Griders 2019 South Pittsburg Pirates

Roy Dillard

8 hours ago, Southtowner said:

Stevenson AL which is now part of North Jackson would have 20 year olds playing back in the day.

That was a big reason why some on  the Stevenson team looked like grown men. :smile:

No doubt. I member in little league Stevenson was huge when I played, I played against Tana Patrick in little league also against Bridgeport and man that kid was a beast. I remember him dunking the ball in 5th grade, we went to watch jasper play Bridgeport to see who played us for the 5th and 6th grade championship and we walked in the gym and they was warming up and he was dunking 

11 hours ago, Southtowner said:

Stevenson AL which is now part of North Jackson would have 20 year olds playing back in the day.

That was a big reason why some on  the Stevenson team looked like grown men. :smile:

That's how they beat Mark Allison's 1980 Pirate squad in triple overtime down there.  That and the officials.  They ended up getting busted because on of those lineman got his back broken and the doctors turned them in.  Don Grider declined the forfeit telling AHAA that his teams won their games on the field.  That was one of the hardest hitting games I have ever seen the Pirates in.  The only ones that even came close was the 4 games with the Trouser Hosers in the 90s.

Edited by rlh

25 minutes ago, rlh said:

That's how they beat Mark Allison's 1980 Pirate squad in triple overtime down there.  That and the officials.  They ended up getting busted because on of those lineman got his back broken and the doctors turned them in.  Don Grider declined the forfeit telling AHAA that his teams won their games on the field.  That was one of the hardest hitting games I have ever seen the Pirates in.  The only ones that even came close was the 4 games with the Trouser Hosers in the 90s.

Thats crazy!Grown men.lol

15 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

The Whitwell Tigers are the State champions.  That could have been us. What are we doing to make sure it is us this time next year?   Next year starts now!  Get that azz to work!

Hopefully these young Pirates will be tired of eating Tyger flavored crow by the time August rolls around.

22 minutes ago, Southtowner said:

The Whitwell Tigers are the State champions.  That could have been us. What are we doing to make sure it is us this time next year?   Next year starts now!  Get that azz to work!

During our game with Whitwell I had the opportunity to sit among the South Pitt. faithful and their players. Very nice young men, I talked with your QB the most. He is very confident with what you all have returning the next couple of years as he should be. Extremely nice boy. I hope we get to see you all up at Cooper field next year in the 4th round it should be another dandy of a game.

1 hour ago, GHSblackhelmet said:

During our game with Whitwell I had the opportunity to sit among the South Pitt. faithful and their players. Very nice young men, I talked with your QB the most. He is very confident with what you all have returning the next couple of years as he should be. Extremely nice boy. I hope we get to see you all up at Cooper field next year in the 4th round it should be another dandy of a game.

I’ve heard thru the grape vine that SP got the jailhouses best running back and a 6’4 receiver. 

I think today’s Whitwell vs cornersville game was a very good example of where we need to work, and that’s in the trenches with our big boys up front on offense and defense. I think sp’s line will be among the best we’ve seen in a long time with some hard work. Also running behind that line I sure would be interested in seeing what #2 (Dede) is capable of, saw him get a chance in the regular season and thought he looked like he would make an awesome back.