1A semi final Greenback @ Whitwell

orngnblk

On 11/24/2018 at 6:10 PM, cherokee23 said:

True but don’t act like Whitwell went out and beat a 100% GB team and that they are the better team. GB just didn’t execute. And if the field goals were kicked, GB would’ve won regardless. Reality is Whitwell won, yes. But not because they just went out and smashed us. They survived and barely escaped. 

Seriously though... why in the heck did GB not want to Kick all 3 of the field goals?? They would’ve been up by 9 and that just means run the clock out.. The better team did not win. Espesically with #23 Holden Willis out he’s easily gonna open the passing game up and sadly enough Breeden Gilbert moved (which they proved they could play without him) and whitwell wouldn’t have known what to do with Gilbert no offense to whitwell he was just the best back in 1a and possibly 2a. With every player back fully healthy this GB team would win by 3 Td’s like I said No offense to y’all whitwell people. Heck I had a whitwell fan come up to just talk football he ends up saying GB beat themselves by not kicking the field goals..<<<<<geez guys come on....  coaching on that end was foolish. I do not and never will understand why a coach would do such a thing. It blows my mind and ruined those boys chances at another gold ball. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ladykee said:

Yes a lot of good linemen but I’m still gonna single him out for what he’s done for the past 3 years. As Cherokee23 pointed out I said two way. He’s been a starter 3 years going both ways and never missed a start from my memory with a silver & gold and should of could of got another one. Leading tackler to boot. That is enough for ole Reese Plemons #55 to get a huge shoutout. Mr. Consistent & Mr. Durable. We owe him for his service & efforts at Greenback! ONE LAST SHOUT OUT FOR THE BIG GUY!! They don’t get enough recognition, but I learned being a QB’s mom a long time ago you can’t do anything without those guys “showing out” on the front line.

55 just may be the best lineman to come out of Greenback. You reckon?

20 hours ago, Redskins83 said:

Seriously though... why in the heck did GB not want to Kick all 3 of the field goals?? They would’ve been up by 9 and that just means run the clock out.. The better team did not win. Espesically with #23 Holden Willis out he’s easily gonna open the passing game up and sadly enough Breeden Gilbert moved (which they proved they could play without him) and whitwell wouldn’t have known what to do with Gilbert no offense to whitwell he was just the best back in 1a and possibly 2a. With every player back fully healthy this GB team would win by 3 Td’s like I said No offense to y’all whitwell people. Heck I had a whitwell fan come up to just talk football he ends up saying GB beat themselves by not kicking the field goals..<<<<<geez guys come on....  coaching on that end was foolish. I do not and never will understand why a coach would do such a thing. It blows my mind and ruined those boys chances at another gold ball. 

Nope. You have the advantage of hindsight in your assessment of the game, and how it was lost. If GB was able to convert just one of three fourth down attempts and score, you would be praising the coach for believing in his team, and the courage to not settle for a field goal. Whitwell stopped all three attempts, and deserve the credit for doing so. Defense wins championships is the old adage, and whether it translates into a championship or not, defense won the game for Whitwell. Despite all the praise (well earned) for their offense "coming through" when they had to...if they don't stonewall GB on the fourth downs, the last two miraculous drives don't matter. Football is a team game, and the coaches are an integral part of the team... GB didn't lose because of "stupid decisions" they lost because Whitwell did what they had to do on the field, when they had to do it, on both sides of the ball.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, tradertwo said:

Nope. You have the advantage of hindsight in your assessment of the game, and how it was lost. If GB was able to convert just one of three fourth down attempts and score, you would be praising the coach for believing in his team, and the courage to not settle for a field goal. Whitwell stopped all three attempts, and deserve the credit for doing so. Defense wins championships is the old adage, and whether it translates into a championship or not, defense won the game for Whitwell. Despite all the praise (well earned) for their offense "coming through" when they had to...if they don't stonewall GB on the fourth downs, the last two miraculous drives don't matter. Football is a team game, and the coaches are an integral part of the team... GB didn't lose because of "stupid decisions" they lost because Whitwell did what they had to do on the field, when they had to do it, on both sides of the ball.

Good response.   Once a coach passes up the first opportunity to kick one that decision weighs even heavier the next opportunity.  He was still chasing the other points. It dictates he pass them up. The later in the game you feel you need more than a fg. Folks like to play hindsight.  We have that luxury outside that moment.

6 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I mean I understand your point but GB definitely wins if the field goals were kicked. But it’s over with and Whitwell deserved to win because they made the plays when they needed to. But you can’t say that the decision to not kick the ball wasn’t a game changing decision. But your point is well received and totally understood. 

• Like 1

You people are beginning to sound just like the people in Jasper about Marion County. You put together three straight state championship runs and lose in the semifinals. You got beat. Then you want to crucify your coach that just took you to Cookeville and will again! You guys get your degree and give it a shot...then start criticizing. Dang your spoiled!

1 hour ago, WARBOSS said:

You people are beginning to sound just like the people in Jasper about Marion County. You put together three straight state championship runs and lose in the semifinals. You got beat. Then you want to crucify your coach that just took you to Cookeville and will again! You guys get your degree and give it a shot...then start criticizing. Dang your spoiled!

Easy now some of us just take the loss and go on.

1 hour ago, WARBOSS said:

7 hours ago, cherokee23 said:

I mean I understand your point but GB definitely wins if the field goals were kicked. But it’s over with and Whitwell deserved to win because they made the plays when they needed to. But you can’t say that the decision to not kick the ball wasn’t a game changing decision. But your point is well received and totally understood. 

Ryan should have kicked the darn thing, what was he thinking. 

1 hour ago, crow said:

Probably that he is the HC and it's HIS decision if I was guessing. 

Thanks for clearing that up.  I know he's the head coach and made the decision but why is what I was saying. Hmmm. Lol.  I didn't see the game,  I was just wondering.  Plus, I was just be sarcastic.

Edited by rtl112