1A semi final Greenback @ Whitwell

orngnblk

52 minutes ago, GBKEES said:

This LB talk got me to thinking . 

I actually thought that #55 was our leading tackler and he was for the first half of the season and is a close second.  Our DL makes a lot of tackles, 160 total to be exact compared to LB's at 104.5.  This is according to the on-line stats.  I'm no statistician but that seems like a lot of tackles for a DL.  There were a lot of games where the LB's have few tackle because the RB's weren't getting past the LOS.

I wasn't around last year so I don't have a point of reference here so I have a question.  There were two LB's last year that had 130+ tackles, why is that?  Is the line play that much better this year?  I know Gilbert was a great LB but most of the time the RB's are getting stopped before they get to the LB's.  I know #3 hasn't played as much defense this year because of the early injury but he is at only a fraction of the tackles he had last year.

DB's have made their share of tackles this year but the majority of them have been against the passing teams as they should be.

Anyway. Just curious.  Either way it works because rushing yards have been hard to come by for opposing teams since the first game.

To be honest its probaby more the competition than anything else.We have played some teams with VERY poor line play and our Dline didnt get man handled and made alot of plays on the LoS.Our front line and second level will get a true test Fri night.I am positive we are up for the test.I have done alot of watching,thinking and talking to few folks this week because like most of the time this time of year its hard to gauge how good you are playing the teams we unfortunately have to play.My confidence is much higher now and we just need to get that first hit and settle in its gonna be a tuff one for both of us.Im with Ole Pirate we need to stand toe to toe and punch them straight in the mouth and run the dang ball THEN do what we do.WHS is on a big high but the have never been here before and they dont know how to act and they are wanting to take something that is not theirs!I challenge our boys to throw off the gloves and go straight at them.Im glad our folks and players are showing the respect that is expected of a playoff team.If you cant get ready for this one you didnt deserve it anyway!

5 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

To be honest its probaby more the competition than anything else.We have played some teams with VERY poor line play and our Dline didnt get man handled and made alot of plays on the LoS.Our front line and second level will get a true test Fri night.I am positive we are up for the test.I have done alot of watching,thinking and talking to few folks this week because like most of the time this time of year its hard to gauge how good you are playing the teams we unfortunately have to play.My confidence is much higher now and we just need to get that first hit and settle in its gonna be a tuff one for both of us.Im with Ole Pirate we need to stand toe to toe and punch them straight in the mouth and run the dang ball THEN do what we do.WHS is on a big high but the have never been here before and they dont know how to act and they are wanting to take something that is not theirs!I challenge our boys to throw off the gloves and go straight at them.Im glad our folks and players are showing the respect that is expected of a playoff team.If you cant get ready for this one you didnt deserve it anyway!

*insert Ric Flair WOOOO here*

1 hour ago, GBKEES said:

This LB talk got me to thinking . 

I actually thought that #55 was our leading tackler and he was for the first half of the season and is a close second.  Our DL makes a lot of tackles, 160 total to be exact compared to LB's at 104.5.  This is according to the on-line stats.  I'm no statistician but that seems like a lot of tackles for a DL.  There were a lot of games where the LB's have few tackle because the RB's weren't getting past the LOS.

I wasn't around last year so I don't have a point of reference here so I have a question.  There were two LB's last year that had 130+ tackles, why is that?  Is the line play that much better this year?  I know Gilbert was a great LB but most of the time the RB's are getting stopped before they get to the LB's.  I know #3 hasn't played as much defense this year because of the early injury but he is at only a fraction of the tackles he had last year.

DB's have made their share of tackles this year but the majority of them have been against the passing teams as they should be.

Anyway. Just curious.  Either way it works because rushing yards have been hard to come by for opposing teams since the first game.

Tackles aren’t right. If you jumped on the pile, you got a tackle. We might have had 2 over the 100+ mark. Not like 5

21 minutes ago, cherokee23 said:

Tackles aren’t right. If you jumped on the pile, you got a tackle. We might have had 2 over the 100+ mark. Not like 5

I read it in a newspaper article somewhere that 3 and 6 had 130+ tackles for the year.  The stats from this year are online and they seem pretty accurate.

31 minutes ago, orngnblk said:

The players I have talked with say the practices and study time has been very serious this week.   This is  my boy's first year but he said he hasn't seen it this serious around there this year at all.

1 minute ago, GBKEES said:

The players I have talked with say the practices and study time has been very serious this week.   This is  my boy's first year but he said he hasn't seen it this serious around there this year at all.

Hear say is that Coach Ryan had to search around to get Whitwell film and got it from SP because Whitwell coach wouldn’t share it. If so, you just woke up a sleeping giant. But if this is not so, someone correct me. Good thing that they’re studying the film because it’s easy to see where the ball is going.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, cherokee23 said:

Hear say is that Coach Ryan had to search around to get Whitwell film and got it from SP because Whitwell coach wouldn’t share it. If so, you just woke up a sleeping giant. But if this is not so, someone correct me. Good thing that they’re studying the film because it’s easy to see where the ball is going.

If they got SP's tape it will show you  how to NOT play DB for sure.  Coach Boldin is a good guy and I don't see him doing that, but I have no idea if that happened or not and you know how rumor's are. 

4 minutes ago, sportman said:

If they got SP's tape it will show you  how to NOT play DB for sure.  Coach Boldin is a good guy and I don't see him doing that, but I have no idea if that happened or not and you know how rumor's are. 

Defensive back were definitely a weak spot but Whitwell also just went and made the plays. A lot of good catches from #20

48 minutes ago, cherokee23 said:

What kind of mess is this?  Whitvegas not wanting to show Ashworth, Wingo, Petty runnin' that pigskin.  Ashworth throwing that little piggy to Stewart was mighty effective against those Pirates.  That #4 is some kind of headhunter on defense.  Word on the street is he's fixin to scalp McCord and Hanley.

3 minutes ago, sportman said:

Tactic was used alot back in the day. Understanding was they had every film of every game this year on us so what would he have to exchange for he doesn't need our film.Doesnt mean he is a bad dude sportman just doesnt want to help in any way.He is a confident feller for sure.Probably already got a finger picked out for his ring they keep talking about.

2 minutes ago, Bill#49 said:

What kind of mess is this?  Whitvegas not wanting to show Ashworth, Wingo, Petty runnin' that pigskin.  Ashworth throwing that little piggy to Stewart was mighty effective against those Pirates.  That #4 is some kind of headhunter on defense.  Word on the street is he's fixin to scalp McCord and Hanley.

He might just do that,kid is a good ballplayer.