Mid Season Transfers

ocac

What in the world is going on?  A kid transfers from Knox Halls to Alcoa in the middle of the season.  A kid from Brentwood transfers to Indy in the middle of the season.  A kid plays football for Centennial, but is going to be playing for Franklin in Basketball.  I am sure there are other examples across the state.  WTH!  What are we teaching our kids?  Daddy, I am not getting enough touches at school A, will you buy a condo across town so I can get more touches at school B?  I have already talked to the coaches on the other team.  They are ok with me coming in in mid season and taking another kid's spot who has busted his butt to play.  My coach is mean and I want to leave.  He actually expects me to be a team player and play by his rules.  Please Daddy?  Sure son.  I will take care of it tomorrow.  If I am missing something, someone please enlighten me.  TSSAA may have to change their eligibility rules.  It doesn't seem right that a parent can just up and buy a condo or house and move a kid because they don't like the circumstances of school A.  Most of the parents across the state cannot afford it, but a select few can and take advantage of it?  Come on Man!

• Like 2

I guess I look at it this way:  2 big transfers lead to 2 different outcomes.  A kid transferred from West Creek to Northeast and was enrolled at Northeast for months.  Although I agree the head coach should have known the rules & be held accountable, the kid was ruled ineligible and Northeast had to forfeit games and it ruined a season.  Other kids transfers mid-season because they are not happy at current school and their guardians/parents buy other homes across town and they are ruled eligible to play.  I blame it on the RULES & the system.  Again, A kid can be enrolled at a school for months and be ruled ineligible whereas other kids can be enrolled mid-semester at another school for 10 minutes and be ruled eligible.  Rules are rules, but it does not seem fair.  It seems to benefit the well to do people.  

Edited by ocac

2 hours ago, ocac said:

What in the world is going on?  A kid transfers from Knox Halls to Alcoa in the middle of the season.  A kid from Brentwood transfers to Indy in the middle of the season.  A kid plays football for Centennial, but is going to be playing for Franklin in Basketball.  I am sure there are other examples across the state.  WTH!  What are we teaching our kids?  Daddy, I am not getting enough touches at school A, will you buy a condo across town so I can get more touches at school B?  I have already talked to the coaches on the other team.  They are ok with me coming in in mid season and taking another kid's spot who has busted his butt to play.  My coach is mean and I want to leave.  He actually expects me to be a team player and play by his rules.  Please Daddy?  Sure son.  I will take care of it tomorrow.  If I am missing something, someone please enlighten me.  TSSAA may have to change their eligibility rules.  It doesn't seem right that a parent can just up and buy a condo or house and move a kid because they don't like the circumstances of school A.  Most of the parents across the state cannot afford it, but a select few can and take advantage of it?  Come on Man!

I definitely agree with you, the world wont have this type of reset button when things aren't going your way. This new generation of children born in the 2000s are going in the wrong direction. 

• Like 1

To play devils advocate here, how do you know what is going on with these players that transferred?  I have heard a lot of things about Bishop leaving and that his parents divorced. The kid didn't want to leave. I have no idea if that is true or not.  I do know that if the kids that elect to leave aren't happy, they can and should transfer if the family follows the rules set up by TSSAA. To say there isn't a reset button in life, give me a break! There isn't a person on coacht that hasn't left a job because they were unhappy. It happens! 

Sounds to me like some folks may be unhappy that little Johnny got demoted because of a transfer 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, OrangeEagle said:

To play devils advocate here, how do you know what is going on with these players that transferred?  I have heard a lot of things about Bishop leaving and that his parents divorced. The kid didn't want to leave. I have no idea if that is true or not.  I do know that if the kids that elect to leave aren't happy, they can and should transfer if the family follows the rules set up by TSSAA. To say there isn't a reset button in life, give me a break! There isn't a person on coacht that hasn't left a job because they were unhappy. It happens! 

Sounds to me like some folks may be unhappy that little Johnny got demoted because of a transfer 

I actually don't have a dog in the fight.  Just seeing what is happening across the state with transfers, it just seems magnified this year.  I have often felt that eligibility should be based on where you are enrolled the 1st day of school each year.  You must be enrolled in a school within the 1st 3 days of the said school system calendar.  If you transfer during the school calendar year, you are ineligible for the duration of the school calendar year.  TSSAA would not have half the problems they have if they would simplify & scale down the rules.  Don't get me wrong, I am a strong proponent of following ALL rules, but some of them seem ridiculous & unwarranted.  

2 hours ago, OrangeEagle said:

No, sounds like TSSAA picks and chooses what they want to happen. You don't just quit a job because you don't like it and show up at a new one the next day. 

Not to be an butt, if his parents did divorce you stay at said school until the season over and the transfer out, not transfer to a district opponent. 

2 hours ago, Fballfan1978 said:

No, sounds like TSSAA picks and chooses what they want to happen. You don't just quit a job because you don't like it and show up at a new one the next day. 

Not to be an butt, if his parents did divorce you stay at said school until the season over and the transfer out, not transfer to a district opponent. 

Again from what is circulating, Bishop wanted to stay but mom said he was living with her. IF that is the case, why should the child be punished for the actions of adults.  I think TSSAA is wrong in a lot of areas. I think this is not one of them

19 hours ago, Fballfan1978 said:

Actually that's exactly what you do.  You certainly shouldn't quit a job and then start looking for a new one.