Gallatin Green Wave Grumors

thegreatone36

1 hour ago, eers said:

Possibly, but I would venture to say there are assistants that would be as good/better fits for the position.  Success at one program doesn't necessarily equate to success at the next.  Program size and dynamics of different jobs will weigh in.  I would rather have a coordinator from a successful 5-6A program than a successful HC from a 1-3A program.  I know an argument can be made either way, but that's my opinion on it. 

Several Assistants that would make my list:

Brooks - DC Riverdale, formerly Beech and Smyrna - State championship experience
Powell - Summerville (SC), formerly Beech and another large school in NC - State championship experience
Bever - OL Beech - State championship experience
Bundy - Not currently coaching
Abner - DC Mt Juliet
Lopez - Not sure
Jackson - DC Oakland

A couple of those may be stretches and they may have no interest, but could bring a lot to the program, including the fact I believe each of those bring a good staff.  As much as we want to look at the HCs, the staff they would bring with them is just as important.  All the wins and losses can't be on the HC, they just put the right pieces together.

Some of these are a resounding no!!  

Brooks- is this the same guy who was at Gallatin that left on bad terms? 

Bever-not a good track record see Portland

Bundy-could not even the get coordinator job last year at Gallatin, currently selling real estate

Abner-should have never been forced out at Glencliff.  

Lopez-now this is interesting and he commented on this thread

Jackson-been brought up, don’t really know him

Powell-never heard of him

1 hour ago, GWAVE1 said:

Bundy-could not even the get coordinator job last year at Gallatin, currently selling real estate

Brooks - Was at Gallatin for a short period and wouldn’t say he left on bad terms. Great DC ready for a shot.  

Bever - It was Portland and there were no Jimmys and Joes. His guys dominate every week. See Beech Gallatin film for verification. May not want to be HC because of the raw deal he got at Portland.

Bundy - I wouldn’t hold it against him that Williams wouldn’t hire him. Yes, he is currently in real estate, but I’m not sure he’s finished coaching. Bad deal at H’ville. Good coach. 

Abner - No one can win at Glencliff and it wouldn’t be fair to hold that against him. See Bever above. Good coach. 

Lopez - saw he commented. Found that interesting. Would be worth a conversation in my opinion.

Jackson - don’t know him personally, but appears to be good coach. Would at least bring him in and have a discussion  

Powell - brother of beech principal. DC at Beech for first state championship. Coached at large NC school in another state championship after leaving Beech. Now coaches at Summerville in SC, which is one of the all time winningest programs in the state. 

I honestly think the best route for Gallatin is an assistant/coordinator that can bring in a good staff. I believe the guys above bring that to the table and know what it takes to win. 

Edited by eers

50 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

Rankin-Smith County to Riverdale

Kevin Creasy- Trousdale Co to Oakland

Crabtree- wasn’t it Creekwood to Beech

Roger Perry-Portland to Mt Juliet

Just a few examples off the top of my head that came from smaller schools to larger and were successful.  

For every one that was successful I would bet there’s more that weren’t. It’s not a direct correlation and guaranteed success. 

59 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

If Bundy would’ve gotten a coordinator position, I guarantee you Williams would still have a job and Gallatin would be a much improved team all around. He is currently selling real estate by choice not because there weren’t other opportunities, he is a very qualified 

1 hour ago, GWAVE1 said:

Beech has owned everyone in Sumner County since Crabtree’s arrival, except Hendersonville and still has a winning record against them. I would first look at the coaches that have been a part of that (four of the coaches I listed have coached at Beech during that time), then expand my search, but perhaps I’m a little biased on that part. 

Edited by eers

16 minutes ago, eers said:

Beech has owned everyone in Sumner County since Crabtree’s arrival, except Hendersonville and still has a winning record against them. I would first look at the coaches that have been a part of that (four of the coaches I listed have coached at Beech during that time), then expand my search, but perhaps I’m a little biased on that part. 

Sorry but Bever and Brooks are a no.  Nobody gets excited about those hires.  

Edited by GWAVE1

3 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

Sorry but Bever and Brooks are a no.  Nobody gets excited about those hires.  

Don’t need to get excited. Need to win. Both are excellent coaches. Gallatin is far removed from being a dominant program. You need someone that sees the potential, would be shocked if you get a chance at a high profile/successful HC. 

When Rankin came to R'dale he had the advantage of having a Principal that had been the UNsucessful HC there and he gave Rankin a free hand and helped him bring in the assistants he both wanted/NEEDED!  Also had a Superintendant that had been the Principal there and looked the other way when it came to RECRUITING!  This same Super also shielded Rankin from the T$$AA when they looked of some 'transfers'!

Also had a Booster Club that were VERY helpful and gave him a budget that some Colleges in this state would envy.  Also the kickbacks from the equipment sellers was ignored.  Nice little Coaches bonuses that will not fly in todays tight over sight rules.

This happened at Gallatin as well in the Glory days, as an EX Girlfriend Booster had 4 players on salary at her Construction company!  Nice jobs where you hold a hose on dump trucks that come in and make $200-$400 a week depending on how bad they were needed on the team.

1 hour ago, Lost Old Dad said:

When Rankin came to R'dale he had the advantage of having a Principal that had been the UNsucessful HC there and he gave Rankin a free hand and helped him bring in the assistants he both wanted/NEEDED!  Also had a Superintendant that had been the Principal there and looked the other way when it came to RECRUITING!  This same Super also shielded Rankin from the T$$AA when they looked of some 'transfers'!

Also had a Booster Club that were VERY helpful and gave him a budget that some Colleges in this state would envy.  Also the kickbacks from the equipment sellers was ignored.  Nice little Coaches bonuses that will not fly in todays tight over sight rules.

This happened at Gallatin as well in the Glory days, as an EX Girlfriend Booster had 4 players on salary at her Construction company!  Nice jobs where you hold a hose on dump trucks that come in and make $200-$400 a week depending on how bad they were needed on the team.

Like the late great Al Davis said; “just win baby win”.......

5 hours ago, eers said:

Don’t need to get excited. Need to win. Both are excellent coaches. Gallatin is far removed from being a dominant program. You need someone that sees the potential, would be shocked if you get a chance at a high profile/successful HC. 

Were you shocked 7 years ago?  It hasn’t been that long ago and potential as well as practice facilities are still in excellent shape.