Oak Ridge Football 2019

ORDT

4 minutes ago, IanMackaye said:

For that matter, does OR even have soccer, baseball, softball, tennis, or track teams? Do spring sports and spring football even happen at Oak Ridge?

Lots of sports programs in Oak Ridge for certain.  I'm not sure which thread I would go to for that information.  Facebook, Twitter, etc... would be a good start.

17 hours ago, OR nole said:

Amen. Been there. Now I'm on the outside looking in - hoping for a little info.

Agreed, maybe they (boosters?) will update their webpage and provide some insight? I hear chatter darn near daily but its the same group of guys who occasionally watch their practice.

On the other side of it, proud that people even engage on this topic...good or bad...at least OR can claim there are fans of the programs.

Then give us a spring practice report with specifics....just no 40 times and I'll try my best to be nice and positive!  I'll tell you my concerns and you address them since you're a regular at practice.

First concern is the secondary - Who's starting and what does the depth look like?

Second concern is the offensive line - Is the line any bigger than a year ago?

Third is the running back situation - Who starts and how about depth?

Next is the QB position - Who are the candidates competing and what do they look like other than Gibbons?

Fifth is the wide receivers - who are they?

The defensive line would be next - who starts there?

Do we have a kicking game (we barely had one last year)?

Who are the other LBs besides Adams?

Team speed - Don't tell me it's great but how is it compared to last year? I fear we'll be much slower.

Bonkers, I can try to address some of that. This is the totally unofficial and probably not very accurate view from the parking lot report.  Hard to tell at times because the practice jersey numbers don't always  match the game jersey numbers.  And the kids don't always wear the same practice jersey.  But I can tell you what I think I have seen so far. 

Secondary is looking for another safety. corners include K. Jackson, I. Jones, Preston Turner, Safety is Replogle.  Cole Adams may win the other safety job.  He is not the kicker, It was Jacob that punted for us last year. 

O-line is the same guys, finally have some depth and experience, each has grown and added muscle, but they are not a huge line.  Robert Hill is the exception at 6-5 290.

RB, K Jackson is likely starter. Others include, Romano, I. Jones, Trey Rowe, J. Jones

QB, no competition here.  backups include Cam Malone and Markus Melton

WR Jonathan Stewart, I. Jones, Preston Turner,  I know this sounds crazy, but don't be surprised if you see Replogle and or Romano at receiver.  Both have had reps and look good.

DL- starters  Jaxon Adams and Isaiah Boone/Vinnie West return, rotating alot of guys in and out trying to see who can play where and who can be backups.   

Kicking game?  Haven't seen anybody stand out this spring at K or P

LBs,  Romano is a beast in the middle with Adams, OLB same as DE, rotating alot of guys to see who fits where, who is best, and who is back up. 

Team speed is good, obviously not as good as last year having lost  Graham, Mitchell, Pendergrass and Booker.  I think the offense will be consistently good, but the d has to find a corner, a safety, 2 olb's  and DE to step up.  Plenty of time to get that all worked out.  I think we have the players to be pretty good.   This team may end up with 5-6 guys playing both ways.  Got to build depth at all positions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oridgecat said:

Bonkers, I can try to address some of that. This is the totally unofficial and probably not very accurate view from the parking lot report.  Hard to tell at times because the practice jersey numbers don't always  match the game jersey numbers.  And the kids don't always wear the same practice jersey.  But I can tell you what I think I have seen so far. 

Secondary is looking for another safety. corners include K. Jackson, I. Jones, Preston Turner, Safety is Replogle.  Cole Adams may win the other safety job.  He is not the kicker, It was Jacob that punted for us last year. 

O-line is the same guys, finally have some depth and experience, each has grown and added muscle, but they are not a huge line.  Robert Hill is the exception at 6-5 290.

