Stratford @ Covington

bigmac45

9 minutes ago, Swarm said:

Considering all of this it sounds like Covington was lucky to escape from their own house with a win. As the old saying goes, "I'd rather be lucky than good" Not to say that Covington isn't good. They obviously are very good but I have to say I told you so. As did a few others like Firebird, Howdoitknow, etc. Stratford was not to be taken lightly. All that film dont show you the power and speed they have across the board on both sides. 

Wolfchase, you made it out like Stratford couldn't stay on the field with you guys. You were wrong. Math and conventional wisdom go out the window when your competitor can beat you up. If this game was played 2 months ago all that stuff you said would apply. 

Congrats again to Coach Wheeler, the players, and the Covington community. State championship appearances are extremely hard to come by. You guys do it often and that says everything about who you are and how great you're program is.  We wish you the best of luck from Fairview!

You are correct, in that I personally felt very lucky to walk out of the stadium last night with a win. Stratford was no joke. Somebody said afterward that Stratford may have been the best team we faced all year. We play in a tough Region (7-3A), but I do think this playoff version of Stratford was as tough as any team we saw all year.

What a season by my Chargers. Going 14-0 is tough. I never thought we would do that. Coach Marty Wheeler and staff do a great job with our team. He may be the most underrated coach in Tennessee. And, how tough are our players. They were muddy, drenching wet, and had to be tired after 4 quarters. That defensive stand they made in OT will go down as a super moment in Charger history.

On to Cookeville.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RecordBook said:

Good run Spartans! Time to remove the interim tag!

For sure! This coach deserves it. If Stratford had the resources of a Covington, Alcoa, etc, they would probably rule the roost. If this coach develops this talent with a good weight program, strengthens their fundamentals, and cut down on mistakes, this would be the team to beat in middle Tennessee. Apparently, talent and size abounds in this area of Nashville. Good luck in the future, Spartans!

• Like 1