Greeneville Football 2019

SwapNShop

3 hours ago, GreeneToTheVille said:

I feel like the assumption to "promote from within and keep the staff," while thinking nothing will change is a little naive. While I believe it would definitely be in Greeneville's best interest to keep the staff in tact, promoting from within might not be the way to go. 

By promoting from within, there is a great chance that another coach or two will get butt hurt when they are not chosen and will move on, essentially breaking up the staff. I have also heard that there are a couple of coaches that absolutely refuse to coach at Greeneville if a certain assistant gets the position. 

I think with Cody Baugh, you get the best of both worlds. He has the best chance to keep the staff in tact and will provide the offensive leadership needed to keep this train rolling. Also, don't overlook the importance of Head Coaching experience. We have no idea all of the little things that a Head Coach deals with on a daily basis and only experience being a Head Coach can equip you for this. 

You think the current staff will work for Cody Baugh??????  If they don’t promote from within there will be a lot of fall out!!!! 

2 hours ago, greene4747 said:

You think the current staff will work for Cody Baugh??????  If they don’t promote from within there will be a lot of fall out!!!! 

Hammonds began at Greeneville in 2005, I think.  Spradlen started in 2007, and I’m pretty sure Baugh did then too.  McCurry’s first year.  Pretty sure that is when Ballard came back as OC.  

Baugh and Hammonds both left after 2015 season.  Hammonds was an assistant at Gatlinburg-Pittman. Hammonds came back in 2017.

To me, hiring from within has Spradlen’s name written all over it. Baugh did go out on a limb to be a head coach.  I’m guessing that was Hammonds’ initial plan as well.  Not sure why Hammonds didn’t stay, and Baugh went to a difficult place to win.  

Basically, we don’t really know anything.  All we know is that the Devils staff is strong, and there are 3 popular names. 2 current staff members, and a young coach who is about as close to the current staff as an outsider could get.  Should all be interesting.

13 hours ago, SwapNShop said:

Hammonds began at Greeneville in 2005, I think.  Spradlen started in 2007, and I’m pretty sure Baugh did then too.  McCurry’s first year.  Pretty sure that is when Ballard came back as OC.  

Baugh and Hammonds both left after 2015 season.  Hammonds was an assistant at Gatlinburg-Pittman. Hammonds came back in 2017.

To me, hiring from within has Spradlen’s name written all over it. Baugh did go out on a limb to be a head coach.  I’m guessing that was Hammonds’ initial plan as well.  Not sure why Hammonds didn’t stay, and Baugh went to a difficult place to win.  

Basically, we don’t really know anything.  All we know is that the Devils staff is strong, and there are 3 popular names. 2 current staff members, and a young coach who is about as close to the current staff as an outsider could get.  Should all be interesting.

You are correct.  Hammonds was an my Outside LB coach in 2005 and Spradlen began his coaching career under McCurry in 07 coaching DB's.  Ballard had told my Senior Class he would be back to coach in 07 even before Zeller was fired.

Hammonds left to Coach under his uncle and long time GP head coach Benny Hammonds and was told he would get the Head Coaching Job once he retired. (didn't turn out that way so he came back to be a positions coach at Greeneville even though he use to be the D coordinator during Greeneville's first trip to state).

On 1/20/2019 at 3:15 PM, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Just going by the math you provided he would be 6-18 not 6-28. Still not good but wanted to point that out. 

My bad.  I don't know how I got 28 losses.  Trying to multi-task got me in trouble.

The point stands, though.  Do you hand a 2 time state champion to a favorite son with a Derek Dooley-type record as HC?  12-19 in 3 years, and 6-18 since halfway through his first year?

I just don't see them doing that.  I think they promote from within.  If they do go outside, they hire someone with a lot of success and a name.  Hiring from within might leave a few assistants on staff jealous, but hiring an outsider might royally upset the apple card and alienate them all.

I've heard rumors that Ballard is going to go to Dobyns-Bennett as an assistant now for less responsibility and a big raise.  We'll see if there's any truth to that.

2 hours ago, BlueDevil58 said:

My bad.  I don't know how I got 28 losses.  Trying to multi-task got me in trouble.

The point stands, though.  Do you hand a 2 time state champion to a favorite son with a Derek Dooley-type record as HC?  12-19 in 3 years, and 6-18 since halfway through his first year?

