mail it in

jimb1972

3 hours ago, jimb1972 said:

For these two classes its Greenville and Alcoa. Everybody else just playing for fun! Good luck to all!

GO JACKETS!

3 hours ago, jimb1972 said:

For these two classes its Greenville and Alcoa. Everybody else just playing for fun! Good luck to all!

GO JACKETS!

And it sure is FUN!!!

4 hours ago, jimb1972 said:

GO JACKETS!

Don't agree. Sure, in a couple of weeks Alcoa and Greeneville will probably be hoisting gold balls. But everyone else playing for fun? They will be playing to win and if they don't believe they can win they would not be playing at this time of the year. 

And if they do win what a story they will have to tell.

16 hours ago, jimb1972 said:

GO JACKETS!

In my opinion, what ultimately separates Alcoa, Greeneviile, and Maryville is not just their execution but their quality of depth. The very top 6A schools can match Maryville's quality of depth. But very few 3A and 4A schools can match the roster numbers of Alcoa and Greeneville, and none can match their quality of depth.

• Like 1

I agree with this. 

2 hours ago, midtnmale said:

In my opinion, what ultimately separates Alcoa, Greeneviile, and Maryville is not just their execution but their quality of depth. The very top 6A schools can match Maryville's quality of depth. But very few 3A and 4A schools can match the roster numbers of Alcoa and Greeneville, and none can match their quality of depth.

I agree

I saw the squad numbers that Alcoa had on their sideline last year when Covington played them for the Gold Ball. I have no idea how they produce squads of that size and remain in the 3A classification. I hear stuff on Coach T about recruiting, etc., but I have no knowledge of what they are doing.

I know that Covington has no special pipeline to bring in athletes, but we are fielding one of the best 3A football teams in the state, both last year and this year. We have also fielded good to great teams in baseball, girls softball, and some of the track events. As far as I know, we are playing with "whoever gets off the bus".

I personally didn't fear my Covington Chargers facing Alcoa last year. I figure they pull their pants on one leg at a time just like we do, and they can only put 11 men on the field at one time. 

If they win 17 or 20 championships in a row, more power to them. I would sure like to meet them again, though.

The major difference with Maryville, Alcoa , Greeneville yes squad depth and the execution part comes with these kids grow up running the same system the high school runs from 5 yrs old in pee wee ball and the support the little ones get from the high school kids and coaches they are cultivating the culture from a young age.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Devilsx4 said:

The major difference with Maryville, Alcoa , Greeneville yes squad depth and the execution part comes with these kids grow up running the same system the high school runs from 5 yrs old in pee wee ball and the support the little ones get from the high school kids and coaches they are cultivating the culture from a young age.

That and that they are all city school systems....