Gallatin Green Wave Grumors

thegreatone36

Name it then. Name an issue at Gallatin that nobody else around -evidently- has never dealt with. Has Beech never had any issues at all? And Coach B.A. isn't coming, so the fact that you think that he is the most qualified coach, and the absolute BEST option that Gallatin needs let's me know you aren't quite as well informed as you perceive to be in Gallatin Football.

I like how opposing team fans come in and seem to know all the bad things about Gallatin, yet will not name said issue. People are not asking the next man to be the second coming of Calvin Short! I don't understand where this idea comes from. The program has a lot more positives than negatives going for it, which whomever the next Head Coach is will know this. I will be ready to support the next man, regardless of who it is. 

Edited by thegreatone36

I don’t think people are referring as much about the football program as they are about the community (Gallatin Zone). You guys are obviously great supporters of the Green Wave, but as you can see from this thread most outsiders now look at Gallatin as a place you don’t want to live/work/coach. How many murders did you have there this weekend?

The student population at Gallatin may have some athletes, but they are NOT head and shoulders above any other school in 5A/6A that routinely wins. Dealing with the off the field issues these kids have makes this a tougher place to win than 30 years ago. Other schools do have issues, but there are fewer issues at those schools or the support system is in place to make them succeed. Gallatin can get there, but the culture will have to change and the community will need to step up and help the coaches out. I know Gwave1 and Thegreatone are willing, but is anybody else? Trust me, it can be overwhelming when you have 10-15 kids with no ride after practice and you aren’t even sure if they are eating dinner when they get home. I know this from experience. It takes up time and money from high school coaches that they often don’t have.

You all threw out Oakland and Whitehaven earlier as examples of “inner city” type schools that succeed. I will give you Whitehaven on that one, but did you know they are a magnet school? That enables them to get the best of the best from Shelby County. I watched an interview with 10 of their most talented players on coacht before the state championship game and 6 of them had transferred in from somewhere else. That makes a huge difference for that program. I don’t think Gallatin has any advantages like this, but I am willing to bet the best players from the area 30 years ago all ended up playing for Calvin Short.

Oakland is the new Riverdale in Rutherford County. They get all the best athletes from the area and they too had 2-3 guys transfer in this year that were next level talents. Oakland also has a good mixture of well to do’s and athletes. This enables them to get the support they need to run like a small college program. When was the last time Gallatin had big time transfer move in? I can think of a few at Beech, Hendersonville, and even Station Camp.

With all that being said, I will eat a little crow. I have been told there were some top notch coaches apply and I really didn’t think that would happen. If Trey Perry really did apply, then Gallatin should throw the kitchen sink at him to get him in green. If they hire a metro coach, then the search is a failure. Those guys are good for the kids, but I fear they would be consistently outocached at the 5A/6A level. If Perry will not accept, Wilson or Watson are your best two choices to get it turned around. Both are young, hungry, and have won at places that struggle to win at times.

Edited by wtaylor
  • Upvote 1

Exactly, all big transfers go elsewhere! Those were the ones Short always seemed to get, now its Crabtree! Athletes flock to winners as they have with Creasy at Oakland! Great players make Great coaches!

Just can't see Perry at GHS, he would blow it up and start all over and from what I hear on here that might not go over too well! Why he wan't out MT JULIET so bad, started looking last year. Then, if you go with Wilson or Watson ( well you gotta be kidding)!

In all seriousness, is any $$$ being offered to bring in a top coach? 

GO JACKETS!

48 minutes ago, wtaylor said:

I don’t think people are referring as much about the football program as they are about the community (Gallatin Zone). You guys are obviously great supporters of the Green Wave, but as you can see from this thread most outsiders now look at Gallatin as a place you don’t want to live/work/coach. How many murders did you have there this weekend?

The student population at Gallatin may have some athletes, but they are NOT head and shoulders above any other school in 5A/6A that routinely wins. Dealing with the off the field issues these kids have makes this a tougher place to win than 30 years ago. Other schools do have issues, but there fewer issues at those schools or the support system is in place to make them succeed. Gallatin can get there, but the culture will have to change and the community will need to step up and help the coaches out. I know Gwave1 and Thegreatone are willing, but is anybody else? Trust me, it can be overwhelming when you have 10-15 kids with no ride after practice and you aren’t even sure if they are eating dinner when they get home. I know this from experience. It takes up time and money from high school coaches that they often don’t have.

You all threw out Oakland and Whitehaven earlier as examples of “inner city” type schools that succeed. I will give you Whitehaven on that one, but did you know they are a magnet school? That enables them to get the best of the best from Shelby County. I watched an interview with 10 of their most talented players on coacht before the state championship game and 6 of them had transferred in from somewhere else. That makes a huge difference for that program. I don’t think Gallatin has any advantages like this, but I am willing to bet the best players from the area 30 years ago all ended up playing for Calvin Short.

