1A Championship Cornersville vs Whitwell

TheBigDawg

10 hours ago, BulldawgsRise said:

I agree that TC will win 2A. Very good ball team. Both 1A teams are Great,  better than the championship teams from last year, but I think Cornersville is so well rounded and they’ll have the edge. 

Lol you jumping ship ?  Why don’t you come on over to the Peabody Trousdale thread and support them ? 

Trousdale hasn’t got anything we haven’t seen this year 

I know Cornersville is senior loaded and has been there, but I just can’t go against Whitwell. They seem to find a way every week when the outcome looks bleak. It should be a good game, but I said it once already. If Cornersville allows more than 21 points they can’t win this game. Their defense must keep it low scoring like the last few weeks to have a shot. The more points that are scored the more advantage toward Whitwell. The lower the points scored.. advantage Cornersville. 

5 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

I know Cornersville is senior loaded and has been there, but I just can’t go against Whitwell. They seem to find a way every week when the outcome looks bleak. It should be a good game, but I said it once already. If Cornersville allows more than 21 points they can’t win this game. Their defense must keep it low scoring like the last few weeks to have a shot. The more points that are scored the more advantage toward Whitwell. The lower the points scored.. advantage Cornersville. 

The underdog role. Perfect. That is where we strive.

6 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

The difference is I said it would be a great game. Do you disagree that Cornersville needs to hold them to 21 or less to have a chance to win?

I believe the Bulldogs have the same ability to score as Whitwell. Defense will always be the difference in winning. Both teams are mirror images of each other. Should be worth the price of admission.

10 minutes ago, TheAmbassador said:

Holding them under 21 shouldn't be a problem.  Cornersville's starters have faced 50+ point scoring offenses numerous times and only allowed one team to score more than 8 points in a game.  Whitwell gave up 20 to a sad Cannon County team, 25 to an average Polk County team, 28 to a good South Pitt, and 21 to Greenback.  No doubt some of those points hang around the necks of the second and third stringers, but the fact remains that Whitwell routinely gives up 20 points or more to mediocre, average, and good teams.  Cornersville does not.  Advantage Cornersville.

I have watched all four of Whitwells toughest games this season-  The answers lies with stopping the big plays - some have been lucky some have been  have been good executions. The ball has truly taken some Tiger bounces in all four games. 

The answer for cornersville is contain Petty and Wingo - Wingo is not 100% if you watch film I’m not telling  you anything you don’t know-  Will be shocked 15 makes it past Q1. Again if you have watched film it’s no secret - Prepare your defense for Petty as QB /wildcat this will be most  of what you see-  Wingo is good but but Petty is the backbone - shut him down and Tigers have a tough day ahead of them . 

Last but not least # 20 must be contained at the line of scrimmage -keep him in front of the pass defender at all times  especially if Petty is playing QB - when they are behind that is their go to play every time. 

18 minutes ago, TheBigDawg said:

Holding them under 21 shouldn't be a problem.  Cornersville's starters have faced 50+ point scoring offenses numerous times and only allowed one team to score more than 8 points in a game.  Whitwell gave up 20 to a sad Cannon County team, 25 to an average Polk County team, 28 to a good South Pitt, and 21 to Greenback.  No doubt some of those points hang around the necks of the second and third stringers, but the fact remains that Whitwell routinely gives up 20 points or more to mediocre, average, and good teams.  Cornersville does not.  Advantage Cornersville.

I agree with a lot of what you said. The Whitwell starters gave up 12 and 20 to SP in regulation.  Then 21 to Greenback. As I look back, I personally think that the top 5-6 teams in 1A were all very close this season.  Whitwell played two of them in SP and Greenback. They also played Trousdale. They never allowed more than 3 scores with starters in regulation.  On the flip side.. Cornersville didn’t allow more than 1 score the last two weeks. Now.. comparing Huntingdon and Lake county to SP and Greenback? I think the two teams in the west had more prolific offenses.  However I believe SP had a stronger defense than Huntingdon or Lake County. I see a lot of similarities between these teams. Ultimately I think it comes down to who gets the breaks and turnovers. After seeing the breaks that Whitwell has gotten. It’s just hard to think their luck will change. 

Edited by TheAmbassador

1 hour ago, Tide21 said:

Lol you jumping ship ?  Why don’t you come on over to the Peabody Trousdale thread and support them ? 

Trousdale hasn’t got anything we haven’t seen this year 

I’m not jumping ship. I think both y’all and TC are great teams. I think TC has the slight edge based off of what I’ve seen, but I know good and well that Peabody absolutely has the ability to win that game. It’s gonna come down to Peabody being more dynamic 

28 minutes ago, TheTruthPrevails said:

do any whitwell people know why the coach goes for two at odd times?  I understand the sp game it was cold, but it almost cost the Tigers the game last week had they not hit the halfback pass.  I hope this low scoring game doesnt come down to this.

I’ve noticed he gambles a lot. He goes for it a lot on his side of the field. Last week he did it inside his own 30 in the fourth quarter.  The defense stopped Greenback, but that’s still a heavy gamble.