Greeneville Football 2019

SwapNShop

16 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

Cain Ballard was 0-0 as a head coach, worked out well.

i should say I’m a Cody Baugh fan and he has done a solid job at Cherokee, but I Hammonds or Spradlin are more in the mold of Ballard. 3 great but still relatively young coaches 

All three are young and I’m not trying to argue but Baugh is more of the mold of ballard considering Ballard was Baugh’s offensive coordinator and worked under Ballard as quarterbacks coach till Ballard was promoted to head coach in which he promoted Baugh to offensive coordinator, also spradlin and hammonds were/are defensive coordinators and Ballard and Baugh were offensive coordinators

15 minutes ago, Green2green said:

All three are young and I’m not trying to argue but Baugh is more of the mold of ballard considering Ballard was Baugh’s offensive coordinator and worked under Ballard as quarterbacks coach till Ballard was promoted to head coach in which he promoted Baugh to offensive coordinator, also spradlin and hammonds were/are defensive coordinators and Ballard and Baugh were offensive coordinators

We probably agree much more than our writing may indicate. I would like to see all 3 together and Im glad I don't have to make that decision.

52 minutes ago, Green2green said:

Baugh’s first year at Cherokee he was 6-1 before his starting quarterback had a season ending injury and last year he lost his starting quarterback before the season even started due to a basketball injury, and to be fair Greeneville still used some of his offensive schemes when he was an offensive coordinator at Greeneville during most of Ballard’s successful seasons, and also one could ask how anybody else’s records are as a head coach that are within the program right now?  

You're right, but Baugh's been 6-28 since then with a record that's gotten worse each progressive year.  He started out 6-1, then finished that season 0-4.  Then he went 5-5 and missed the playoffs.  Then he went 1-9 this past season.

Every position on the field except for QB has regressed pretty badly at Cherokee since he took over and that's troubling.  More than one coach who faced Cherokee this year told me they couldn't understand why they were so bad, especially on defense.   They had talent, but played soft.  Very, very soft.

Those are harsh words, but I'm not really knocking him.  I think he's a fine QB coach and OC when he has more talent than the other team and great assistant coaches all around him.  But he also left Greeneville and they're coming of back-to-back state championships.

Do you really believe that two former head football coaches, Steve Starnes and Pat Fraley, are going to hand the keys to that dynasty over to a guy who's career's been going in reverse for the past 2 and a half years?

They're either going to promote from within (obvious choice) or try to get some big name (maybe a young college coach or someone with rings from elsewhere--maybe Bryan Rosser from Knox Central) to come in and keep the gold balls coming.  The only thing that will work against them is that the job doesn't pay nearly as well as other elite football schools or even as much as Dobyns-Bennett and Science Hill.

If Baugh wants to come back as OC, he'd probably be welcome, but that would be a big pay cut from what he's making as the head guy at Cherokee and I don't know if he'd want to do it.

26 minutes ago, BlueDevil58 said:

You're right, but Baugh's been 6-28 since then with a record that's gotten worse each progressive year.  He started out 6-1, then finished that season 0-4.  Then he went 5-5 and missed the playoffs.  Then he went 1-9 this past season.

Every position on the field except for QB has regressed pretty badly at Cherokee since he took over and that's troubling.  More than one coach who faced Cherokee this year told me they couldn't understand why they were so bad, especially on defense.   They had talent, but played soft.  Very, very soft.

Those are harsh words, but I'm not really knocking him.  I think he's a fine QB coach and OC when he has more talent than the other team and great assistant coaches all around him.  But he also left Greeneville and they're coming of back-to-back state championships.

Do you really believe that two former head football coaches, Steve Starnes and Pat Fraley, are going to hand the keys to that dynasty over to a guy who's career's been going in reverse for the past 2 and a half years?

They're either going to promote from within (obvious choice) or try to get some big name (maybe a young college coach or someone with rings from elsewhere--maybe Bryan Rosser from Knox Central) to come in and keep the gold balls coming.  The only thing that will work against them is that the job doesn't pay nearly as well as other elite football schools or even as much as Dobyns-Bennett and Science Hill.

If Baugh wants to come back as OC, he'd probably be welcome, but that would be a big pay cut from what he's making as the head guy at Cherokee and I don't know if he'd want to do it.

Now his 2nd year minus them upsetting south Doyle and Tennessee High I will agree is probably an underachieving year but surely we all know by now Cherokee has had pretty good talent but not much depth and surely we can both agree losing your starting quarterback his third year made it really hard to have any success, and as far as you saying he can beat teams if he has better talent, I’m pretty sure any head coach would say that heck even Jeremy Pruitt said that so I guess I would have to agree with you there 

40 minutes ago, noonesfool said:

We probably agree much more than our writing may indicate. I would like to see all 3 together and Im glad I don't have to make that decision.

Now that I will completely agree with you on, my thinking is it would be nice to have a head coach who played for Greeneville cause I might be wrong but has there ever been a head coach at Greeneville that played for Greeneville?

Greeneville has been dominant on both sides of the ball under Ballard and the current staff.  The Foundation they’ve built Is SOLID and will be for years to come.

Just thinking aloud here:  I would like to see all the current coaches keep their same position, especially the defensive coaches.  We talk about offense, but our defense has been a dominating monster.  I would like to see them bring in an offensive guru that can work with the existing coaches.  With the Qualities of teaching, able to develop talent to that next step, keep the discipline and the conditioning work ethic/ winning culture that is already established, and a motivating/encouraging attitude to be the best at everything they do on the field and off, and most importantly Honor GOD and serve their fellow man.

Alcoa, Maryville have been recognized for years for their talent and dominating excellence in football. BIG GREENE has been on the rising trend and will continue.  I believe what we have witnessed at Greeneville the past 10 years is just the beginning of what’s to come and going to be accomplished in the years on the horizon.  

They’ll get the right guy for the job. Greeneville will continue to be a dominating powerhouse in the state of TN regardless of classification!!

Edited by Romansfive8

4 hours ago, Green2green said:

Now that I will completely agree with you on, my thinking is it would be nice to have a head coach who played for Greeneville cause I might be wrong but has there ever been a head coach at Greeneville that played for Greeneville?

Leonard Coffman

Edited by noonesfool

9 hours ago, BigTime1950 said:

Wes Jones. Somebody named Craney also?

Craney played at Greeneville and is the D coordinator for Knox Central.  Was coached by Spradlen and Hammonds when he played for the Devils and helping Greeneville upset Red Bank to make the Devils first ever trip to State in 09

On 1/18/2019 at 2:56 PM, BlueDevil58 said:

Just going by the math you provided he would be 6-18 not 6-28. Still not good but wanted to point that out. 

I feel like the assumption to "promote from within and keep the staff," while thinking nothing will change is a little naive. While I believe it would definitely be in Greeneville's best interest to keep the staff in tact, promoting from within might not be the way to go. 

By promoting from within, there is a great chance that another coach or two will get butt hurt when they are not chosen and will move on, essentially breaking up the staff. I have also heard that there are a couple of coaches that absolutely refuse to coach at Greeneville if a certain assistant gets the position. 

I think with Cody Baugh, you get the best of both worlds. He has the best chance to keep the staff in tact and will provide the offensive leadership needed to keep this train rolling. Also, don't overlook the importance of Head Coaching experience. We have no idea all of the little things that a Head Coach deals with on a daily basis and only experience being a Head Coach can equip you for this.