Oak Ridge Football 2019

ORDT

14 minutes ago, catswild said:

If they have, I haven't seen it. But when they do, I hope Gaddis has taken into account the losses of major contributors and the fact that their replacements are nothing like them (Graham, Booker, Pendergrass, and Mitchell). As I watched freshmen/JV games, I saw nothing that resembled the talent level of those guys. I hate to say it, but I see a decline on the horizon. I hope they're pretty good but I fear they will be far from great.

The quarterback will be very good for two years. The receivers are good but I'm concerned about a running back (not sure who it will be). The o-line should return intact I think. The secondary took a hit but it didn't look very good against Catholic so maybe that's not so bad. I hope the kicking game improves. I think we'll be better than you think but I agree that a decline is on the horizon, and unfortunately you can't recruit like in college or private schools. And unlike you, I hope the schedule is even tougher than last season. I don't care so much about the regular season record (especially non-district games) and I think tough games will make our team better.

Edited by bonkers

1 hour ago, bonkers said:

The quarterback will be very good for two years. The receivers are good but I'm concerned about a running back (not sure who it will be). The o-line should return intact I think. The secondary took a hit but it didn't look very good against Catholic so maybe that's not so bad. I hope the kicking game improves. I think we'll be better than you think but I agree that a decline is on the horizon, and unfortunately you can't recruit like in college or private schools. And unlike you, I hope the schedule is even tougher than last season. I don't care so much about the regular season record (especially non-district games) and I think tough games will make our team better.

We have some good backs still in the program:  Kendall Jackson #1, Jacquez Johnson #3,  Isaiah Johnson #20. Tyrell Romano #21, Jaylen Heyward #24, Kjuan Stacy-Wright #16, Trey Rowe #36.  These guys are all really good backs.  Nice combination of speed guys and power guys.  

Ahh oridgecat if these guys ever said anything positive about the cats in preseason everybody would be surprised. I'll just wait till spring and go down and watch some practice and then make a decision. Course my opinions don't count for any more than anyone else. So who cares what anybody says?

17 hours ago, oridgecat said:

We have some good backs still in the program:  Kendall Jackson #1, Jacquez Johnson #3,  Isaiah Johnson #20. Tyrell Romano #21, Jaylen Heyward #24, Kjuan Stacy-Wright #16, Trey Rowe #36.  These guys are all really good backs.  Nice combination of speed guys and power guys.  

I forgot about Jackson, he's young but pretty good. Jacquez Johnson isn't a running back (at least he never has been), Isaiah Johnson is a receiver (at least he was the last two years), Romano and Rowe are big but not fast, Stacy-Wright is a senior (I think), and Heyward barely weighs 100 pounds. So I'm not quite as optimistic as you are.

On 1/9/2019 at 1:25 PM, catswild said:

No breakaway speed for years to come...that's a huge problem.

Lol. We got Tre's lil bro, who is gonna be a stud. Jaquez Johnson will probably take Jordan's spot. Maybe not as fast as Jordan (who is?), but he is by no means slow, and may even be quicker laterally than Jordan was. We got another kid coming up who is a freshman (Johnny Williams son if you remember him?)(Also Jefferson had a stud RB who is gonna be great if he sticks with it) who is going to be a lights out ballplayer. Jonathan Stewart, and of course the QB are going to be really good players. That freshman squad didn't go undefeated for nothing. There's talent there. Also, nobody mentioned #22 Preston Turner who will be a rising JR who has very good wheels, mind you. Of course, losing the guys we are gonna lose is huge, but there always seems to be others who step up. Seriously though, besides Jordan, did we ever think Booker, Pendergrass, and a few other guys would be as good as they turned out to be when they were freshman? I sure as heck didn't. At the age these kids are at, so many things can happen with their bodies when they hit the weights and work out hard. I went to school with and grew up with Jason McAddley. When he was at Robertsville in 8th grade, I could outrun him. When he got to the High School he was an above average athlete in 10th grade, but right before his JR season he exploded onto the scene, and the rest is history.

Of course it usually doesn't happen to that extent, but a lot of things can happen from when a kid is say a freshman, to when he becomes a JR, or even a Soph for that matter. What have we had 5 losing seasons at Oak Ridge since 1943, maybe 6, if that? Every year we lose players, and at the end of the year I say (we are really gonna miss so and so star player), but there always, year after year since I have been alive (1978) more times than not always been somebody else to fill that role. They may not do it quite as good as the one before, but they do it well enough to win us ballgames and get the job done. I don't see that being any different this coming year. We may not be as good as we were this year, but I doubt Central and Fulton will be either. I don't know about Central, but Fulton was a SR laden team. We don't have to worry about Catholic anymore (thank God). Trust me, the talent we have coming up isn't nothing to snuff at. We will be aight.

Edited by SweetScience

17 hours ago, SweetScience said:

Lol. We got Tre's lil bro, who is gonna be a stud. Jaquez Johnson will probably take Jordan's spot. Maybe not as fast as Jordan (who is?), but he is by no means slow, and may even be quicker laterally than Jordan was. We got another kid coming up who is a freshman (Johnny Williams son if you remember him?)(Also Jefferson had a stud RB who is gonna be great if he sticks with it) who is going to be a lights out ballplayer. Jonathan Stewart, and of course the QB are going to be really good players. That freshman squad didn't go undefeated for nothing. There's talent there. Also, nobody mentioned #22 Preston Turner who will be a rising JR who has very good wheels, mind you. Of course, losing the guys we are gonna lose is huge, but there always seems to be others who step up. Seriously though, besides Jordan, did we ever think Booker, Pendergrass, and a few other guys would be as good as they turned out to be when they were freshman? I sure as heck didn't. At the age these kids are at, so many things can happen with their bodies when they hit the weights and work out hard. I went to school with and grew up with Jason McAddley. When he was at Robertsville in 8th grade, I could outrun him. When he got to the High School he was an above average athlete in 10th grade, but right before his JR season he exploded onto the scene, and the rest is history.

Of course it usually doesn't happen to that extent, but a lot of things can happen from when a kid is say a freshman, to when he becomes a JR, or even a Soph for that matter. What have we had 5 losing seasons at Oak Ridge since 1943, maybe 6, if that? Every year we lose players, and at the end of the year I say (we are really gonna miss so and so star player), but there always, year after year since I have been alive (1978) more times than not always been somebody else to fill that role. They may not do it quite as good as the one before, but they do it well enough to win us ballgames and get the job done. I don't see that being any different this coming year. We may not be as good as we were this year, but I doubt Central and Fulton will be either. I don't know about Central, but Fulton was a SR laden team. We don't have to worry about Catholic anymore (thank God). Trust me, the talent we have coming up isn't nothing to snuff at. We will be aight.

sunshine pumper!  JK. The freshman team next year has a chance to be really good.  The 1-2 punch of Williams and Kelley at RB will be fun to watch.  They should have good size and numbers as well.   Coach Daniel Bass has been an excellent addition as freshman head coach.

22 hours ago, SweetScience said:

I'm not sure that I agree with your entire post but I actually feel better after reading it...thank you.