Style vs. Substance

blazer1set

1 hour ago, zoneread56 said:

the spread is the best way to go now in high school football. it allows teams with smaller oline and dominant skill players to really shine. however, when you combine a great oline with good skill players in the spread its unstoppable. the wing t also now does not prepare players for college offenses. i think oakland got away with winning state this yr bc maryville and whitehaven both did not have the talent as yrs past on the dline. problem with the wing t is if you get it down by 14 it is very hard to come back bc the lack of throwing and how it can be negated by a discipline and good dline. the spread however is a whole different story bc you can make it as complicated or as simple as you want to especially going fast tempo on offense. the spread has many different types air raid, spread option, run and shoot, pro style spread, etc. all these allow teams to have much more of a chance to have success  and get players out to play. the problem in TN is there have been only a few teams who have ever ran a true spread offense and dominated due to lack of athletes compared to other states

But everything you just wrote can apply to Wing-T, Single Wing, or option, too.  You can run spread sets and throw the ball in the Wing-T or anything else, too.

I don't think it's possible to scheme around having a bad OL.  I see teams think "we'll just run spread and then we don't need to block anybody!"  I don't think I've ever seen that work.  When teams try to do that, you get Sullivan Central or Union County before Kerr took over and started going under center and running the ball.  I'm talking years without winning a single game, being a joke to every team on the schedule.

There is nothing more demoralizing to your own football team than trying to run a spread offense with no QB.  All you do then is turn the ball over, have bad shotgun snaps, or keep stopping the clock with incomplete passes because the only choice is to run the ball at 7 in the box from 4 wide.  Bad teams used to get beat 35-14.  Now they get embarrassed 70-06 every week because they're spreading the field.  All it takes is 1 or 2 games like that to ruin football for a school for years.

As far as preparing players for college offenses, that's the college coaches' job.  That's no different than NFL coaches whining about how spread offenses don't prepare players for their level.  Since when did the possible success of 1-2 kids on the team a few years down the road matter more than the success of them all this season?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DillonPanthers1 said:

Great defense, great ground game (veer,wing t, iform, single wing ect.), enough passing to keep teams honest outside , great weight room,great character guys,  great parents, great administration, community buy in = Championship or close to it each year....

IE: Oakland

STICK THAT IN YOUR SPREAD!

MOJO

Lol you are ignorant bc you don’t understand any football concepts at all. If Oakland played any team that would tempo tf out of them and spread them sideline to sideline and had a good qb they wouldn’t win

54 minutes ago, BlueDevil58 said:

But everything you just wrote can apply to Wing-T, Single Wing, or option, too.  You can run spread sets and throw the ball in the Wing-T or anything else, too.

I don't think it's possible to scheme around having a bad OL.  I see teams think "we'll just run spread and then we don't need to block anybody!"  I don't think I've ever seen that work.  When teams try to do that, you get Sullivan Central or Union County before Kerr took over and started going under center and running the ball.  I'm talking years without winning a single game, being a joke to every team on the schedule.

There is nothing more demoralizing to your own football team than trying to run a spread offense with no QB.  All you do then is turn the ball over, have bad shotgun snaps, or keep stopping the clock with incomplete passes because the only choice is to run the ball at 7 in the box from 4 wide.  Bad teams used to get beat 35-14.  Now they get embarrassed 70-06 every week because they're spreading the field.  All it takes is 1 or 2 games like that to ruin football for a school for years.

As far as preparing players for college offenses, that's the college coaches' job.  That's no different than NFL coaches whining about how spread offenses don't prepare players for their level.  Since when did the possible success of 1-2 kids on the team a few years down the road matter more than the success of them all this season?

The spread is the equalizer bc a team is not gonna line up and ground a pound a team like Alcoa and Oakland or maryville. That has been proven over and over to not work

4 hours ago, zoneread56 said:

Lol you are ignorant bc you don’t understand any football concepts at all. If Oakland played any team that would tempo tf out of them and spread them sideline to sideline and had a good qb they wouldn’t win

Good luck with that genius... I promise you that the short pass would be taken away immediately by the Pats and there would be no time for the deep ball with the Oakland pass rush in ANY QBs face. Gotta have time little buddy. That "concept" right there would dismantle your spread... Do you want me to go down the names on the roster as to why it would happen this way? I have forgotten more football than you know... And the rings to prove it. Please don't be so simple and ignorant.

