Oak Ridge Football 2019

ORDT

3 minutes ago, bonkers said:

Defensive backs to replace 13, 7, 12, and 1 will be hard to come by. Fact is, there’s nobody that caliber coming up. The defense, WR, and skill players take a huge hit! 

That's what I thought at 1st but we  return 1 of 2 starting CBs.7 missed a lot of time and his back played well.1 of 2 saft is back and 12 was really good but safety is one of the easier things to replace.1 played as much LB as DB but his run stopping and ability to make open field tackles will be missed.We need a new identity on defense.I know people love Miner but we had way to much talent to let Catholic do what that did last week.Thats on coaching.Great defense vs bad teams is one thing but to many times our defense gets scored on by lesser talent.We have to be better on defense next yr.I think we will have the players to do it.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 9:39 PM, ORDT said:

Having watched this team since the late 90s, Id say today we have rare talent. Sure, we had a 5 Star, but even with him, we didn’t win State or even get out of the quarterfinals. 

Going out on a limb but I’d say this 2019 team has a very clear shot something special. And lookout for those 10th grade kids who never got to play but were part of the only undefeated freshman squad since I can remember. 

I agree and think if  4 or 5 key players put the work in and improve like they can we can be great.Im hoping we see some new faces from the Soph class that step up and fill in holes.

OR does have a most of the linemen coming back and that is good, off season work and more size helps there, Catholic used its size to beat us up front a lot the second half, more pressure on Booker when he was trying to execute the offense had us backed up and giving them good field position for their 3rd Quarter run. When you go three and out and punt to them inside your 40, you are asking for it, The defense got worn down some. 

I agree it will be very tough to replace Booker. Graham, Pendergrass and Thompson, but we have some younger guys that can do some, we may be less of a big play offensive team next year but with Gibbons at QB and if we can fill the holes we can be right there in the hunt,  The defense will be solid, Adams at linebacker is a great player and leader on defense...we do need to replace some good defensive backs though,  Kicking will be better, we had a sophomore kicker and he should gain leg strength and accuracy next season, we do need to find a punter though, had guys doing double duty there last season.

I look for Powell to be the team to beat next year, they were young and have a lot returning, Fulton lost some good players like OR, and West could be better if they can get some offense going with their great defenses, 

It's hard for me to lay what happened against Catholic on the defense.  They were put in a situation in the 2nd half where Catholic started 3 of their 4 scoring drives with momentum and a short field.  One drive started at the 40 after a punt.  Two others started inside the 20 after lost fumbles.  Plus they were on the field nearly the entire second half.  The offense only had 3 first downs in the second half and two of those were long touchdowns. 

Thanks to all the players and coaches for all the time and effort you put in.  Especially thanks to the seniors.  Looking forward to next season.  I think we should have a pretty good team.   

2 hours ago, oridgecat said:

It's hard for me to lay what happened against Catholic on the defense.  They were put in a situation in the 2nd half where Catholic started 3 of their 4 scoring drives with momentum and a short field.  One drive started at the 40 after a punt.  Two others started inside the 20 after lost fumbles.  Plus they were on the field nearly the entire second half.  The offense only had 3 first downs in the second half and two of those were long touchdowns. 

Thanks to all the players and coaches for all the time and effort you put in.  Especially thanks to the seniors.  Looking forward to next season.  I think we should have a pretty good team.   

I wouldn't "lay" it on the defense but I'll tell you this, Catholic threw the ball anytime they wanted to and the receiver was wide open, and it had nothing to do with field position. Also, their QB had all night to throw the ball and that had nothing to do with field position. Minor better find a way over the next nine months, to get some pressure on the QB. Central put MUCH more pressure on the Catholic QB than we did.

You're right about the field position though, it was AWFUL for us and GREAT for them, but from where I was sitting, it wouldn't have mattered whether Catholic started on our 40 or their 20, our defense was PITIFUL. It's the worst I've seen around here in years! 

Edited by bonkers

22 hours ago, bonkers said:

I wouldn't "lay" it on the defense but I'll tell you this, Catholic threw the ball anytime they wanted to and the receiver was wide open, and it had nothing to do with field position. Also, their QB had all night to throw the ball and that had nothing to do with field position. Minor better find a way over the next nine months, to get some pressure on the QB. Central put MUCH more pressure on the Catholic QB than we did.

You're right about the field position though, it was AWFUL for us and GREAT for them, but from where I was sitting, it wouldn't have mattered whether Catholic started on our 40 or their 20, our defense was PITIFUL. It's the worst I've seen around here in years! 

Field position/turn overs on offense, 3 and outs dictated the outcome. Despite what you think, saying they were PITIFUL is absurd. The DC clearly knows what he is doing and utilizes the talent he has to execute his game plan; hard to prevent a TD or a few when you are 1) on the field most of the 2nd half and 2) backed up on the red-zone every series and lets not forget the fake punt attempt which led to a short field as well.

10 hours ago, ORDT said:

Field position/turn overs on offense, 3 and outs dictated the outcome. Despite what you think, saying they were PITIFUL is absurd. The DC clearly knows what he is doing and utilizes the talent he has to execute his game plan; hard to prevent a TD or a few when you are 1) on the field most of the 2nd half and 2) backed up on the red-zone every series and lets not forget the fake punt attempt which led to a short field as well.

I agree we lost the lead in 3rd qtr because of that but the defense wasn't very good the whole game.Catholic stopped themselves as much as we did in the 1st half.But way deeper than that game Clinton scored 28 pts on us with half the talent and running the same 3 plays.Sevier Co moved the ball on us a week after they looked awful vs South Doyle.Fulton had a bunch of FR on the Oline and we still couldn't get near the QB.I could go on and on with games where defense was way under performing in years past but also some really good games so I don't get it.But like in Catholic game we have Herbert a great CB playing 10 yds off his man and giving them 5 plus yds any time they want it.But what killed me was the QB running all over us and we never had a guy spy him or changed anything.Im not calling anybody a bad coach but just don't want us to get to that next level and we have to be honest with ourselves.And im going off of big games not what we do vs teams that don't win 5 games.RWR

20 hours ago, ORDT said:

The defense was bad against Catholic and if you don't want to blame Minor then blame Gaddis, but somebody has to answer for it. Field position was bad in the third quarter but the defense was bad for four quarters. Why we didn't apply pressure to the QB is beyond me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, STILLNUM1 said:

I agree we lost the lead in 3rd qtr because of that but the defense wasn't very good the whole game.Catholic stopped themselves as much as we did in the 1st half.But way deeper than that game Clinton scored 28 pts on us with half the talent and running the same 3 plays.Sevier Co moved the ball on us a week after they looked awful vs South Doyle.Fulton had a bunch of FR on the Oline and we still couldn't get near the QB.I could go on and on with games where defense was way under performing in years past but also some really good games so I don't get it.But like in Catholic game we have Herbert a great CB playing 10 yds off his man and giving them 5 plus yds any time they want it.But what killed me was the QB running all over us and we never had a guy spy him or changed anything.Im not calling anybody a bad coach but just don't want us to get to that next level and we have to be honest with ourselves.And im going off of big games not what we do vs teams that don't win 5 games.RWR

I agree with you 100%. People don't need to get defensive but our defense was atrocious against Catholic. It was a poor plan, poor execution, and poor coaching.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bounder said:

On another note they started digging up the grass up to "The Ship" Monday. Of course this doesn't mean much but then I'm too negative and don't have any faith in the powers that run the show!! 

LOL...stop being so negative!  I can't believe that any work is actually being done on Blankenship!!!!!!!