Jump to content
  • Sky
  • Blueberry
  • Slate
  • Violet
  • Watermelon
  • Strawberry
  • Maroon
  • Orange
  • Gold
  • Emerald
  • Chocolate
  • Charcoal

Welcome to the upgraded message boards!  Please note: if you have been using a username to sign in that is different than the handle (display name) displayed on the boards, you must now sign in with either your handle (display name) or the email address associated with your account.  If you don't know what this means, then it probably doesn't affect you!

Sign in to follow this  
thegreatone36

Gallatin Green Wave Grumors

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, GWAVE1 said:

Were you shocked 7 years ago?  It hasn’t been that long ago and potential as well as practice facilities are still in excellent shape.  

Potential and I downtrodden program at this point. If they have no ties to the program why would they leave a premier program to go to Gallatin. Meritocracy has been the norm recently. I get it, I think it can be good again, but why leave a good program to build another. There are still some holes that a coach can’t fill. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, eers said:

Potential and I downtrodden program at this point. If they have no ties to the program why would they leave a premier program to go to Gallatin. Meritocracy has been the norm recently. I get it, I think it can be good again, but why leave a good program to build another. There are still some holes that a coach can’t fill. 

Downtrodden??  This program played Beech for the region championship this year.  No they did not win but the opportunity was there.  They also beat Hillsboro in the regular season something Beech could not do.  They put a runningback in Georgia Tech that is now starting and was a finalist for Mr Football.  They consistently play schools in 6A and have done fairly well against such in the recent past.  One minute they have the highest ceiling, now they are downtrodden?  Really??  Why leave?  Because you can build and win consistently, it has been done before!  This town is built more so to win more so than any in Sumner County.  That is why you come here.  You know that.  Happy Thanksgiving by the way. 

Edited by GWAVE1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, what a thread this has been To follow over the past few days! I love reading the input every few hours. Gallatin is the premier city in the county, once the premier HS in the county. Their football program has fallen on hard times recently but is still an attractive program I believe. I know we’ve talked over assistants from Beech and Hendersonvile but what about at a smaller school in the county? Any candidates at White House? Westmoreland? I know Duncan at WH Heritage, RobCo, has Gallatin ties? I don’t think the Camp offers any candidates. 

Someone can win at Gallatin. The job is only as good as your admin and I just don’t have a lot of faith in that admin right now. Maybe I’m wrong. Enjoy the holiday! Interesting to see how this search ends up!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

Rankin-Smith County to Riverdale

Kevin Creasy- Trousdale Co to Oakland

Crabtree- wasn’t it Creekwood to Beech

Roger Perry-Portland to Mt Juliet

Just a few examples off the top of my head that came from smaller schools to larger and were successful.  

I may be wrong but wasn't Perry at Westmoreland before going to Portland. I remember TC playing them and pretty sure Perry brought the wing t to the Eagles. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GWAVE1 said:

Downtrodden??  This program played Beech for the region championship this year.  No they did not win but the opportunity was there.  They also beat Hillsboro in the regular season something Beech could not do.  They put a runningback in Georgia Tech that is now starting and was a finalist for Mr Football.  They consistently play schools in 6A and have done fairly well against such in the recent past.  One minute they have the highest ceiling, now they are downtrodden?  Really??  Why leave?  Because you can build and win consistently, it has been done before!  This town is built more so to win more so than any in Sumner County.  That is why you come here.  You know that.  Happy Thanksgiving by the way. 

Wow! Judging from the first half of that response, it sounds like Williams should have stayed. Remember they’ve had two losing seasons out of the last four.  I would say that’s downtrodden by Gallatin standards.

I believe the ceiling is very high, but I also believe the program is closer to the floor than the ceiling.  I know there are athletes. I know there are practice facilities. I know there’s a community ready to support. I’m not sure about the admin. I hear Becker is a good principal, but not sure he carries that athletic torch very high. I’m also not sure about the Athletic Department Staff (AD and four Assistant ADs), I’ve heard they’re not very supportive. Any insight into that?

...and Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Edited by eers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The key to any job is support. When we played Gallatin during Ponchez-Mason’s senior year, they filled up the visitors side at Hillsboro & then some. They have good looking bodies, they have athletes, I think they were coached well, but something is missing, tough to pinpoint what exactly that is from the outside. If the no facial hair rule is accurate, I can maybe see a slight glimpse into what could be wrong.

Now that was two years ago, haven’t seen them during live action since 2016 since I left to come back home here in Kentucky. They will get a quality coach, I think it may draw out a while to make sure they get their guy. I think in the end they will flirt with some big names but their next HC will probably be someone that already has some sort of HC experience. 

