Scott Tillman out at Lipscomb

fredjones

May not have game coaching experience? Let’s see, was a favorite of Tom Dungy, played 4 years HS, played College, was a first round NFL pick, NFL starter, super bowl winner, played the most important position on the field in QB and my guess is if he wanted to coach at the NFL level, a team would hire him. He would be hard pressed to get out coached by any coach around here and if you’re an elite player, I’d assume you’d be smart enough to want to play for coach of this caliber. Where did Bowers or Martin or for that fact any of these HS coaches get their experience and can you honestly say any of these coaches carry a resume like Dilfer? LA has been humbled over the last couple of years and will face adversity while they retool the program but it’s only a matter of time. They now have the foundation down to build upon. 

2 minutes ago, Fortnite said:

May not have game coaching experience? Let’s see, was a favorite of Tom Dungy, played 4 years HS, played College, was a first round NFL pick, NFL starter, super bowl winner, played the most important position on the field in QB and my guess is if he wanted to coach at the NFL level, a team would hire him. He would be hard pressed to get out coached by any coach around here and if you’re an elite player, I’d assume you’d be smart enough to want to play for coach of this caliber. Where did Bowers or Martin or for that fact any of these HS coaches get their experience and can you honestly say any of these coaches carry a resume like Dilfer? LA has been humbled over the last couple of years and will face adversity while they retool the program but it’s only a matter of time. They now have the foundation down to build upon. 

No one disputes he had a successful career as a player. Playing experience alone doesn't automatically translate to success as a coach, much less as a head coach. You are assuming that because he played in the NFL, somehow he automatically is destined to have success as a coach. It just doesn't work that way. No matter how much Tony Dungy  likes him,  the fact is he is completely unproven as a high school football coach. 

Bowers or Martin don't have a resume like his?  Correct. No super bowls for either of them. Just multiple state championships as high school football coaches. Which is the job we are talking about. So,  yea, I think I'll go with Bowers and Martin's resumes.

From all accounts he is a good man, and has been successful working with QBs in camps. I wish him well, but this seems like a hire designed to win a press conference, with little forethought about his experience or ability to do the job. It wouldn't be the first terrible decision made by this administration.

39 minutes ago, Fortnite said:

I am sure he is a great guy and he had a great career playing for some outstanding coaches.  I still say coaching HS football is a different animal.

There is a reason why they went after Ingle first.

23 minutes ago, Fortnite said:

I don’t want to quell your enthusiasm, but the HS coaches you mention were assistant coaches first.

I’ve always had a soft spot for Trent because his son died at age 5 and I couldn’t imagine the pain he endured. But his resume? He doesn’t have one as a coach. His player resume doesn’t translate into him being a good HS coach. Heck, it’s not even that good. The only Super Bowl winning QB to be let go the following year. One pro bowl appearance. Lipscomb already had a WR coach with the same number of pro bowls...

I hope he does great and I wish him the best. 

BGA will be the team to worry about in the middle next year. A lot of very good skill position players returning, but they’ll need to figure out something to improve their line play as I understand most were seniors.

Does Dilfer have a lot to learn? Probably, mostly dealing with parents and administration, etc.  Does he know football?  Absolutely.  Will he be successful? Who knows, but where did you guys want him to start before high school- Pop Warner?  Please see Chris Weinke.  He played through the pros and then some how, magically, headed up IMG Academy before going on to QB coach the Rams, then Bama and now he's at UT?  Sounds pretty successful to me and he never started out as an assistant HS coach anywhere to my knowledge.  Just my opinion.  I hope he does well and I think some of the negativity has to do with self-preservation.

21 minutes ago, chainsaw2 said:

Does Dilfer have a lot to learn? Probably, mostly dealing with parents and administration, etc.  Does he know football?  Absolutely.  Will he be successful? Who knows, but where did you guys want him to start before high school- Pop Warner?  Please see Chris Weinke.  He played through the pros and then some how, magically, headed up IMG Academy before going on to QB coach the Rams, then Bama and now he's at UT?  Sounds pretty successful to me and he never started out as an assistant HS coach anywhere to my knowledge.  Just my opinion.  I hope he does well and I think some of the negativity has to do with self-preservation.

Very impressive media event on campus with Rudy Kalis doing the interview. Check it out on your favorite news tonight. Oh and it made national media exposure as well. Also announced a national search already underway for addditional coaches. No he hasn’t coached a state champ HS team  - just QB’d, read defenses, audibled at the line and has a Super Bowl ring to show for it  but agree completely that he doesn’t have any experience what so ever that translates into this role  

https://www.lipscomb.edu/academy/archive/detail/224/34217

Wow, this is quite a cuop for Lipscomb. I bet you will see kids transferring. It’s all about getting the players. BGA has really turned on the recruiting. They have athletes coming in like crazy, and I’m sure Lipscomb will now. I don’t think you would make a comment like this without giving Dilfer some assurance that he will have the resources he needs to compete.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, dej08 said:

Why is this a huge hire? NFL experience does not translate automatically to being a good coach, and he has zero experience as a high school coach. He's totally unproven.

I think if nothing else all these kids seeing him on ESPN and running the Elite 11 camp will be more than enough for them to have their picks of top talent. Will they be eyeing a hold ball this year? Probably not. I'm sure this program has more on their mind than a one year turnaround with this hire

5 hours ago, dej08 said:

No one disputes he had a successful career as a player. Playing experience alone doesn't automatically translate to success as a coach, much less as a head coach. You are assuming that because he played in the NFL, somehow he automatically is destined to have success as a coach. It just doesn't work that way. No matter how much Tony Dungy  likes him,  the fact is he is completely unproven as a high school football coach. 

Bowers or Martin don't have a resume like his?  Correct. No super bowls for either of them. Just multiple state championships as high school football coaches. Which is the job we are talking about. So,  yea, I think I'll go with Bowers and Martin's resumes.

From all accounts he is a good man, and has been successful working with QBs in camps. I wish him well, but this seems like a hire designed to win a press conference, with little forethought about his experience or ability to do the job. It wouldn't be the first terrible decision made by this administration.

I can't say doubt isn't unwarranted. There's a risk to hiring someone who has never coached before no matter how you slice it. But Trent has a great football mind. If he can teach and transfer knowledge of the game one iota as much as he knows it, LA made a great hire