Stratford @ Covington

bigmac45

Additional observations after finishing watching Stratford Fairview 1st half. The above/preceding observations were after only seeing 1st qtr and one play or so of 2nd qtr(that conversion of a 4th & 1 by Stratford on their own 26 to start the 2nd Qtr.

Additional to previous assessments,  Fairview is Big & slow, but they are/were also tiny. Fairview OL was Big but that's all.  Backs are/were little bitty. Look at 40, he looks like small middle school kid as do many of the others. Fairview's defense was very small, tiny as well. I have to give em big credit for doing as well as they did against Stratford. 

Stratford has 99 problems but not having athletes ain't one. They got 22 as good, I'd say better than any team any class in the state, athletes wise. But that's where it ends

At half 2 punts, maybe 7 yards tops at most. Punt snap looks like they're snapping a beach ball back there.The Punt looks like they're punting a beach ball as well. It's a hope & a prayer that it(the punt) gets back to the LOS, that's best case scenario hoping/considering the snap gets back there at all or over punter's head etc or blocked.

Offensively it's give to athlete RB & hope he out athletes d, which it is evident they are capable of doing. He would so benefit from a real scheme, some deception, misdirection. This team could be outstanding, they are just getting by by out athleting opponents. It definitely exposes 3A, way too many mediocre teams in 3A

Stratford Team Indicators(5 star scale)

Scheme is  NO Stars

Athletes 5 Stars

Kicking Game No stars

Run Game 3 Stars (Covington will have 10 plus tfl's)

Passing is a 1 Star at best

Defense 4 Stars

Stratford is the Bad News Bears of 3A but loaded with raw talent

They are surviving,as you can do with great athletes, on defense, Be it back yard defense at that.

Covington will expose em

Covington will reverse em, trap em, boot em, fake punt em, trick play em, take advantage of the litany of errors, field position

Easy to see how they've advanced & easy to see how/why they were 2-8 as well

15 minutes ago, wolfchase said:

Additional observations after finishing watching Stratford Fairview 1st half. The above/preceding observations were after only seeing 1st qtr and one play or so of 2nd qtr(that conversion of a 4th & 1 by Stratford on their own 26 to start the 2nd Qtr.

Additional to previous assessments,  Fairview is Big & slow, but they are/were also tiny. Fairview OL was Big but that's all.  Backs are/were little bitty. Look at 40, he looks like small middle school kid as do many of the others. Fairview's defense was very small, tiny as well. I have to give em big credit for doing as well as they did against Stratford. 

Stratford has 99 problems but not having athletes ain't one. They got 22 as good, I'd say better than any team any class in the state, athletes wise. But that's where it ends

At half 2 punts, maybe 7 yards tops at most. Punt snap looks like they're snapping a beach ball back there.The Punt looks like they're punting a beach ball as well. It's a hope & a prayer that it(the punt) gets back to the LOS, that's best case scenario hoping/considering the snap gets back there at all or over punter's head etc or blocked.

Offensively it's give to athlete RB & hope he out athletes d, which it is evident they are capable of doing. He would so benefit from a real scheme, some deception, misdirection. This team could be outstanding, they are just getting by by out athleting opponents. It definitely exposes 3A, way too many mediocre teams in 3A

Stratford Team Indicators(5 star scale)

Scheme is  NO Stars

Athletes 5 Stars

Kicking Game No stars

Run Game 3 Stars (Covington will have 10 plus tfl's)

Passing is a 1 Star at best

Defense 4 Stars

Stratford is the Bad News Bears of 3A but loaded with raw talent

They are surviving,as you can do with great athletes, on defense, Be it back yard defense at that.

Covington will expose em

Covington will reverse em, trap em, boot em, fake punt em, trick play em, take advantage of the litany of errors, field position

Easy to see how they've advanced & easy to see how/why they were 2-8 as well

Thanks for giving Fairview some credit. I think...

Those kids your calling out being slow, tiny, not very good, etc. are what we got/had to play with this year. No one associated with the team claimed us to be world beaters but we did the best we could with what we had to work with. Including winning our region and beating a loaded East Nashville team the round before with 6 D1 recruits. We didn't out athlete them. We out executed and out coached them. Obviously we were out matched player on player against Stratford big time as well. We were on the 5 yard line twice and failed to score and that's why we lost the game. The saturated mattress of a field we were playing on favored Stratford's size and strength. They won. Credit goes to them. They earned it. We're very proud of what this Fairview team accomplished this year when we were supposed to be "down". Stratford has beaten the region 5 and 6 champions in consecutive weeks on the road without over 20 people in their stands. All of your analysis sounds good in theory but you haven't mentioned much about Stratford's offensive and defensive lines. They completely dominated in both of their last 2 games. I dont know much about Covington so I won't make a prediction on what will happen Friday night. But I'll say this. Don't be surprised if you aren't scratching your head in the 4th quarter Friday night wondering how this could happen against such a terrible 2-8 team. 

