Scott Tillman out at Lipscomb

fredjones

9 hours ago, LetsGoToWork said:

Yes I admitted there is risk in hiring him, but there would be risk in any hire.  Even proven coaches go to other programs and dont work out i.e. Potter at BA. No guarantees!   

Not confused.   Your last paragraph summed up what I was arguing which is...... AS OF TODAY, this isn’t a bad decision by the administration.  This is a great decision based on the information and facts.  A little unfair to the administration to throw them under the bus re. their past decision making and not acknowledge the decision they made today to hire Dilfer is a great decision today.   It will be proven in later years whether it was or was not a good decision but the decision made AS OF TODAY, is a great one.   Only those administrations/organizations who have a crystal ball make great hiring decisions 100% of the time.  It’s easy to sit on the sidelines and criticize while you have the luxury of watching it all unfold and then at some point in the future point fingers at bad decision making when THiS decision, as of today, is the right decision and I doubt anyone, including you, would’ve walked away from hiring Dilfer.   

Yes this decision won the press conference, but it wasn’t based on that. It was based on a Christian man who grew up as the son of a HS football coach and played at the highest level of his sport and the belief is that he can coach HS football players. He has been around some of the greatest coaches in football so I would assume he has learned a few coaching tips along the way.   Also, I would say being a career QB gives him a leg up on most pros who want to coach. His football IQ is built on extensive offensive knowledge with a great understanding of defenses.   Most head coaches in HS specialize on one side of the ball or the other. Not both.  

None of the above guarantees success, but I wouldn’t bet against him being successful and I would bet you wouldn’t either.  

OK, cool.

15 hours ago, tradertwo said:

So, if you're going to ride the fence I'll ask the question... hypothetically, if you had the power to do the hiring, would you have hired him?

Fair question, although it's kind of impossible for me to say without knowing who else they interviewed and who else would have accepted the job. I didn't see the press conference, but didn't Glenn say they interviewed a large number of candidates?

My preference would have been a coach with previous Head coaching experience at the high school level, preferably at a private school. It is possible, and even probable, thats exactly what they wanted in a candidate (Ingle Martin for example), but could not get any of them to accept the job. Maybe Dilfer was the best option of what they could get, we'll never know. I do know that if I were a coach, I'd be leery of accepting a job at Lipscomb after the way they have treated some coaches and athletic programs.

9 hours ago, dej08 said:

Fair question, although it's kind of impossible for me to say without knowing who else they interviewed and who else would have accepted the job. I didn't see the press conference, but didn't Glenn say they interviewed a large number of candidates?

My preference would have been a coach with previous Head coaching experience at the high school level, preferably at a private school. It is possible, and even probable, thats exactly what they wanted in a candidate (Ingle Martin for example), but could not get any of them to accept the job. Maybe Dilfer was the best option of what they could get, we'll never know. I do know that if I were a coach, I'd be leery of accepting a job at Lipscomb after the way they have treated some coaches and athletic programs.

I do agree with the last statement... honor between administrations and coaches isn't as common as it should be anymore, and that's most places. I also agree that Dilfer is completely untested and unproven, but would expect any reasonable person to acknowledge that the potential to rapidly change the culture there with him could maybe be matched by only a GQ, Rankin, or maybe Bowers announcement (other than some other NFL QB with a ring). Whether he can coach or not will be evident soon enough.

1 hour ago, tradertwo said:

I do agree with the last statement... honor between administrations and coaches isn't as common as it should be anymore, and that's most places. I also agree that Dilfer is completely untested and unproven, but would expect any reasonable person to acknowledge that the potential to rapidly change the culture there with him could maybe be matched by only a GQ, Rankin, or maybe Bowers announcement (other than some other NFL QB with a ring). Whether he can coach or not will be evident soon enough.

Curious on the statement you guys made re. “I’d be leery of accepting a job at Lipscomb after the way they have treated some coaches and athletic programs”.   What are u guys referring to specifically?

46 minutes ago, LetsGoToWork said:

Curious on the statement you guys made re. “I’d be leery of accepting a job at Lipscomb after the way they have treated some coaches and athletic programs”.   What are u guys referring to specifically?

That was his quote, I was being more general and not specific to Lipscomb. 

Back when CPA and others were moving from D1 to D2, ole @Booger said something about Lipscomb and CPA would be battling for the AA Middle Region title.  I laughed at him, and for the last two years I've felt pretty confident about that laugh, but now... Maybe Booger does "nose" stuff!

Who wouldn't have hired him? It was a national news type hire. He seems like a great guy and I'm sure he'll assemble a top notch staff. It will be interesting to watch. I wish Lipscomb well and my guess is they will do very well. Do I hope over the next eight years that they go to 4 semifinal games, 4 championship games and win two of them? Nah, but you guys can understand that I'm sure.

See you guys next August unless the rumors I'm hearing about Tony Romo taking over at Goodpasture are true!

:shock:

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, BreadTruck44 said:

Back when CPA and others were moving from D1 to D2, ole @Booger said something about Lipscomb and CPA would be battling for the AA Middle Region title.  I laughed at him, and for the last two years I've felt pretty confident about that laugh, but now... Maybe Booger does "nose" stuff!

Who wouldn't have hired him? It was a national news type hire. He seems like a great guy and I'm sure he'll assemble a top notch staff. It will be interesting to watch. I wish Lipscomb well and my guess is they will do very well. Do I hope over the next eight years that they go to 4 semifinal games, 4 championship games and win two of them? Nah, but you guys can understand that I'm sure.

See you guys next August unless the rumors I'm hearing about Tony Romo taking over at Goodpasture are true!

:shock:

With time things always change.  I didn’t think CPA could ever beat Lipscomb during the Coach McAdamss/Coach Matthews era.......both teams got new head coaches, one school took an aggressive approach to adding talent and the tide changed immediately.   The next few years should be interesting to watch.  Looking at the D2 AA division, it would be healthy for Lipscomb to become competitive again as the division is so weak outside of CPA, Lausanne, BGA, and FRA.   Winning state championships in this division just isn’t that difficult as there were only two teams that could’ve won it this year.....CPA and Lausanne.   Being able to predict the D2 AA division state champion before the season begins is boring.  It would be great if there were 4 or more teams each year that could truly contend for the championship.  

35 minutes ago, LetsGoToWork said:

With time things always change.  I didn’t think CPA could ever beat Lipscomb during the Coach McAdamss/Coach Matthews era.......both teams got new head coaches, one school took an aggressive approach to adding talent and the tide changed immediately.   The next few years should be interesting to watch.  Looking at the D2 AA division, it would be healthy for Lipscomb to become competitive again as the division is so weak outside of CPA, Lausanne, BGA, and FRA.   Winning state championships in this division just isn’t that difficult as there were only two teams that could’ve won it this year.....CPA and Lausanne.   Being able to predict the D2 AA division state champion before the season begins is boring.  It would be great if there were 4 or more teams each year that could truly contend for the championship.  

It was bugging me after I posted the above as I knew I missed a school I would consider above average in D2 AA and that was Notre Dame.  Sorry Booger.  All said, I still contend the overall division is weak.   

9 hours ago, LetsGoToWork said:

If you are a Lipscomb person you know exactly what he is talking about.

Your AD pushes out a state  championship coach that he has worked alongside for 40 years in order to hire his son to replace him. A guy that went to school there K-College and had dedicated his entire life to the  school. A guy that won a state championship and a dozen district championships in girls basketball and won 7 state championships and 3 runner ups in baseball.

Yet the AD gets to retire on his own decision because he saved the school from having to play BA, MBA and Ensworth in football.

Classy.

• Like 1