Style vs. Substance

blazer1set

31 minutes ago, zoneread56 said:

Would you agree though that 6A was the weakest it’s been in a long time?

Are you trying to get me to agree that Oakland won the State Championship because 6A was weak, not because they’re a good football team??

I completely disagree with that! Nobody else completely handled Whitehaven or Maryville like they did the past 2 weeks. 

I think, as in all years in high school football, it’s top heavy. As in the top 10-12 teams are better than all the others. Some years, those 10-12 are pretty equal. Other years, you get what happened the past couple of weeks. 

Definitely, just my opinion. 

Edited by AlwaysAPatriot

4 hours ago, AlwaysAPatriot said:

Are you trying to get me to agree that Oakland won the State Championship because 6A was weak, not because they’re a good football team??

I completely disagree with that! Nobody else completely handled Whitehaven or Maryville like they did the past 2 weeks. 

I think, as in all years in high school football, it’s top heavy. As in the top 10-12 teams are better than all the others. Some years, those 10-12 are pretty equal. Other years, you get what happened the past couple of weeks. 

Definitely, just my opinion. 

6A was not weak at all, Oakland was just that good!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kevin38 said:

6A was not weak at all, Oakland was just that good!

27 minutes ago, zoneread56 said:

All I’m saying is compared to say 2011-2016 6A was down a little. I mean during that time there were so many elite level teams in 6A, this yr there was really Just Oakland 

"This yr there was really just Oakland" bc after Oakland got beat by Mairvul in late Aug or whenever, they were a different team, especially in the playoffs when it really mattered. Their 'D' in the playoffs was one of the best, if not the best that I have ever seen in TN HS football. Mairvul couldn't even cross midfield at any meaningful point in the game and Da Haven couldn't even get a first down. What changed from the previous 14 weeks with these 2 great team's offenses??? They played a team with an excellent kicking game/special teams that didn't allow return yardage and then had to ATTEMPT to drive the length of the field against an elite defense that dominated the line of scrimmage, flew like madmen to the ball when you did complete a pass to the flats, didn't give up big plays to your 2nd, 3rd and 4th options in the pass game bc your "#1" receiver was almost completely taken out of the gameplan. When you shut out Mairvul AND Whitehaven back to back in the semis and championship game, YOU'RE AUTOMATICALLY IN THE CONVERSATION OF BEST TN HS DEFENSES EVER!!!...And I'm not an Oakland Fan. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, FargoStrut said:

"This yr there was really just Oakland" bc after Oakland got beat by Mairvul in late Aug or whenever, they were a different team, especially in the playoffs when it really mattered. Their 'D' in the playoffs was one of the best, if not the best that I have ever seen in TN HS football. Mairvul couldn't even cross midfield at any meaningful point in the game and Da Haven couldn't even get a first down. What changed from the previous 14 weeks with these 2 great team's offenses??? They played a team with an excellent kicking game/special teams that didn't allow return yardage and then had to ATTEMPT to drive the length of the field against an elite defense that dominated the line of scrimmage, flew like madmen to the ball when you did complete a pass to the flats, didn't give up big plays to your 2nd, 3rd and 4th options in the pass game bc your "#1" receiver was almost completely taken out of the gameplan. When you shut out Mairvul AND Whitehaven back to back in the semis and championship game, YOU'RE AUTOMATICALLY IN THE CONVERSATION OF BEST TN HS DEFENSES EVER!!!...And I'm not an Oakland Fan. 

This defense was no where close to being one of best ever. Their 2016 defense was a lot better and played better teams. I don’t really wanna keep going back on forth on this board bc it’s mainly Oakland fans who have severe biases. I just call it as it is 

1 hour ago, zoneread56 said:

This defense was no where close to being one of best ever. Their 2016 defense was a lot better and played better teams. I don’t really wanna keep going back on forth on this board bc it’s mainly Oakland fans who have severe biases. I just call it as it is 

You call it ‘as your opinion’, not ‘as it is’. And your opinion is waaaaaaay off in several instances. 