Good luck to both and may the best team win. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Swarm said:

Thanks for giving Fairview some credit. I think...

Those kids your calling out being slow, tiny, not very good, etc. are what we got/had to play with this year. No one associated with the team claimed us to be world beaters but we did the best we could with what we had to work with. Including winning our region and beating a loaded East Nashville team the round before with 6 D1 recruits. We didn't out athlete them. We out executed and out coached them. Obviously we were out matched player on player against Stratford big time as well. We were on the 5 yard line twice and failed to score and that's why we lost the game. The saturated mattress of a field we were playing on favored Stratford's size and strength. They won. Credit goes to them. They earned it. We're very proud of what this Fairview team accomplished this year when we were supposed to be "down". Stratford has beaten the region 5 and 6 champions in consecutive weeks on the road without over 20 people in their stands. All of your analysis sounds good in theory but you haven't mentioned much about Stratford's offensive and defensive lines. They completely dominated in both of their last 2 games. I dont know much about Covington so I won't make a prediction on what will happen Friday night. But I'll say this. Don't be surprised if you aren't scratching your head in the 4th quarter Friday night wondering how this could happen against such a terrible 2-8 team. 

Good luck to both and may the best team win. 

Fairview played 10 sophomores who saw meaningful reps for them this year.  Those “tiny middle school looking” sophomores are going to get bigger/faster/stronger and are going to continue to get better and better as football players.  They got better and better this year with every game that they played.  Fairview played teams that were bigger, faster, stronger, deeper, and more experienced and it showed this year.  Page, Ravenwood, Waverly, East Nashville, Camden, and a red-got Stratford team were all great battles against good football teams.  

Truth Swarm, hats off to Fairview, athlete wise they shouldn't have even been in the game with Straford. Your guys are scrappy and played hard. Impressive on that front

Covington however, I encourage you to watch a youtube of a Covington game, you'll see the speed disparity. Covington like yall plays hard however they also got 4 backs that'll take it to paydirt. I'd say all (4) at 4:9 or better with (2) 4:4 or so and that's with lots of deception/trickeration. They're not that big either but not lacking in run skill or speed

Playoff football essentially at this point usually favors the team that limits(makes) the fewest mistakes. Covington is solid in all phases. If Stratford make those mistakes against Covington, it will be running clock 

They were 2-8 for a reason and appear they are who I think they are. Athletes everywhere with little rhyme or reason. Anything can happen . I just think they are on a run cause they have played teams that they could compensate their lack of skill, execution, their plethora of  follies with better athletes. Won't be the case at Covington. Straford will have better athletes but Covington will have superior execution

3 hours ago, wolfchase said:

Truth Swarm, hats off to Fairview, athlete wise they shouldn't have even been in the game with Straford. Your guys are scrappy and played hard. Impressive on that front

Covington however, I encourage you to watch a youtube of a Covington game, you'll see the speed disparity. Covington like yall plays hard however they also got 4 backs that'll take it to paydirt. I'd say all (4) at 4:9 or better with (2) 4:4 or so and that's with lots of deception/trickeration. They're not that big either but not lacking in run skill or speed

Playoff football essentially at this point usually favors the team that limits(makes) the fewest mistakes. Covington is solid in all phases. If Stratford make those mistakes against Covington, it will be running clock 

They were 2-8 for a reason and appear they are who I think they are. Athletes everywhere with little rhyme or reason. Anything can happen . I just think they are on a run cause they have played teams that they could compensate their lack of skill, execution, their plethora of  follies with better athletes. Won't be the case at Covington. Straford will have better athletes but Covington will have superior execution

LOL 2 at 4.4 speed?? No I know you must be on some of that Memphis kush. Alabama probably doesn't have 2 guys who run legit 4.4

A study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research found that the hand-timed method produces average 40 times 0.31 seconds faster, and as much as 0.42 seconds faster. Timed electronically, your 4.4 seconds quickly become 4.71.

4 hours ago, wolfchase said:

2 running backs on the same high school team running a 4.4? Are they York transfers?

