6A Championship Oakland v. Whitehaven

MidTennFootball

Who wins?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Oakland
    • Whitehaven

Oakland blanks Whitehaven, wins first state title in a decade

Khari Thompson, Memphis Commercial AppealPublished 1:52 a.m. CT Nov. 30, 2018 | Updated 11:44 a.m. CT Nov. 30, 2018

Oakland dominated Whitehaven to capture the 6A state title. Nashville Tennessean

B04i3812

(Photo: Helen Comer / DNJ)

Last week, Whitehaven put up 33 points in just the second half. This week, the Tigers were held scoreless, as Oakland claimed the 6A state title Thursday night in a 37-0 rout. 

Oakland's defense set the tone early, forcing three consecutive Whitehaven three-and-outs and six straight punts to start the game. The Patriots limited the Tigers to 81 yards of total offense and three first downs. 

Keyshawn Harris threw for 28 yards on 7-of-23 passing with an interception. The Tigers had three rushers (Harris, Marcus Taylor, and Cameron Sneed) combine for 57 rushing yards. Whitehaven also fumbled twice and lost one of them.

"They play a kind of umbrella defense to try to contain you," Whitehaven coach Rodney Saulsberry said. "We had some opportunities to get things done, but we just didn't make it happen. That's the biggest thing. We told the guys you have to take advantage of opportunities."

"They try to keep you from hitting the home run and you have to be patient, take the small things and keep working it. We have to make sure we stay the course and we didn't do a good job of staying the course throughout it."

The Patriots' defense gave up 17 points in five total playoff games -- 10 in the first round against Rossview and 7 in the quarterfinals against Mt. Juliet. The Oakland defense posted three playoff shutouts of Hendersonville, Maryville, and Whitehaven.

The Tigers were shut out for the first time since 2010.

The closest Whitehaven came to scoring was when Tyler Hunter picked up a fumble and ran it back into the endzone, but Oakland regained possession.

"That was a big point in the game. It was 17-0. If we score that ball, its 17-7 and things get a lot tighter. It could have made a difference, but overall we've still got to make plays," Saulsberry said.

Oakland defensive end Joseph Anderson, a South Carolina commitment, said a big part of shutting down the Whitehaven offense was watching out for screens. 

"I saw that they run a lot of screens and stuff, and we knew a lot of screens were coming by their formations," Anderson said.

Oakland running back Xavier Myers rushed for 113 yards and a touchdown on 29 carries to secure the BlueCross Bowl MVP award. 

Oakland's strong offense was difficult to contain but it was their difference that kept Whitehaven off the scoreboard in the Class 6A title game. Nashville Tennessean

"I just saw the holes and there were some wide open plays," Myers said. "I just tried to made cuts and tried to get yardage to help my team win."

Oakland (14-1) has now won each of its last three titles ten exactly ten years apart from each other with wins in 1998, 2008, and 2018. The Patriots now have four total state championships, with the other coming in 1984. 

"They just were more aggressive than we were, that's basically it," Whitehaven linebacker Martavius French said. "They were just hungry tonight, and we weren't." 

2 minutes ago, Lost Old Dad said:

Actually I think WH did get one 1st down in the last of the 2nd qtr.  I didn't record it so I can't go back to check.

As for Oakland being one dimensional, it was the passing to the flats at the beginning of the second half that got Oakland scoring the second half.

I had the unfair advantage of no booze comfortable and warm in bed watching. LOL  I am saving the Tequila for tonight!

LOD:

I thought the Oakland OC called a very good game. His game plan was top notch.

4 minutes ago, kwc said:

LOD:

I thought the Oakland OC called a very good game. His game plan was top notch.

That's the HC.  Only thing I disagree with his calling is having the QB run back and forth EVERY play.  QB has the arm band, USE it.

Only thing WH had last night I did not like was the stupid Purge banner.  Could have set the refs against y'all if they took it the wrong way.  Somebody needs to tell the cheer leader coach to THINK before she commits the team.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Lost Old Dad said:

Actually I think WH did get one 1st down in the last of the 2nd qtr.  I didn't record it so I can't go back to check.

As for Oakland being one dimensional, it was the passing to the flats at the beginning of the second half that got Oakland scoring the second half.

I had the unfair advantage of no booze comfortable and warm in bed watching. LOL  I am saving the Tequila for tonight!

Nope there was a Whitehaven penalty on that play that took away that 1st down in the first half! They did not get a first down until 28 seconds left in the 3rd quarter! So almost 3 full quarters before they got their 1st first down. Half time stats showed Oakland with 201 yards total offense 18:10 time of possession to Whitehaven's  26 yards of total offense and 5:50 time of possession! 

Edited by BullyDog

3 minutes ago, BullyDog said:

Nope there was a Whitehaven penalty on that play that took away that 1st down in the first half! They did not get a first down until 28 seconds left in the 3rd quarter! So almost 3 full quarters before they got their 1st first down. Half time stats showed Oakland with 201 yards total offense 18:10 time of possession to Whitehaven's  26 yards of total offense and 5:50 time of possession! 

Thanks, I missed the penalty.  Took the 1st down as a perfect time to bathroom break.  LOL

A lot easier when you do not have to walk forever to do it.

1 minute ago, Lost Old Dad said:

There was also times when they had MORE fans in MTSU's stadium than MTSU ever has when it was R'dale vs Oakland.

1998 State Quarterfinals at MTSU with Oakland/Riverdale... probably 20K in the stands finally saw Oakland break through and beat Riverdale after years of frustration. Definitely the biggest HS crowd I've ever seen in person. 

Reading some of this stuff about Oakland having a terrible wingT offense and not being near as good as teams from other States is comical.  Of course Whitehaven was criticized 2 years ago and Maryville has taken lots of criticism.  Who cares about other States? Oakland is your 6A Champions.  I respect Oakland a lot. Even though they are now a rival to Maryville.  I think Oakland is a classy program. When Oakland and Maryville play each other there is respect shown. 

I don't care what offense Oakland runs. I have seen them run wingT but also spread you out. Their offense is good enough.  Oakland wins with defense.  What they did to Maryville and Whitehaven is very impressive.  Congratulations to Oakland on a state title.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1