5A Championship - Knox Central vs Henry Co.

CU06

4 minutes ago, chsbobcat09 said:

We will also. There’s no question your players want it bad, they gritted out a tough game with a good Beech team to make it here and to that I congratulate them. However, this game means so much to our community. We’ve never won a title at Central. We will prepare for a game unlike any other in our programs history.

Oh really? I like that when a team hasn't ever won a title and they make it to the title game. I know the community of Central is excited for this game! I remember back in 2011 when we won our first state title it was the best feeling ever. Sounds to me like this is even a better storyline. If y'all was going against anybody else I would be rooting for y'all but I got to stay on my side for this lol!

ROLL RED ROLL!

I remember the HC/Powell game in 2011 being one of the toughest, most entertaining title games I had ever seen.  They followed that up with another incredible performance in 2013 beating West by a point.  HC definitely has had some special moments in Cookeville and looks to have another team much like those in the past.

Hard to believe with all of Central's tradition that they have never won the title.  From being the oldest program in Knoxville (correct me if wrong) the BIG GAME used to be played between Central and Knoxville High on Thanksgiving day at Shield-Watkins field.  Some great players came out of Central back when General Neyland was roaming the sidelines at UT.  Once the playoff system started, Central was still an above average program as other schools began opening in Knoxville.  When Joel Helton arrived in 1984, he built Central into a local power that was always in the playoffs.  The Bobcats of 1990-91 were some of the most talented teams to ever come out of Knoxville.  Central made the 4A title game in 1999 but came up short. For almost a decade, the Bobcats played Maryville better than anyone at that time yet could never get past the Rebels in the playoffs except for 1999.  Coach Rosser came in to revitalize the program that fell off after Coach Helton's reign.  These Bobcats reached the 4A title game two years ago, again coming up short.  No doubt that will be a valuable experience for Coach Rosser and his team coming into the game this week.  

Edited by CU06

Good Luck Bryson Rosser and Central. Great job defeating Catholic. I don't know anything about Henry County but I am sure they are very good, I remember going to a game there when Coach Gaddis was there and they have a big rowdy bunch of fans and a good team, Central has a good line, and some good skill guys and Bryson is a great play caller, so it should be a very good game,

• CoachT changed the title to 5A Championship - Knox Central vs Henry Co.

I feel like we're in for a 2011-type title game. These teams feel pretty evenly matched. And for as much success as Central had under Joel Helton, it's hard to believe that they've never won a state title.

I knew a number of guys on the team that bested Maryville in '99, but they came up just short in the title game that year. Outside of that season, they always seemed to fall short against the Rebels in the semifinals. I'd love to see the Bobcats finally get a gold ball. Good luck to both teams!

Will this FINALLY be the year the Bobcats make it over the hump and bring the title back to Fountain City? How many years have they been now? I know 1990 against Lincoln Co, 99, 2 years ago, and I am sure I missed 1 or 2 more? Somebody correct me if I am wrong. We (OR) derailed their chances in 1991 in a classic semifinal game for the ages. That title has really been elusive for the Bobcats. I hope they finally get it after all these years. So many great players have come out of that program through the years, Todd Helton and Reggie Cobb just to name a few. Let's go Central!!

1 hour ago, SweetScience said:

Will this FINALLY be the year the Bobcats make it over the hump and bring the title back to Fountain City? How many years have they been now? I know 1990 against Lincoln Co, 99, 2 years ago, and I am sure I missed 1 or 2 more? Somebody correct me if I am wrong. We (OR) derailed their chances in 1991 in a classic semifinal game for the ages. That title has really been elusive for the Bobcats. I hope they finally get it after all these years. So many great players have come out of that program through the years, Todd Helton and Reggie Cobb just to name a few. Let's go Central!!

nah 1990 we made the semis and lost to Lincoln county. we’ve only made it in 1999,2016& now 2018.