5 hours ago, wolfchase said:

Covington however, I encourage you to watch a youtube of a Covington game, you'll see the speed disparity. Covington like yall plays hard however they also got 4 backs that'll take it to paydirt. I'd say all (4) at 4:9 or better with (2) 4:4 or so and that's with lots of deception/trickeration. They're not that big either but not lacking in run skill or speed Covington is solid in all phases. If Stratford make those mistakes against Covington, it will be running clock 

Covington will have superior execution

Hmmm......:popcorneater:

Not so fast my friend..

You not gonna beat Covington allowing starting field position at or near midfield

You not gonna beat Covington going for it on 4 down(whether it be 4th & 1 or 4th & 5) on your own end of the field, it will be a running clock early if so

You're not gonna beat Covington punting the football back to the LOS

You're not gonna beat Covington snapping the ball over QB/RB's head and losing yardage(negative plays)

You not gonna beat Covington losing turnovers(fumbles, interceptions)

Covington is way better than Fairview(take a look, tell me your take), Covington would beat imo Fairview like 56-14 or 56-0, something like that. With that being said Fairview was in the game and could of with a few busted plays beaten Stratford, despite the talent, size & speed disparity they(Stratford didn't run away with it or ever really put em away). Punts for negative yardage, snaps overhead for 20-30 yard loses, 4 for 4 at least (100%) on 4th down attempts, that's a rarity, kicking extra points when actually going for two was the logical thing to do, giving up starting field position at mid field etc.. And tell me, was most of Fairview's defense and 4 RB's/QB all less than say 155-165 pounds. And for real, is it not true that none of FHS's backs would start on either Covington or Stratfords team, is that not accurate?

I think Stratford is content, they look happy with what they've accomplished by beating PC. They didn't look too inspired verse FHS. Did you guys agree?

As with Covington, I don't think they were thinking they'd beat PC again this year after getting em last yr, however when they, coach's, players, fans and all heard PC had gotten upset their eyes and spirit were delighted. Their road to Cookville just got paved was the overwhelming thoughts

Google search Covington vs Melrose 2 Nov 2018 youtube, they're playing a similar team (Melrose) to Stratford thou not as overall talented as SHS. Watch that game and see what ya think

Hard to win Playoff games when you gotta overcome all the obstacles

Hard to win any game when you allow yor opponent to start possessions at mid field or better all night and you yourself have to consistently go 80 plus

1 hour ago, wolfchase said:

Not so fast my friend..

You not gonna beat Covington allowing starting field position at or near midfield

You not gonna beat Covington going for it on 4 down(whether it be 4th & 1 or 4th & 5) on your own end of the field, it will be a running clock early if so

You're not gonna beat Covington punting the football back to the LOS

You're not gonna beat Covington snapping the ball over QB/RB's head and losing yardage(negative plays)

You not gonna beat Covington losing turnovers(fumbles, interceptions)

Covington is way better than Fairview(take a look, tell me your take), Covington would beat imo Fairview like 56-14 or 56-0, something like that. With that being said Fairview was in the game and could of with a few busted plays beaten Stratford, despite the talent, size & speed disparity they(Stratford didn't run away with it or ever really put em away). Punts for negative yardage, snaps overhead for 20-30 yard loses, 4 for 4 at least (100%) on 4th down attempts, that's a rarity, kicking extra points when actually going for two was the logical thing to do, giving up starting field position at mid field etc.. And tell me, was most of Fairview's defense and 4 RB's/QB all less than say 155-165 pounds. And for real, is it not true that none of FHS's backs would start on either Covington or Stratfords team, is that not accurate?

I think Stratford is content, they look happy with what they've accomplished by beating PC. They didn't look too inspired verse FHS. Did you guys agree?

As with Covington, I don't think they were thinking they'd beat PC again this year after getting em last yr, however when they, coach's, players, fans and all heard PC had gotten upset their eyes and spirit were delighted. Their road to Cookville just got paved was the overwhelming thoughts

Google search Covington vs Melrose 2 Nov 2018 youtube, they're playing a similar team (Melrose) to Stratford thou not as overall talented as SHS. Watch that game and see what ya think

Hard to win Playoff games when you gotta overcome all the obstacles

Hard to win any game when you allow yor opponent to start possessions at mid field or better all night and you yourself have to consistently go 80 plus

You're doing 2 things here. Giving Covington way too much credit and not giving Fairview nearly enough. That's called wearing Homer goggles and makes it difficult to take you serious . If 6a (still playing) Ravenwood couldn't beat us 56-0 theres no way Covington does. Regardless, we don't play in the Imaginary Football League and this threads not about Fairview. We're done. 

I'm very anxious to see how this game plays out. If Covington is as good as you say and even close to good as Ravenwood you wont have any trouble with Stratford. Heck you may even give the F5 all they want. :popcorneater:

• Like 2