Oak Ridge Football 2019

ORDT

4 minutes ago, DavidGlasgow said:

I don't have a dog in this fight and judging from the comments Maryville must have put it on Oak Ridge during a scrimmage. Something to think about. This is isn't an apple to apples comparison when it comes to football. When you play a team like Maryville you are playing the best players from all over Blount county. In the past there were and maybe still are some from Knox, Loudon and Sevier counties. What if Oak Ridge took the best players from all of Anderson county and fielded a football team? You would have the same problem that the other schools in Blount county have to deal with. Now you have programs like William Blount and Heritage that can barely field a team because Maryville recruits and takes all their players. Imagine how good Oak Ridge could've been last year with a few of Anderson counties best players and a few of Clintons best players added .You would have a power house team and then 2 other teams that would be lucky to win 2-3 games a year.  This is the type of stuff that is ruining High School sports. And all the fault doesn't fall on the coaches. It also falls on the parents that think their kid is gonna be the next great D1 player from this area so they pimp their kid out to whatever team can get them closer to their dream of have a kid play D-1 football. In my opinion I think kids should play where they live. Good luck this season to Oak Ridge and be proud that Oak Ridge is fielding a team of Oak Ridge players.

Unfortunately, you are correct

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ORDT said:

Scrimmage...was a scrimmage. No sense in getting out of whack about a scrimmage.

1) You really think the O is going to toss in 'starting drive' plays? No, it's a scrimmage. A time to work on plays against one of the best teams in the State.

2) Did I mention it's a scrimmage? Guys being played in different positions....again, scrimmage...practice.

3) The score means nothing...its a scrimmage.

IMO

Defense:

The D was shakey in the 1st series. They looked like they were not prepared and missed some key tackles.

2nd series, D was on it. Impressive.

Offense:

Unsure why the run plays from they looked sharp once they started connecting.

IMO - Was a scrimmage....who cares about the score....and the 1st few drives were all that really mattered as the starting lineup was in.

I agree with everything you said but I have serious concerns about this team. Not much speed or experience could lead to a dismal season

13 minutes ago, catswild said:

I agree with everything you said but I have serious concerns about this team. Not much speed or experience could lead to a dismal season

I do agree. I'm betting they'll settle on the RB/HB situation....lock in the 'go to' WRs....and fingers crossed the DBs get some upgrades.

39 minutes ago, DavidGlasgow said:

I don't have a dog in this fight and judging from the comments Maryville must have put it on Oak Ridge during a scrimmage. Something to think about. This is isn't an apple to apples comparison when it comes to football. When you play a team like Maryville you are playing the best players from all over Blount county. In the past there were and maybe still are some from Knox, Loudon and Sevier counties. What if Oak Ridge took the best players from all of Anderson county and fielded a football team? You would have the same problem that the other schools in Blount county have to deal with. Now you have programs like William Blount and Heritage that can barely field a team because Maryville recruits and takes all their players. Imagine how good Oak Ridge could've been last year with a few of Anderson counties best players and a few of Clintons best players added .You would have a power house team and then 2 other teams that would be lucky to win 2-3 games a year.  This is the type of stuff that is ruining High School sports. And all the fault doesn't fall on the coaches. It also falls on the parents that think their kid is gonna be the next great D1 player from this area so they pimp their kid out to whatever team can get them closer to their dream of have a kid play D-1 football. In my opinion I think kids should play where they live. Good luck this season to Oak Ridge and be proud that Oak Ridge is fielding a team of Oak Ridge players.

Thank you, sir. Are you a Farragut fan? Seem to recall seeing you on some past Admirals/Wildcats threads? I’ve always been proud that our sports teams have kept it ‘in house’ so to say. Even back in the 90s when people used to accuse us of recruiting (even though we weren’t) I grew up with pretty much every single guy that was on our team from 94-96. Pretty much the whole 91 state title team was OR boys who went to school together from kindergarten to 12th grade. We’ve usually had enough athletes within the city to where we don’t have to look outside. I personally don’t think Maryville ‘recruits’ in the way people think, but their success through the years has recruited for them, and as a result of that, kids from all over have come to play for them. Same could be said for Alcoa. Kids wanna play for winners.

