Alcoa vs Upperman for a trip to the Championship

crow6424

On 12/8/2018 at 1:12 AM, wolfchase said:

I finally see what all the Upperman chatter was about, plus have an observation on this year's Alcoa team. I watched the 1st half of the Aloca Upperman game today and they were definitely fortunate to get get past Upperman. Alcoa struggled mightly. And at the same time Upperman had to overcome issue after issue(penalties, bad field position etc) and gave Alcoa all they wanted. One drive Upperman it seemed had 35-55 yards in penalties alone and still overcame em and continued to make 1st downs when you would think it was impossible. Alcoa went up 14-0 at halftime, you'd think, typical Alcoa would of run away with it. I don't even know the final score(haven't looked) but know it wasn't a lot. I think at least on the field(thou not on the scoreboard Upperman was better this night the 1st half I watched anyway). Upperman has some talent & size as well(OL was nasty). And Covington as well gave em a game,could of easily won.

Now my theory

I think the worst thing that happened to Alcoa was beating Maryville(and in hindsight a Maryville team that wasn't as good as a typical maryville team) therefore set em up for disaster. I think everyone crowned em(Alcoa) when they beat Maryville. I think they crowned themselves, the coaches, the fans, other teams, officials, media, administrators, everyone in the state crowned em after that W and they became complacent, satisfied and stagnant. They became the perceived best(top) team when in reality they weren't, at least by the presumed amount. I think Upperman, Covington, prolly PC(with some better coaching guidance) and definitely Stratford with even minimal competent coaching could and may be better than Alcoa this yr. As a disclaimer I'm in no way suggesting Stratford would ever come remotely close to beating Alcoa with what they do now, however do feel they got better athletes w/o doubt 

Upperman was for real

( one thing I did hear an Upperman announcer say was that if Upperman was in the East that Alcoa Upperman would be State Title Game. Not so fast with that. I think all  Cov, Stratford, PC(thou they can't even make to quarterfinals yr after yr), Upperman & Alcoa are capable of beating one another

Alcoa was inflated

Alcoa still Champs however til someone beats em on the scoreboard

Daddy what was the high point when you played football at upperman? ...Well son, we lost to Alcoa 27-14.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:33 PM, MrTwister said:

#1 in the nation in their classification!   Great post MrTwister!

• Upvote 1