I just don't see them doing that.  I think they promote from within.  If they do go outside, they hire someone with a lot of success and a name.  Hiring from within might leave a few assistants on staff jealous, but hiring an outsider might royally upset the apple card and alienate them all.

I've heard rumors that Ballard is going to go to Dobyns-Bennett as an assistant now for less responsibility and a big raise.  We'll see if there's any truth to that.

Coaches with stellar records all share at least 1 of 2 things.  Really good talent and/ or a great staff. Greeneville has both.  Johnny Painter could be the Head Coach at Greeneville, and they would still win.  They could just hire a name... a lot of “names” are talent chasers who only coach at places with above average talent.  That would be a real fit.  I do agree with hiring from within.  Obviously you must think Baugh has a shot, why else you come on here and constantly throw out a negative record.  An overall record can be misleading, Baugh’s biggest fault would be that he took the Cherokee job in the first place.  

No truth on Ballard going to Kingsport.  If he was going to continue to coach football, he wouldn’t have resigned in the first place.  If he coaches again, it will down the road a few years.

6 hours ago, BlueDevil58 said:

Ballard to go from making it to 5 state championship games in 10 years and winning 4 of them to being an assistant at DB the team he completed embarrassed last year?  Come on Man :rolleyes:.  I don't believe you actually know how much money Caine was making at Greeneville as the Head Coach.  I'm sure he would love to drive from his farm in western Greene Co to DB everyday for a pay cut when the reason he stepped down was to spend more time with his family. 

3 hours ago, Swipes said:

Ballard to go from making it to 5 state championship games in 10 years and winning 4 of them to being an assistant at DB the team he completed embarrassed last year?  Come on Man :rolleyes:.  I don't believe you actually know how much money Caine was making at Greeneville as the Head Coach.  I'm sure he would love to drive from his farm in western Greene Co to DB everyday for a pay cut when the reason he stepped down was to spend more time with his family. 

100 percent agree.For coach to leave what he help build in Greeneville to be a  part of what we have in Kingsport, would be laughable .That said,it's been tried before by a state winning football coach .

14 hours ago, Swipes said:

17 hours ago, SwapNShop said:

Obviously you must think Baugh has a shot, why else you come on here and constantly throw out a negative record.  An overall record can be misleading, Baugh’s biggest fault would be that he took the Cherokee job in the first place.  

No truth on Ballard going to Kingsport.  If he was going to continue to coach football, he wouldn’t have resigned in the first place.  If he coaches again, it will down the road a few years.

First off, I'm not dogging Baugh.  I just think he's been underwhelming in his opportunity at Cherokee.  Mike Sivert was there for over 30 years and finished with a record over .500, consistently won 6+ games, went to the semis a couple of times.  Under Sivert, Cherokee was consistently tough, physical, and hard to beat even in a down year.  It's not like Baugh took a job at North Greene or Volunteer or some other football black hole that didn't have the ability to compete.

I'm just pointing out that since Baugh took over at Cherokee, they've underachieved even as the whole conference has been a little down.  They have committed the cardinal sin in football: they've gotten soft.  Basically, every position on that team except for QBs and maybe WRs has regressed and they've only won 6 games in the last 2.5 years.  He's got connections at Greeneville and is a good coach, but do you want to hand a championship program to that guy?

As for Ballard, I actually do know what he was making at Greeneville as Head Coach ($7300/yr on top of his teaching salary) and I know what Kingsport would pay for him to be an assistant there ($5300/yr on top of a teaching salary that would increase by about $14k over what Greeneville paid him).  So if Ballard were to go to Dobyns-Bennett, he would be making at least an extra $1,000 a month with cheaper insurance and a lot fewer headaches/more time to spend with his family.

Head coach is a big job, especially to keep things moving on a championship level and do all the stuff that's expected of a championship coach in a place like Greeneville.  I don't think you realize how much of a grind that was for Ballard and if you knew many head coaches, you'd realize how many of them would gladly trade the title and responsibility for a raise and less stress.  Now that his son has graduated and he's accomplished everything he could ever want to accomplish there, it's not as crazy as you might think.

Again, I'm not saying he's definitely going to Kingsport, just that I've heard there've been feelers sent out.  Kingsport has always liked to lure successful NETN/SWVA head coaches away and they've done it several times in the past.