Several non-Oakland folks here disagreeing with your ‘opinions’, as well. 

You have some type of ‘bias’ against this Oakland team would be a more accurate statement. 

15 minutes ago, AlwaysAPatriot said:

You call it ‘as your opinion’, not ‘as it is’. And your opinion is waaaaaaay off in several instances. 

Several non-Oakland folks here disagreeing with your ‘opinions’, as well. 

You have some type of ‘bias’ against this Oakland team would be a more accurate statement. 

i really do not have a bias against oakland lol i live in ruth co. oakland is a good team and should be happy they won. but if you are gonna sit here and tell me 6a was strong this yr then you are playing yourself. oakland has had several teams itself recently better than this yrs past team and they did not even win state. the reason you are defending oakland so hard is bc you are probably an oakland dad lol. the reason most people disagree with me is bc many folks do not get out and watch a lot of high level ball. you seem knowledgable but we are gonna have to agree to disagree

5 hours ago, zoneread56 said:

i really do not have a bias against oakland lol i live in ruth co. oakland is a good team and should be happy they won. but if you are gonna sit here and tell me 6a was strong this yr then you are playing yourself. oakland has had several teams itself recently better than this yrs past team and they did not even win state. the reason you are defending oakland so hard is bc you are probably an oakland dad lol. the reason most people disagree with me is bc many folks do not get out and watch a lot of high level ball. you seem knowledgable but we are gonna have to agree to disagree

Your original argument was that Oakland would get thrashed by an up-tempo offense. Not one time did I ever say this team was one of the best ever or anything of that sort. My entire original point was that they beat the teams in front of them to win a championship. The ONLY reason I even responded to you was because you’re one of those ‘imaginary football league’ people who is trying to downplay what these guys accomplished by coming up with scenarios that you ‘think’ they couldn’t have won. Your arguments have changed several times throughout the course of this entire thread, but, originally, you were trying to get folks on here to agree that they couldn’t beat this team or that team, when they beat who they played en route to Cookeville. They DID dominate in the playoffs and if you want to say that’s because 6A was down, not because they are actually THAT good, then you’re correct. We will have to agree to disagree. Most folks don’t agree with your assessment. Saying that I don’t see the rest of the state play when you have NO IDEA who I am is pretty shortsighted. You would be shocked at how many 5A and 6A teams I’ve seen play in person or on film. Would be willing to wager that it’s a LOT more than you have. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, AlwaysAPatriot said:

Your original argument was that Oakland would get thrashed by an up-tempo offense. Not one time did I ever say this team was one of the best ever or anything of that sort. My entire original point was that they beat the teams in front of them to win a championship. The ONLY reason I even responded to you was because you’re one of those ‘imaginary football league’ people who is trying to downplay what these guys accomplished by coming up with scenarios that you ‘think’ they couldn’t have won. Your arguments have changed several times throughout the course of this entire thread, but, originally, you were trying to get folks on here to agree that they couldn’t beat this team or that team, when they beat who they played en route to Cookeville. They DID dominate in the playoffs and if you want to say that’s because 6A was down, not because they are actually THAT good, then you’re correct. We will have to agree to disagree. Most folks don’t agree with your assessment. Saying that I don’t see the rest of the state play when you have NO IDEA who I am is pretty shortsighted. You would be shocked at how many 5A and 6A teams I’ve seen play in person or on film. Would be willing to wager that it’s a LOT more than you have. 

lol man think what you want

On 12/1/2018 at 10:54 PM, zoneread56 said:

Lol man lol. I bet you thought the same against maryville in 2015,2017 and whitehaven in 2016. It doesn’t work except when teams have a lesser dline. Oakland literally plays cover 3 and 1 all game. Try that vs a qb that can throw and a good Oline it’s lights out 

Do you know that Cov. 1 is played on about 60% of all NFL snaps now and has been for a while?  I think those QBs can throw and those OLs are pretty good.   As teams run more RPOs, defenses run a lot more Cov. 1 so zone defenders aren't pulled out of position.