Scott Tillman out at Lipscomb

fredjones

12 hours ago, WarEagleCartman said:

I think if nothing else all these kids seeing him on ESPN and running the Elite 11 camp will be more than enough for them to have their picks of top talent. Will they be eyeing a hold ball this year? Probably not. I'm sure this program has more on their mind than a one year turnaround with this hire

I agree for the most part Especially QBs. I wouldnt be surprised if he doesn't have some out of state transfers. This is a game changer for LA. Me personally I HATED playing them because they could be 1-8 and we are 9-0 and they would stick with us untill the last 5mins of the 4th q lol. Bga is small fish. Seems like he wants the Ba's of the world

sum of u scumnickles b crackin ole Ribs of Booger all up.......thinkin 13 of the D2-AA teams won only 5 regular season games or less last season with 2 or 3 not even winnin a single game...and 11 or so could only manage 2 or less region wins.....and sum of u poot brainers or talkin whether this guy was a bad hire cause he aint got no HS HC experience......

....any of u coachin talent geniuses got an answer to what the HC on those 13 teams in d2AA that couldnt find winnin percentages past 500 r qualified to b doin

.....he will leave when his daughter graduates from out there...but in the mean time....great great hire for them Church of Godders...even if he dont do nuthin but stand on the sideline and chew gum

Booger just sayin :thumb:

Edited by Booger

On 1/18/2019 at 2:51 PM, dej08 said:

No one disputes he had a successful career as a player. Playing experience alone doesn't automatically translate to success as a coach, much less as a head coach. You are assuming that because he played in the NFL, somehow he automatically is destined to have success as a coach. It just doesn't work that way. No matter how much Tony Dungy  likes him,  the fact is he is completely unproven as a high school football coach. 

Bowers or Martin don't have a resume like his?  Correct. No super bowls for either of them. Just multiple state championships as high school football coaches. Which is the job we are talking about. So,  yea, I think I'll go with Bowers and Martin's resumes.

From all accounts he is a good man, and has been successful working with QBs in camps. I wish him well, but this seems like a hire designed to win a press conference, with little forethought about his experience or ability to do the job. It wouldn't be the first terrible decision made by this administration.

So what I understand you are saying is that this was a bad decision by the administration to hire Dilfer.   Is that correct?  So the only hire you would make is someone who has HS Head coaching experience?  Really??  I think this hire is a great coaching hire decision!   Is there risk?  YES.   Are there questions whether Dilfer can translate his football knowledge to 15-17 year olds and get them to perform?  Yes!   Do you walk away from hiring a guy like this when the opportunity presents itself?  NO!!   Dilfer may be great or he may fail, but no coach they would hire is a 100% fail proof.  Why not take a chance on someone with a resume this strong?    BTW, news flash......Bowers and Martin were both 1st year coaches at one point, and someone had to “take a chance” on these guys.   I’m sure there were people like you saying, what are they doing, he’s never been a head coach before.   I think it’s crazy and foolish  to forecast “failure” for a guy that comes into this with an extreme amount of football knowledge as compared to most first year HS football coaches.   

1 hour ago, CourtJester said:

I agree no one is a guarantee. I can’t imagine his football knowledge being any greater than Larry Bird’s basketball knowledge. Didn’t work out for Bird. Hope it works out for Dilfer!

Agree.  Not sure that’s a great comparison as HS football is not as difficult as the NBA to win consistently but I get your point.  I never said he wouldn’t fail.   I’m just saying that it’s crazy to say he’s not a good hire today based on his football knowledge and experience.   Can you imagine the response if word got out that Lipscomb had a chance to hire him and didn’t?   Today he’s a great hire, but in time we’ll have 20/20 vision and know whether he was a good hire or not.   There’s just NO argument to say he is a bad hire today.  