Oakland is the new Riverdale in Rutherford County. They get all the best athletes from the area and they too had 2-3 guys transfer in this year that were next level talents. Oakland also has a good mixture of well to do’s and athletes. This enables them to get the support they need to run like a small college program. When was the last time Gallatin had big time transfer move in? I can think of a few at Beech, Hendersonville, and even Station Camp.

With all that being said, I will eat a little crow. I have been told there were some top notch coaches apply and I really didn’t think that would happen. If Trey Perry really did apply, then Gallatin should throw the kitchen sink at him to get him in green. If they hire a metro coach, then the search is a failure. Those guys are good for the kids, but I fear they would be consistently outocached at the 5A/6A level. If Perry will not accept, Wilson or Watson are your best two choices to get it turned around. Both are young, hungry, and have won at places that struggle to win at times.

I will only answer one point because it is pointless to change some minds on here. 

Most people do not see Gallatin as a place people want to live/work/coach....really.  It was voted the nicest town in America two years ago.  Does it have its problems?  Yes it does.  Are there positives, yes there are.  There were 30-40 applicants in the first week, not at the end, the first week!  Building is ridiculous in this town!  Just look at the subdivisions and apartments going up, it is crazy!  So obviously those investors and builders are all foolish because nobody wants to live here.  People from here work all over not just Gallatin.  You can point to murders which is a low point no doubt but every town this size has them at some point unfortunately.  That is NOT indicative of the entire town I assure you.  

11 minutes ago, jimb1972 said:

Exactly, all big transfers go elsewhere! Those were the ones Short always seemed to get, now its Crabtree! Athletes flock to winners as they have with Creasy at Oakland! Great players make Great coaches!

Just can't see Perry at GHS, he would blow it up and start all over and from what I hear on here that might not go over too well! Why he wan't out MT JULIET so bad, started looking last year. Then, if you go with Wilson or Watson ( well you gotta be kidding)!

GO JACKETS!

You sir are so freaking clueless.  From Becker, assistants, hearing QB Club members say things, to money from outside sources, you know nothing of which you speak.  Transfers...name transfers.  Gallatin usually has about one or two a year as does Beech.  It happens all the time.  If you were truly in the know, you would be shocked.  Now sit back and get prepared to downgrade the new coach, we all see that coming!  

Edited by GWAVE1

I can't name any big transfers to GHS,  part of problem. Didn't say there was money, simply asking if so?Just seems more and more like last go round! You must be a really close insider with the way you are so defensive. I think i am more objective than you sir. BTW where does wave fit academically in Sumner co.Near the bottom there too, Yes I can read state report card!

GO JACKETS!

Jimb1972 you are very pessimistic . Its kind of getting ridiculous. For someone with no ties to this school you are commenting more than anyone on here. GIVE IT A BREAK PAL. This is a forum to discuss and have friendly opinions but all you have done is belittle the program that you're not associated with . Good Luck to Gallatin hope to hear some new soon.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

I will only answer one point because it is pointless to change some minds on here. 

Most people do not see Gallatin as a place people want to live/work/coach....really.  It was voted the nicest town in America two years ago.  Does it have its problems?  Yes it does.  Are there positives, yes there are.  There were 30-40 applicants in the first week, not at the end, the first week!  Building is ridiculous in this town!  Just look at the subdivisions and apartments going up, it is crazy!  So obviously those investors and builders are all foolish because nobody wants to live here.  People from here work all over not just Gallatin.  You can point to murders which is a low point no doubt but every town this size has them at some point unfortunately.  That is NOT indicative of the entire town I assure you.  

The builders are building in Station Camp, Beech, and Cottontown areas. I am not so sure the Gallatin zone is getting anything other than apartments/condos. I am not trying to ruffle feathers, just stating the facts for those on the outside looking in. We could be completely wrong, but I don’t think that is the case.

1 hour ago, jimb1972 said:

GO JACKETS!

Why would Wilson or Watson be a joke? Wilson beat the great Kevin Creasy coming off a state championship and then drilled Waggoner in his first year at TC. He also took inferior talent and competed in metro at a time when Pearl,Maplewood, and Springfield were loaded with athletes. Watson excels at getting kids out and will do the work necessary to make Gallatin an attractive landing spot for any transfers. He also played college football and knows what it takes in the trenches to win. That was Gallatin’s biggest weakness last year imo.

Perry is wanting out because the new school is splitting his zone and he will lose several athletes in the process. He has to be the #1 choice if he really applied. Wilson and Watson are both better than any of the metro coaches mentioned.