 

Edited by DLopez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, DLopez said:

The key to any job is support. When we played Gallatin during Ponchez-Mason’s senior year, they filled up the visitors side at Hillsboro & then some. They have good looking bodies, they have athletes, I think they were coached well, but something is missing, tough to pinpoint what exactly that is from the outside. If the no facial hair rule is accurate, I can maybe see a slight glimpse into what could be wrong.

Now that was two years ago, haven’t seen them during live action since 2016 since I left to come back home here in Kentucky. They will get a quality coach, I think it may draw out a while to make sure they get their guy. I think in the end they will flirt with some big names but their next HC will probably be someone that already has some sort of HC experience. 

 

I agree with everything you said there, but I’m not sure HC experience is the key. If you can get a high profile coach that’s a different story, but don’t pass on someone without it just to get someone that can say they were a HC. 

The real problem is most administrators and ADs don’t really know football so they’re unable to ask real football questions. They end up going with who feels good at the time. Being a good interviewer doesn’t make you a good coach and vice versa. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DLopez said:

The key to any job is support. When we played Gallatin during Ponchez-Mason’s senior year, they filled up the visitors side at Hillsboro & then some. They have good looking bodies, they have athletes, I think they were coached well, but something is missing, tough to pinpoint what exactly that is from the outside. If the no facial hair rule is accurate, I can maybe see a slight glimpse into what could be wrong.

Now that was two years ago, haven’t seen them during live action since 2016 since I left to come back home here in Kentucky. They will get a quality coach, I think it may draw out a while to make sure they get their guy. I think in the end they will flirt with some big names but their next HC will probably be someone that already has some sort of HC experience. 

 

Don’t listen to all the fluff that is trying to be sold on here about facial hair and garbage.  The current interm coach has facial hair.  But I agree something has been amiss the last few years.  And by the way, I hated playing against Hillsboro during that time period.  You always had your guys willing to run through a perverbial brick wall for you.  Always wished we had a guy with that kind of intensity level to keep the guys up and motivated.  Hope you are happy back in Ky.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eers said:

Wow! Judging from the first half of that response, it sounds like Williams should have stayed. Remember they’ve had two losing seasons out of the last four.  I would say that’s downtrodden by Gallatin standards.

I believe the ceiling is very high, but I also believe the program is closer to the floor than the ceiling.  I know there are athletes. I know there are practice facilities. I know there’s a community ready to support. I’m not sure about the admin. I hear Becker is a good principal, but not sure he carries that athletic torch very high. I’m also not sure about the Athletic Department Staff (AD and four Assistant ADs), I’ve heard they’re not very supportive. Any insight into that?

...and Happy Thanksgiving to you!

Gallatin standards and other people’s standards are different I will give you that.  Expectations are high here because most people realize what you have going for you.  Nobody expects state championship after state championship but we do expect quality wins here and there and with our current region playoffs.  You need to be more than competitive against County foes as well.  Again you will not win every time and that is not expected but neither is being blown out by familiar teams repeatedly.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, GWAVE1 said:

Don’t listen to all the fluff that is trying to be sold on here about facial hair and garbage.  The current interm coach has facial hair.  But I agree something has been amiss the last few years.  And by the way, I hated playing against Hillsboro during that time period.  You always had your guys willing to run through a perverbial brick wall for you.  Always wished we had a guy with that kind of intensity level to keep the guys up and motivated.  Hope you are happy back in Ky.  

I appreciate the kind words. We had some good players but great young men during that time period. Gotta have some jimmy’s & joe’s. They make you look good as a coach if you have them. I enjoyed playing you guys as well, loved the stadium you guys have. That old time feel & atmosphere was great. 

I think Coach Williams & his staff done a really good job for what they had. Football is a funny game, the next teams do not always win. I always thought Gallatin played to their strengths & got the most out of their kids when we played them. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 3:40 PM, GWAVE1 said:

Some of these are a resounding no!!  

Brooks- is this the same guy who was at Gallatin that left on bad terms? 

Bever-not a good track record see Portland

Bundy-could not even the get coordinator job last year at Gallatin, currently selling real estate

Abner-should have never been forced out at Glencliff.  

Lopez-now this is interesting and he commented on this thread

Jackson-been brought up, don’t really know him

Powell-never heard of him

Abner was not forced out at Glencliff. He left there with the principal to open the at that time new Cane Ridge High. He was somewhat forced out from CR however.

Edited by MichaelMyers76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Abner was not forced out at Glencliff. He left there with the principal to open the at that time new Cane Ridge High. He was somewhat forced out from CR however.

I remember Abner quoted as saying he wanted to be at Glencliff.  Then a few years later he was gone.  I never understood if he wanted to be there, then why he left.  I honestly thought it was a typical metro move and that is why I said that.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Announcements



×
×
  • Create New...