• Like 1

On 1/20/2019 at 7:56 PM, LetsGoToWork said:

So what I understand you are saying is that this was a bad decision by the administration to hire Dilfer.   Is that correct?  So the only hire you would make is someone who has HS Head coaching experience?  Really??  I think this hire is a great coaching hire decision!   Is there risk?  YES.   Are there questions whether Dilfer can translate his football knowledge to 15-17 year olds and get them to perform?  Yes!   Do you walk away from hiring a guy like this when the opportunity presents itself?  NO!!   Dilfer may be great or he may fail, but no coach they would hire is a 100% fail proof.  Why not take a chance on someone with a resume this strong?    BTW, news flash......Bowers and Martin were both 1st year coaches at one point, and someone had to “take a chance” on these guys.   I’m sure there were people like you saying, what are they doing, he’s never been a head coach before.   I think it’s crazy and foolish  to forecast “failure” for a guy that comes into this with an extreme amount of football knowledge as compared to most first year HS football coaches.   

I didn't ever say hiring him was a bad decision. I said he was unproven and has zero high school coaching experience, which is true. You just acknowledged hiring him is a risk and their are questions about whether or not he can translate football knowledge to high school players... which are exactly the points I made. 

My comment about how if he didn't succeed as a coach, his hire wouldn't have been the first terrible decision the LA administration made was a shot at the admin, not at Dilfer. Sorry if that confused you.

On 1/20/2019 at 10:58 PM, CourtJester said:

I agree no one is a guarantee. I can’t imagine his football knowledge being any greater than Larry Bird’s basketball knowledge. Didn’t work out for Bird. Hope it works out for Dilfer!

Didn't work out for Bird? The guy coached three seasons.  Records were 58-24, 33-17 (strike season) and 56-26.  Won Coach of the Year in his first season.  Stepped away for health reasons not lack of success.  If Dilfer is as good a coach as Bird, then LA is in good shape

9 hours ago, dej08 said:

I didn't ever say hiring him was a bad decision. I said he was unproven and has zero high school coaching experience, which is true. You just acknowledged hiring him is a risk and their are questions about whether or not he can translate football knowledge to high school players... which are exactly the points I made. 

My comment about how if he didn't succeed as a coach, his hire wouldn't have been the first terrible decision the LA administration made was a shot at the admin, not at Dilfer. Sorry if that confused you.

So, if you're going to ride the fence I'll ask the question... hypothetically, if you had the power to do the hiring, would you have hired him?

14 hours ago, dej08 said:

Yes I admitted there is risk in hiring him, but there would be risk in any hire.  Even proven coaches go to other programs and dont work out i.e. Potter at BA. No guarantees!   

Not confused.   Your last paragraph summed up what I was arguing which is...... AS OF TODAY, this isn’t a bad decision by the administration.  This is a great decision based on the information and facts.  A little unfair to the administration to throw them under the bus re. their past decision making and not acknowledge the decision they made today to hire Dilfer is a great decision today.   It will be proven in later years whether it was or was not a good decision but the decision made AS OF TODAY, is a great one.   Only those administrations/organizations who have a crystal ball make great hiring decisions 100% of the time.  It’s easy to sit on the sidelines and criticize while you have the luxury of watching it all unfold and then at some point in the future point fingers at bad decision making when THiS decision, as of today, is the right decision and I doubt anyone, including you, would’ve walked away from hiring Dilfer.   

Yes this decision won the press conference, but it wasn’t based on that. It was based on a Christian man who grew up as the son of a HS football coach and played at the highest level of his sport and the belief is that he can coach HS football players. He has been around some of the greatest coaches in football so I would assume he has learned a few coaching tips along the way.   Also, I would say being a career QB gives him a leg up on most pros who want to coach. His football IQ is built on extensive offensive knowledge with a great understanding of defenses.   Most head coaches in HS specialize on one side of the ball or the other. Not both.  

None of the above guarantees success, but I wouldn’t bet against him being successful and I would bet you wouldn’t either.