Griders 2019 South Pittsburg Pirates

Roy Dillard

40 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

Only 3 classes as well.

And to think Brentwood Academy was classified as Class A.  They are the reason for the split divisions today.  Or they were the beginning of what became the split.

Yeah I played when their were 3 classifications. Had to play at least 1 or 2 private schools in the playoffs every year.

Edited by GHSblackhelmet
punctuation

6 hours ago, orngnblk said:

I really liked it at Vanderbilt,but at home would be way cooler!

MTSU had the best facilities for it. Plus, being the exact center of the state makes it the logical choice. Tech sucks to be honest. The people up there are great and do everything that they can to be accommodating, but the facilities don't compare to MTSU or Vandy. Plus, for the folks in the far left of the state, Cookeville is a long haul.

Can I use "plus" twice in the same post? 

To late now I guess. 

Edited by The Drunken Sailor

Has Pirates found a decent replacement for the big RB from last year? Might need to work on grinding out some wins this year similar to what you guys tried against Whitwell. Saw you guys twice last season and it was apples to oranges how much better you were in 3rd round playing that style of football. I’m just keeping it real 

Edited by TyroneBiggums

15 hours ago, GHSblackhelmet said:

Wow only 8 teams made the playoffs thats crazy

From 1969 through 1972, it was only 4 making the playoffs in three classes.  From 1973 through 1976 it was 8.  Then it was 16 for about 10 years and then 32 through 1992.  After that they went to 5 classes.   Walland was 6 - 3 in the playoffs during 73 to 76 including a state title.  Walland no longer had a high school after that and Alcoa showed up on the scene as a perennial power reeling off Class A titles in 77, 78 and 79.

16 hours ago, Southtowner said:

Walland was stout.  I think they only lasted as a school a few more years after 1974.

What school is Walland folks attending today?  Maryville? 

Edit: @Red Rebels ^ ?

15 hours ago, Gbnation said:

Walland still has an elementary school but the high school kids go to Heritage high school. 

The old field is still there across the road. 

15 hours ago, orngnblk said:

Heritage

15 hours ago, orngnblk said:

Unless the are good football players,Alcoa or Maryville.lol

He asked me! LOL.

Walland was the 1975 A State Champs and they were closed after the 1976 Football Season (1977 Graduates) Heritage opened in the Fall of 1977 when Blount County Schools closed Everett (AAA), Walland (A), and Townsend (A).  Porter High School, which would close in 1979 (1978 Football season), would eventually feed  into Heritage also. In 1979 William Blount opened on the other end of the county and they closed Lanier  and Friendsville. A bunch of Heritage kids were rezoned to WB that came from the Fairview area, and were immediately eligible at WB, even though they played at Heritage. Mostly upcoming Juniors and Sophomores transferred to WB from HHS. 

17 hours ago, GHSblackhelmet said:

Were any of you all around for the 1974 state championship that was held at South Pitt?

17 hours ago, GHSblackhelmet said:

I just thought it was cool that it was actually played at South Pitt.

In 1977 the Single A and Double A championship games were both held at Alcoa High School. It was a double header. Alcoa defeated Lake County and Maryville was runner-up to Milan.