mail it in

jimb1972

Maybe it’s just me, but I would think teams would want to play as tough a non region schedule as possible. I know there are factors that would affect that, such as travel, what type of gate it would bring in,  where the possible game would fit in with the region schedule, etc., but it only makes you better going into the playoffs. I can only speak for what Springfield does, or what I think anyway.  We always play Clarksville because it is one of, if not the longest running series in the state. Other than that the coach always tries to schedule 5A and 6A, or at least traditionally strong 4A, teams to help to prepare the team for the playoff competition they will face. Granted, you don’t always know how strong those teams will be in the upcoming years when the schedule is made so some of those teams may not be what you thought they were going to be. 

I know some teams prefer to go undefeated, but if you play cupcakes out of region does that really make you better? You don’t have to play the same teams year in and year out, but it would help in the long run. Who wouldn’t want to see games like say Beech or Henry County vs Oakland in Middle Tennessee, or Greeneville vs Alcoa or Maryville? I know fans would love it. Just some food for thought. Didn’t mean to get so long winded. 

8 minutes ago, JacketLover said:

Maybe it’s just me, but I would think teams would want to play as tough a non region schedule as possible. I know there are factors that would affect that, such as travel, what type of gate it would bring in,  where the possible game would fit in with the region schedule, etc., but it only makes you better going into the playoffs. I can only speak for what Springfield does, or what I think anyway.  We always play Clarksville because it is one of, if not the longest running series in the state. Other than that the coach always tries to schedule 5A and 6A, or at least traditionally strong 4A, teams to help to prepare the team for the playoff competition they will face. Granted, you don’t always know how strong those teams will be in the upcoming years when the schedule is made so some of those teams may not be what you thought they were going to be. 

I know some teams prefer to go undefeated, but if you play cupcakes out of region does that really make you better? You don’t have to play the same teams year in and year out, but it would help in the long run. Who wouldn’t want to see games like say Beech or Henry County vs Oakland in Middle Tennessee, or Greeneville vs Alcoa or Maryville? I know fans would love it. Just some food for thought. Didn’t mean to get so long winded. 

Agreed. There are way too many teams in the Knox area for Alcoa to ever have to travel out of state to fill a 10 game schedule. I guess the embarrassment of losing to a 3A school is just too much to handle.... Sad...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Throwdeslant said:

Agreed. There are way too many teams in the Knox area for Alcoa to ever have to travel out of state to fill a 10 game schedule. I guess the embarrassment of losing to a 3A school is just too much to handle.... Sad...

Slant, isnt there a couple of 6A teams really close to Alcoa ? My memeory is a little fuzzy, why wont they play Alcoa?

12 hours ago, 32hammer said:

Slant, isnt there a couple of 6A teams really close to Alcoa ? My memeory is a little fuzzy, why wont they play Alcoa?

There are really no benefits for a bigger school to put a good smaller school, such as Alcoa, on the non conference schedule. If you win, your technically supposed to win, and if you lose it looks bad because it's to a smaller school. And no team except Maryville actually expects to beat Alcoa, if you're being completely honest.