5A Championship - Knox Central vs Henry Co.

CU06

3 hours ago, catsfever said:

I'll address some of your musings:

The band - the band director wouldn't allow the whole band to come back.  Funds??  I don't know, but they "allowed" the drumline to come.  Either way - proud of the kids that showed up

How many times can a helmet come off?  Good question - he claimed he was constantly getting pushed in the facemask and no call.  He also lost his temper and got a flag in the 3rd or 4th quarter for that same issue.

The "onside kick".  Nope.....as the kicker approached the ball, it started to fall forward off the tee, but the kicker continued with the kick anyway.  Correct call.

Your "score" in the endzone.  The HC player didn't have control of the ball when he was hit...and landed on the edge of the rear boundary.  Correct call.

Running into the kicker call - I disagreed and thought it should have been roughing the kicker.  But it is what it is.

I was so hoping that Henry Co fans would be able to send Christmas Cards to the head Ref after he only penalized the 5 yards on the "roughing the kicker", we got the best of that call, but it still didnt work out for us in the end. Hats off to Knox Central.

Officiating didnt neat HC, it was a great defensive battle between 2 really good teams. 

2 minutes ago, ParisRiverRat said:

I was so hoping that Henry Co fans would be able to send Christmas Cards to the head Ref after he only penalized the 5 yards on the "roughing the kicker", we got the best of that call, but it still didnt work out for us in the end. Hats off to Knox Central.

Officiating didnt neat HC, it was a great defensive battle between 2 really good teams. 

http://tssaasports.com/event/results.cfm?id=36954 

3 minutes ago, PatriotNation said:

Im brand new to CoachT but thought i would say congrats to Central for a well played game! Great defense was played by both teams with Central making a few more bigger plays! Nothing to be ashamed of if your Henry County it was an amazing year and one we wont forget! 

Welcome aboard and stay awhile. It's fun,  entertaining, informative (at times) irritating and everything in between and you might make a friend or two along the way or meet some haters. 

• Like 1

Congratulations to the Central Bobcats. Huge amount of work put in by the players and coaching staff led by Coach Rosser. Huge shoutout to Coach Craney and that Central Defense. Played outstanding all year and showed up huge yesterday when it really mattered. Held opponents to 10 pts per game, which is top 12 in the state all classifications. Outstanding job. Team fought hard all year and truly deserved the state championship. Coach Rosser did what noone  else did in the previous 112 years of Central Football. Amazing what he's done in his 5 years there. Expect Central to be around for awhile!

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, HCRedPride said:

Does anyone know what Central has returning next year? Is it a very big senior class 

This was a pretty senior loaded team this year. Around 20 of them. There is gonna be a lot of experience leaving with this class. They will return 4 starters on Offense and 5 on defense. Key returners for the Bobcats are QB Fawver, WR/CB Gaston, RB Merritts, OLB Fortner (Championship game MVP), both MLB's Robinson/Bost. Central will reload at the skill positions. Expect a huge senior campaign from QB Dakota Fawver. Upfront however, the Bobcats are losing 4 of 5 starting O-linemen and 4 of top 5 D-linemen. If they can develop some linemen over the offseason I expect them to compete for another Gold Ball. 

3 hours ago, FactsOnly said:

Can someone weigh in on whether and why the ball blown off the tee, but kicked anyway, is a dead ball?  It is already on the ground.  I've read the internet and can't find anything.

Not sure what the TSSAA verbiage is, but the NCAA rule is pretty simple. According to Rule 6, Section 1, Article 2 (Rule 6-1-2-a):

"After the ball is ready for play and for any reason it falls from the tee, Team A shall not kick the ball and the official shall sound his whistle immediately."

35 minutes ago, osunut2 said:

Not sure what the TSSAA verbiage is, but the NCAA rule is pretty simple. According to Rule 6, Section 1, Article 2 (Rule 6-1-2-a):

"After the ball is ready for play and for any reason it falls from the tee, Team A shall not kick the ball and the official shall sound his whistle immediately."

Thanks for that.  I'm sure it is the same for high school.  If not, it should be.

Now that I've had almost a day to process the game, congratulations to Central. Their defense was one of the best I've seen in a while. Henry County had chances to win the game and at the end of the day that's all you can ask for.

Would love to know how Central managed to lose two games even if they were at the beginning of the season.

Although I bleed Henry County colors, I did find a little solace in the fact that Central was going after their first ever title after coming up short a couple times. That first one is sweet!

As a black man sitting on the other side and looking over at another black man in the top also eased the sting of my guys losing. 

It irritates me when some troll on coach t dog whistles about the leadership ability of teams coached by black men and how athletic and undisciplined their teams are. 

Does anyone know the last time a championship game was moved to another day because of weather or any other issue?

19 minutes ago, bottomwriter said:

Would love to know how Central managed to lose two games even if they were at the beginning of the season. 

They couldn't get out of their own way in week 1. Bobcats had a ton of turnovers; four or five to none, I believe, including one at the goal line. The following week, they played a good Fulton team. That one was a bit of a toss up, from what I remember.

It really wasn't until the Halls game at the end of September that Central really started hitting their stride, IMO.

12 hours ago, BigRedRealist said:

There are always Monday morning QB's/coaches that question play calling. I thought HC coaches did exactly what gave HC the best chance to win. In a one possession game, you do what you do best. IMO

Is HC run heavy - absolutely and always has been. Have they passed successfully this year - yep, but they are still a run heavy team. 

I rewatched the game today and noticed that they didnt stop throwing the ball because they were are a run heavy, 1st, or what have you team, and that is what got them there. They quit throwing as much after the 3rd or 4th series of the game in the 2nd qtr when the QB took a hard hit on a sack. It looked like he landed on his arm/shoulder and just was not the same throwing the ball after. HC is always well coached and I knew there was a better explanation than that is what they do and it is what got them there.....lol