RB, K Jackson is likely starter. Others include, Romano, I. Jones, Trey Rowe, J. Jones

WR Jonathan Stewart, I. Jones, Preston Turner,  I know this sounds crazy, but don't be surprised if you see Replogle and or Romano at receiver.  Both have had reps and look good.

DL- starters  Jaxon Adams and Isaiah Boone/Vinnie West return, rotating alot of guys in and out trying to see who can play where and who can be backups.   

LBs,  Romano is a beast in the middle with Adams, OLB same as DE, rotating alot of guys to see who fits where, who is best, and who is back up. 

Team speed is good, obviously not as good as last year having lost  Graham, Mitchell, Pendergrass and Booker.  I think the offense will be consistently good, but the d has to find a corner, a safety, 2 olb's  and DE to step up.  Plenty of time to get that all worked out.  I think we have the players to be pretty good.   This team may end up with 5-6 guys playing both ways.  Got to build depth at all positions. 

Do we have an adequate backup QB?  Kicking is very scary bad! Your report sounds better than I expect us to be so I hope you're right and I'm wrong.

oridgecat,

Thank you so very much for the update. A lot of good to be excited about with some work to do. I think we will find players to fill in the missing pieces. Depth is totally up to how hard the players will work. I bet they get the job done and represent themselves and Oak Ridge admirably. Yuck, that last word reminds me of FHS Admirals. I do not like them and never have or will. LOL. RWR!

16 hours ago, oridgecat said:

That is a better report than most news outlets put out. Thank you so much.

I think one of the biggest areas of concern is the backup QB; hope we never need one but if we do, we are going to be a run option team.

DBs are a major concern as well. Replogle can't do it all, though he certainly tries. I think Cole Adams is headed to a rover type role; he'll play DB and LB depending on the offensive scheme.

RBs are strong; K Jackson and is a beast there as well as Romano if needed.

Kicking game...I think I saw some new punters last week but couldnt figure out of they were actual punters or just kids messing around. Replogle is a varsity soccer player. I wonder if they've asked him to try it out?

15 hours ago, ORDT said:

That is a better report than most news outlets put out. Thank you so much.

I think one of the biggest areas of concern is the backup QB; hope we never need one but if we do, we are going to be a run option team.

DBs are a major concern as well. Replogle can't do it all, though he certainly tries. I think Cole Adams is headed to a rover type role; he'll play DB and LB depending on the offensive scheme.

RBs are strong; K Jackson and is a beast there as well as Romano if needed.

Kicking game...I think I saw some new punters last week but couldnt figure out of they were actual punters or just kids messing around. Replogle is a varsity soccer player. I wonder if they've asked him to try it out?

I had a thought about a possible backup QB...Replogle. Didn't he play pretty good for the freshmen team three years ago? Just a thought that is probably never going to happen.

I would think Replogle would love to punt and get on the field even more than he already is.. Also, these are the same OR coaches who asked Kai'Reese to punt last season. Asking Replogle doesn't seem so far fetched.

In case you all can't tell, I think OR will count on Replogle a lot. I also think he can and will have a solid year. RWR!

4 minutes ago, WillieTheWildcats said:

I had a thought about a possible backup QB...Replogle. Didn't he play pretty good for the freshmen team three years ago? Just a thought that is probably never going to happen.

I would think Replogle would love to punt and get on the field even more than he already is.. Also, these are the same OR coaches who asked Kai'Reese to punt last season. Asking Replogle doesn't seem so far fetched.

In case you all can't tell, I think OR will count on Replogle a lot. I also think he can and will have a solid year. RWR!

How weird the conversation turned to the punters yesterday. Tuesday was Coach Saunders' Birthday. He has had a great career turning soccer players into great P / K. Many have made All-State.

Replogle was qb for the undefeated JMS team.  I think Jack could play anywhere they asked him to play and play well.  He's just that kind of dependable guy that will give all he's got every play.   He's been a great player for us.  I remember his first start at safety as a freshman.  It was at LC,  Coach Gaddis was coaching him up on the field before the game.  he's been solid ever since.