25 minutes ago, BlueDevil58 said:

First off, I'm not dogging Baugh.  I just think he's been underwhelming in his opportunity at Cherokee.  Mike Sivert was there for over 30 years and finished with a record over .500, consistently won 6+ games, went to the semis a couple of times.  Under Sivert, Cherokee was consistently tough, physical, and hard to beat even in a down year. 

Ballard will sit back and travel to watch Cade play for the next 4 years.  No way he gets back into the grind of coaching before that.

To underachieve, that means you are better than your opponent? Correct? Reading your post made me go back and look at the past seasons on Coacht. 

It’s hard to find teams that Cherokee beat that they were supposed too.  Volunteer is about it. Sullivan Central in 2016.  It’s hard to find games that they lost, that they shouldn’t have lost. According to the websites records, Cherokee is traditionally really bad for having obvious talent cycles.  Winning record, .500 season, bad record on a consistent cycle.  

41 minutes ago, BlueDevil58 said:

First off, I'm not dogging Baugh.  I just think he's been underwhelming in his opportunity at Cherokee.  Mike Sivert was there for over 30 years and finished with a record over .500, consistently won 6+ games, went to the semis a couple of times.  Under Sivert, Cherokee was consistently tough, physical, and hard to beat even in a down year.  It's not like Baugh took a job at North Greene or Volunteer or some other football black hole that didn't have the ability to compete.

I'm just pointing out that since Baugh took over at Cherokee, they've underachieved even as the whole conference has been a little down.  They have committed the cardinal sin in football: they've gotten soft.  Basically, every position on that team except for QBs and maybe WRs has regressed and they've only won 6 games in the last 2.5 years.  He's got connections at Greeneville and is a good coach, but do you want to hand a championship program to that guy?

As for Ballard, I actually do know what he was making at Greeneville as Head Coach ($7300/yr on top of his teaching salary) and I know what Kingsport would pay for him to be an assistant there ($5300/yr on top of a teaching salary that would increase by about $14k over what Greeneville paid him).  So if Ballard were to go to Dobyns-Bennett, he would be making at least an extra $1,000 a month with cheaper insurance and a lot fewer headaches/more time to spend with his family.

Head coach is a big job, especially to keep things moving on a championship level and do all the stuff that's expected of a championship coach in a place like Greeneville.  I don't think you realize how much of a grind that was for Ballard and if you knew many head coaches, you'd realize how many of them would gladly trade the title and responsibility for a raise and less stress.  Now that his son has graduated and he's accomplished everything he could ever want to accomplish there, it's not as crazy as you might think.

Again, I'm not saying he's definitely going to Kingsport, just that I've heard there've been feelers sent out.  Kingsport has always liked to lure successful NETN/SWVA head coaches away and they've done it several times in the past.

As a former assistant coach at the high school level i know exactly what kind of Grind that goes into coaching for pennies on the dollar in most cases.  A couple of things you have forgot to factor in when it comes to Pay that Ballard was making is the fact he is also the assistant AD on top of Booster/Donor Money from some deep pockets in Greeneville.  Him being an assistant coach is not going to free up time to go watch Cade play football at Army when he is coaching late on Friday Nights and having to Travel to NY for home games or wherever else Army travels that week and then be back for Film Study on Sundays.  Not to mention him giving up a farm his wife's family has owned for year's, his wife job being at one of those deep pocket donors, or traveling to Kingsport everyday to coach and missing out on his 2 twin daughters as they play sports also.  After Cade Graduates Army this might be a different conversation 

11 minutes ago, SwapNShop said:

Ballard will sit back and travel to watch Cade play for the next 4 years.  No way he gets back into the grind of coaching before that.

To underachieve, that means you are better than your opponent? Correct? Reading your post made me go back and look at the past seasons on Coacht. 

It’s hard to find teams that Cherokee beat that they were supposed too.  Volunteer is about it. Sullivan Central in 2016.  It’s hard to find games that they lost, that they shouldn’t have lost. According to the websites records, Cherokee is traditionally really bad for having obvious talent cycles.  Winning record, .500 season, bad record on a consistent cycle.  

You really need to take the blinders off and stop looking at strictly a record, cause from what I can tell you’ve followed Cherokee somewhat and if you have you would know that their starting quarterback went down before the season and since it’s high school football we all know losing your quarterback can be crippling.

The main reason I think losing their quarterback hurt them real bad was cause I remember them scrimmaging Halls during the preseason and they beat Halls abysmally on both offense and defense