Stratford @ Covington

bigmac45

As an old guy who pulls for Covington, let's disregard the disrespect issue. I watch the play on the field and let others worry about that. Stratford played even with Covington until OT, and I was worried about the outcome until the Stratford QB was tackled on fourth down in OT. My compliments to Stratford for their play on the field.

I am glad to get the win, regardless of score. That's why I don't like to predict a score beforehand. It's the same formula for success in every playoff game until the Championship - win and advance, lose and go home.

covington advances. 'Nuff said.

1 minute ago, CHARGERFAN said:

As an old guy who pulls for Covington, let's disregard the disrespect issue. I watch the play on the field and let others worry about that. Stratford played even with Covington until OT, and I was worried about the outcome until the Stratford QB was tackled on fourth down in OT. My compliments to Stratford for their play on the field.

I am glad to get the win, regardless of score. That's why I don't like to predict a score beforehand. It's the same formula for success in every playoff game until the Championship - win and advance, lose and go home.

Get that championship!

10 minutes ago, CHARGERFAN said:

You are truly a wise sage. Thank you

38 minutes ago, JoeBlow777 said:

On a dry field, Covington beats this Stratford team by a lot. I can promise you that. The wet field conditions didn’t change how Stratfords big back wanted to run, but Covington’s speeds was 100% negated. I was quite surprise by the special teams of Stratford. After some of the comments on here this week i expected a lot less. They were better than Covington tonight on special teams. 

Well then if that’s the case then I can say on a dry field Fairview’s passing game and wide run game is also not negated.  That’s the exact same argument that you’re making right now.  

Stratford came to play and won those games and played hard tonight not because of a field but because they just got hot at the right time and had a strong run.  I give them their due credit.  They weren’t a fluke.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, howdoitknow said:

Well then if that’s the case then I can say on a dry field Fairview’s passing game and wide run game is also not negated.  That’s the exact same argument that you’re making right now.  

Stratford came to play and won those games and played hard tonight not because of a field but because they just got hot at the right time and had a strong run.  I give them their due credit.  They weren’t a fluke.  

I did not say they were a fluke at all! They deserved to be where they were. You can only simply play the games in the conditions that you were dealt. Stratford played well throughout the playoffs for sure! There was nothing flukey about them. I was simply stating to the guy who was saying that "Stratford smashed Covington's head into the mud" that on a dry field Covington probably has a running clock. 

6 minutes ago, JoeBlow777 said:

I did not say they were a fluke at all! They deserved to be where they were. You can only simply play the games in the conditions that you were dealt. Stratford played well throughout the playoffs for sure! There was nothing flukey about them. I was simply stating to the guy who was saying that "Stratford smashed Covington's head into the mud" that on a dry field Covington probably has a running clock. 

Running clock?

1 hour ago, JoeBlow777 said:

On a dry field, Covington beats this Stratford team by a lot. I can promise you that. The wet field conditions didn’t change how Stratfords big back wanted to run, but Covington’s speeds was 100% negated. I was quite surprise by the special teams of Stratford. After some of the comments on here this week i expected a lot less. They were better than Covington tonight on special teams. 

Stratfords big back  scored every TD he got vs Camden on pitch sweeps that were long 50 plus yard tds ..if he was forced to run between the tackles then  it changed everything about how he runs He is no one trick pony.He has all the tools 

As far as your prediction of a running clock  thats all in your head. While you make predictions for a running  clock on a dry field how about tomorrows lottery numbers ? 

Edited by Beagle

Haven't read any of the board yet, but Stratford had their chances. They are definitely the Bad News Bears of High School Football(thou Covington joined em somewhat at times tonight) Covington did block a punt early to provide an early score then their 60 of 63made attempts kicker missed the PAT. I don't think they went for it on 4th down much tonight at all, but they continued to give up terrible kickoff field position. Why Stratford didn't go for two, I'll never understand. Could of won it with a 2 pt try. Never have I seen a team have more negative plays and still be in a game. They prolly average close to 100 yards in plays for loss. Covington trying a fake punt could have cost themselves  the game too on their last possession(Stratford must of rubbed off on em), thought it was a bad decision but Stratford stalled and couln't capitalize, with a holding penalty negating a 20-25 yard run and then both settled for OT . You would of thought OT was Stratford's for the taking, esp with the missed PAT. However With 1st & goal from the 10 only needing a score an PAT or 2pt conversion for the win negative plays happened as they had all night long.  Soon instead of being on the 10 they were back to the 19-20 yard line with & 3rd & goal. A bad snap(had numerous of em all night) a tfl , maybe a delay of game and they were out of range & in OT desperation mode. 4 plays from the 10 to score went 9 yards backwards on 1st 2 then desperation pass knocked down and 4 & goal from 20 it's over

Edited by wolfchase

24 minutes ago, wolfchase said:

Haven't read any of the board yet, but Stratford had their chances. They are definitely the Bad News Bears of High School Football(thou Covington joined em somewhat at times tonight) Covington did block a punt early to provide an early score then their 60 of 63made attempts kicker missed the PAT. I don't think they went for it on 4th down much tonight at all, but they continued to give up terrible kickoff field position. Why Stratford didn't go for two, I'll never understand. Could of won it with a 2 pt try. Never have I seen a team have more negative plays and still be in a game. They prolly average close to 100 yards in plays for loss. Covington trying a fake punt could have cost themselves  the game too on their last possession(Stratford must of rubbed off on em), thought it was a bad decision but Stratford stalled and couln't capitalize, with a holding penalty negating a 20-25 yard run and then both settled for OT . You would of thought OT was Stratford's for the taking, esp with the missed PAT. However With 1st & goal from the 10 only needing a score an PAT or 2pt conversion for the win negative plays happened as they had all night long.  Soon instead of being on the 10 they were back to the 19-20 yard line with & 3rd & goal. A bad snap(had numerous of em all night) a tfl , maybe a delay of game and they were out of range & in OT desperation mode. 4 plays from the 10 to score went 9 yards backwards on 1st 2 then desperation pass knocked down and 4 & goal from 20 it's over

I thought Stratford should have went for 2 also when it was 14-7 and they scored in the 4th.  They put that kicker in some tough moments tonight kicking off, punting, and having to make PATs and he came through when called on.  The punt with under a minute to go in regulation was such a great play in a critical situation.  Covington’s special teams were awful.  Stratford won that part of the game tonight for sure.  

8 hours ago, CHARGERFAN said:

7 hours ago, wolfchase said:

7 hours ago, howdoitknow said:

I thought Stratford should have went for 2 also when it was 14-7 and they scored in the 4th.  They put that kicker in some tough moments tonight kicking off, punting, and having to make PATs and he came through when called on.  The punt with under a minute to go in regulation was such a great play in a critical situation.  Covington’s special teams were awful.  Stratford won that part of the game tonight for sure.  

Considering all of this it sounds like Covington was lucky to escape from their own house with a win. As the old saying goes, "I'd rather be lucky than good" Not to say that Covington isn't good. They obviously are very good but I have to say I told you so. As did a few others like Firebird, Howdoitknow, etc. Stratford was not to be taken lightly. All that film dont show you the power and speed they have across the board on both sides. 

Wolfchase, you made it out like Stratford couldn't stay on the field with you guys. You were wrong. Math and conventional wisdom go out the window when your competitor can beat you up. If this game was played 2 months ago all that stuff you said would apply. 

Congrats again to Coach Wheeler, the players, and the Covington community. State championship appearances are extremely hard to come by. You guys do it often and that says everything about who you are and how great you're program is.  We wish you the best of luck from Fairview!