MidTennFootball

Who wins?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Oakland
    • Whitehaven

4 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Times have changed indeed. We used to fill up the stands, win or lose

I know Cookeville has been a great host these last 10 years, but I honestly wish TSSAA would go back to 5 classifications and move back to Floyd Stadium.  In my opinion, attendance would improve because I know some feel that the playoff system now is watered down with too many classes.  With greater competition comes greater fan interest.  It wouldn't be a bad idea for the privates to go to 2 classifications and possibly playing at Vandy.  Both locations would be great access for all teams across the state for travel purposes.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MidTennFootball said:

Times have changed indeed. We used to fill up the stands, win or lose

Murfreesboro and Rutherford County have gotten so big, there's really no "community support" in athletics anymore. All of our schools are gigantic except, DII Middle TN Christian, Providence Academy and Tiny 2A Eagleville. I don't know actual figures but I would bet Eagleville has as big of crowds on Friday Night as many of our 6A schools. 

Edited by GoPats2019

Whitehaven, please tell number 2 and 4 Thank You for letting me see some great plays.  Those two young men played their tails off and stopped a couple more sure scores.  Like I also said earlier in the week, there was NO give up from your team and they played the full 48.  While they may have not been up to your usual standards, the players gave what they had and should be congratulated for making it to the Championship game.

Oakland, Congratulations.  You pointed out a football trueism last night.  While offense puts butts in the seats, DEFENSE wins Championships.

Now as to earlier Rutherford County teams, I not only saw the 70 Central team, I played against some of them!  Have also seen all the other Rutherford County state championship teams.  There has been one or two better teams from here that won the Gold Ball also.  I agree I would love to see the current Oakland team go against a couple of the R'dale teams of old.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Chief6684 said:

Tennessee high school football is about as bad as it has been in years and it shows when a one dimensional team can dominate a 6A championship game. We are about on par with Delaware or Connecticut high school football. Tennessee Vols should join the MAC.

Threw for 100 or so and ran for 200 or so in this game. Ran for 4000 or so and passed for 1700 or so for the season. This statement makes no sense.

Is Oakland run-heavy, yes. One-dimensional, no. 

40 minutes ago, GoPats2019 said:

The band constantly playing is ridiculous. Maybe the football teams should go to band competitions and start a game on the sidelines. 

Instead of the TSSAA trying to add more classifications or eliminate spring practice or any other stupid idea, let's make some rules that actually make sense. I have no problem with bands playing during timeouts, between quarters and even up til the offense goes to the line of scrimmage, but playing the entire game and while play is going on is bush league. 

Some states (such as GA) have specific rules regarding when the band cannot play.  The SEC also have rules regarding when bands cannot play.  I agree with you.