Edited by SweetScience

19 minutes ago, SweetScience said:

Thank you, sir. Are you a Farragut fan? Seem to recall seeing you on some past Admirals/Wildcats threads? I’ve always been proud that our sports teams have kept it ‘in house’ so to say. Even back in the 90s when people used to accuse us of recruiting (even though we weren’t) I grew up with pretty much every single guy that was on our team from 94-96. Pretty much the whole 91 state title team was OR boys who went to school together from kindergarten to 12th grade. We’ve usually had enough athletes within the city to where we don’t have to look outside. I personally don’t think Maryville ‘recruits’ in the way people think, but their success through the years has recruited for them, and as a result of that, kids from all over have come to play for them. Same could be said for Alcoa. Kids wanna play for winners.

You're right again, Sweets

Just heard the scoreboard in the North End Zone was taken down on Monday to be replaced by a Jumbotron before the HVA game. 

How about we try to acknowledge the improvements that have been made to Blankenship Field / Jack Armstrong Stadium since last season ( new turf / Jumbotron )?  More improvements are in the works like new fencing which includes a funding competition between ORHS graduating classes. My class of 1982 is over half way to the goal. I have given 3 times of $20 for a total of $60. If everybody gives a little it adds up to a lot. I think a new track is also coming as part of the State Grant we received.

Let's not forget the community volunteers who will clean and repaint the stadium in a week or so.

A lot of people are working to Right the Ship! We need to be proud of our efforts. Yes, some people have projects they still want addressed and hopefully in time it will get done.

Finally, let's support the PLAYERS, Cheer, Wild Band, Dance Cats and student managers and trainers. Get the Students Cheering Sections back and make noise and follow their cheers.

Remember we are Oak Ridge! Remember we are BIG RED! Remember you can be positive or negative. I never played football at ORHS but my best friends did and I got in the habit of cheering for them and I have never kicked nor will I kick the habit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, DavidGlasgow said:

Your full of crap. It cost $2,200.00 tuition to send your kid out of area to Maryville City Schools so don't set on your high horse and repeat baloney that has been repeated over and over from sore losers over the years to help sooth your butt hurt. Alcoa tuition is $700.00 a year so go figure who gets all the players. Most families that send their kids to either one of these two schools is to escape going to the piss poor run county schools that are underfunded because the leaders of Blount County are just good ole boys taking care of themselves and letting the schools turn into outdated dumps. The game that was played between Maryville and Oak Ridge was a scrimmage and lots of kids got to play for both teams. Most of the 1st team action was over by half and a lot of players from both sides were going in and out by the middle of the second quarter.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Your full of crap. It cost $2,200.00 tuition to send your kid out of area to Maryville City Schools so don't set on your high horse and repeat baloney that has been repeated over and over from sore losers over the years to help sooth your butt hurt. Alcoa tuition is $700.00 a year so go figure who gets all the players. Most families that send their kids to either one of these two schools is to escape going to the piss poor run county schools that are underfunded because the leaders of Blount County are just good ole boys taking care of themselves and letting the schools turn into outdated dumps. The game that was played between Maryville and Oak Ridge was a scrimmage and lots of kids got to play for both teams. Most of the 1st team action was over by half and a lot of players from both sides were going in and out by the middle of the second quarter.

That is if you can get in to the Maryville City School systems.  I had a client that decided to not build his dream home on the lake in Louisville because he was afraid his daughter wouldn't be able to get back into the Maryville School system if they moved outside the city limits

26 minutes ago, Swipes said:

That is if you can get in to the Maryville City School systems.  I had a client that decided to not build his dream home on the lake in Louisville because he was afraid his daughter wouldn't be able to get back into the Maryville School system if they moved outside the city limits

Was she a good football player? If she had been, she would've gotten back in, I promise you. If you come to Oak Ridge and live in Knox County, it's over $7000

3 hours ago, BarneySox2007 said:

Barney this made me laugh. The Blount County school system, who is supposedly worried about classroom needs, just voted in new field houses at both high schools . Wonder who can get a piggyback ride off of that?

Image result for tee hee gif

https://www.thedailytimes.com/news/blount-county-board-of-education-approves-million-for-new-football/article_7aefce2c-42ec-59af-8ee3-80a602688f42.html

Edited by MarevulBigGal