1A semi final Greenback @ Whitwell

orngnblk

1 hour ago, pujo said:

Heard them talk to Petty after the game, was really impressed  . Kid is a gamer and seems humble in doing so. Best is a stretch by a mile.  I've seen some GREAT one's over the years.  That being said ,he'd be an impact player on most teams in the state.

All the talk about the Greenback receiver, I'd say this kid has d1 written all over him.  But like Southtower said ,a kid on the sidelines can't beat you.

53 minutes ago, ladykee said:

I agree with your take lol! Still frustrating but it is what it is and Whitwell is worthy of going for that Gold ball. They are a very respectable team and I can relate to how much this means to them. I am looking forward to seeing what Cornersville does when Petty & Wingo are coming at them.

I'm hoping Whitwell can be healthy once they get to Cookeville.  But if Ashworth isn't able to go then Petty can run the offense. 

Cornersville was down a man last year in the title game.  That's just the way these things play out a lot of times.  

I think we will see a heavy- heavy dose of the run game Saturday.  I think whoever can hit a few passes over the top will be the one that makes enough plays to win it all.

Last night Greenback was pinned deep a couple times with the punt.  It caused Greenback to rely on long play drives. I believe that factored in as well.  Drives stalled out. The interception hurt. 

Not many teams if any are Union City type teams. That's how Greenback was hoping and trying to win this game. It really isn't your identity to be so. Yall have been a quick strike team and also could be somewhat methodical with the power game. When you have both it just makes the other that much better. You didn't have both last night. 

Yall have had a great 4 year run. Something to be really proud of and I'm sure you are.  I for one hope your run is over. :smile:

19 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

Memphis East is coming to 1A.  They took home the 2016 gold ball in 4A.  But only scored 12 points this year. 

How exactly does one go from 4A to 1A enrollment? I mean I know how by numbers dropping but why have they dropped that much? Aren’t they a perennial D1 producing basketball program? What did they do kick out all students that were non athletes?

43 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

I'm hoping Whitwell can be healthy once they get to Cookeville.  But if Ashworth isn't able to go then Petty can run the offense. 

Cornersville was down a man last year in the title game.  That's just the way these things play out a lot of times.  

I think we will see a heavy- heavy dose of the run game Saturday.  I think whoever can hit a few passes over the top will be the one that makes enough plays to win it all.

Last night Greenback was pinned deep a couple times with the punt.  It caused Greenback to rely on long play drives. I believe that factored in as well.  Drives stalled out. The interception hurt. 

Not many teams if any are Union City type teams. That's how Greenback was hoping and trying to win this game. It really isn't your identity to be so. Yall have been a quick strike team and also could be somewhat methodical with the power game. When you have both it just makes the other that much better. You didn't have both last night. 

Yall have had a great 4 year run. Something to be really proud of and I'm sure you are.  I for one hope your run is over. :smile:

Not so fast my friend......we’ll have something for you next year.

4 minutes ago, ladykee said:

How exactly does one go from 4A to 1A enrollment? I mean I know how by numbers dropping but why have they dropped that much? Aren’t they a perennial D1 producing basketball program? What did they do kick out all students that were non athletes?

I believe they played up a class but still.  Enrollment numbers and having such a large % drop put them in 1A.

They optioned to stay in their current class in basketball,  baseball and softball.

TSSAA made a rule change a couple years ago where a school can play up in classification without having to play up in all sports.

They have the next 2 years to grow their enrollment back without any possibility of being moved up as anyone else does.

37 minutes ago, ladykee said:

Ever since penny left there they lost a lot of basketball players to other Memphis schools. Like seriously I heard stories that Memphis east had so many basketball players that would move in enough for 4 teams, and a lot of them would play football as well I’m guessing they got up and just left  

Lausane is drawing a lot of talent from them as well and so if MUS and Christian Brothers. So when you have these high profiled private schools starting to draw from the public schools and especially in Memphis... a team could go 4 down to 1A in a heartbeat 

8 minutes ago, Goldenpride said:

Ever since penny left there they lost a lot of basketball players to other Memphis schools. Like seriously I heard stories that Memphis east had so many basketball players that would move in enough for 4 teams, and a lot of them would play football as well I’m guessing they got up and just left  

Lausane is drawing a lot of talent from them as well and so if MUS and Christian Brothers. So when you have these high profiled private schools starting to draw from the public schools and especially in Memphis... a team could go 4 down to 1A in a heartbeat 

Makes sense.

Yall got Trezevant headed to your region and class next 2 years.

7 hours ago, Tiger1988 said:

That's it ladykee. As a realist, if Petty is out, we probably lose this game. If we have to play next week without our QB, we will show up and play the hand we are dealt. Hope you didn't take that last post as disrespectful because it wasn't intended that way. I just meant to say that if 23 plays, Whitwell more than likely loses.

Not taking anything away from Hudson but you didn’t even hear from Thundur #4 last night or Jarren Thames #7 or John King #21 who stepped up in a Big way when Wingo was out and made plays happen.  Stewart #20 showed a good bit of his caliber but not all.  Size wise we were lacking somewhat but our guys make that up in several ways.  Greenback as defending state champs are definitely given their due recognition but I hear #23 being out as the key factor for the loss repeatedly.  Respect to both teams for a great game.