MOJO

Edited by DillonPanthers1

5 hours ago, zoneread56 said:

Tempo tf out of them?.....Oakland's defense would smash them into repeated 3 and outs wearing their opponents defense out by the 3rd qtr and then having their way with them, pretty much what they have been doing to everybody, and your calling people ignorant.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kevin38 said:

Tempo tf out of them?.....Oakland's defense would smash them into repeated 3 and outs wearing their opponents defense out by the 3rd qtr and then having their way with them, pretty much what they have been doing to everybody, and your calling people ignorant.....

how would you know? no one has done it to them.. keep watching your mediocre football bubble with 1970s concepts. kinda had to "smash" them into 3 and outs if your tongue is dragging

3 hours ago, DillonPanthers1 said:

Good luck with that genius... I promise you that the short pass would be taken away immediately by the Pats and there would be no time for the deep ball with the Oakland pass rush in ANY QBs face. Gotta have time little buddy. That "concept" right there would dismantle your spread... Do you want me to go down the names on the roster as to why it would happen this way? I have forgotten more football than you know... And the rings to prove it. Please don't be so simple and ignorant.

MOJO

riddle me this: has anyone all yr tempoed oakland at all? you act like oaklands dline is so almighty.. a good oline with tempo mixed in would break the  pass rush after a few drives

8 minutes ago, zoneread56 said:

how would you know? no one has done it to them.. keep watching your mediocre football bubble with 1970s concepts. kinda had to "smash" them into 3 and outs if your tongue is dragging

riddle me this: has anyone all yr tempoed oakland at all? you act like oaklands dline is so almighty.. a good oline with tempo mixed in would break the  pass rush after a few drives

Well Oakland has about 4-5 DL that will play at the FBS/FCs level, so yeah they're pretty good

• Like 1

Oakland would defeat any offense they faced regardless of the system. I honestly think Oakland would have crushed CPA, BA, MBA or anyone else to mention. Jimmys and Joes mean a lot more in the system than the system itself . A lot of people just like the show of spread offense, but as a defensive guy a well oiled and multiple formation Wing T team is pretty difficult to deal with. its hard to prepare for midline, veer, sally, Criss cross as well as the pass game in one week than the more common spread offense. Deception is the DEVIL in HS football.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DarkKnight4 said:

Oakland would defeat any offense they faced regardless of the system. I honestly think Oakland would have crushed CPA, BA, MBA or anyone else to mention. Jimmys and Joes mean a lot more in the system than the system itself . A lot of people just like the show of spread offense, but as a defensive guy a well oiled and multiple formation Wing T team is pretty difficult to deal with. its hard to prepare for midline, veer, sally, Criss cross as well as the pass game in one week than the more common spread offense. Deception is the DEVIL in HS football.

The only reason people are all of a sudden loving the wing t is bc of one win. No one was saying this when Creasy choked in 2015,2016,2017, to teams with less coaching and at times less athletes. All bc he was h*ll bent on running his stupid wing T and has no pass game. What was the offense that they ran on him oh that’s right the spread. There is no “show” to the spread bc it just works plain and simple. If you have no deep understanding of how a team is trying to get matchups, succession play calling, rpos, etc, then yes the spread looks unorganized and a “show” but I’ll take it against that outdated wing T any day. There is a reason it’s not ran by any good teams in college and especially pros LOL

3 hours ago, zoneread56 said:

The only reason people are all of a sudden loving the wing t is bc of one win. No one was saying this when Creasy choked in 2015,2016,2017, to teams with less coaching and at times less athletes. All bc he was h*ll bent on running his stupid wing T and has no pass game. What was the offense that they ran on him oh that’s right the spread. There is no “show” to the spread bc it just works plain and simple. If you have no deep understanding of how a team is trying to get matchups, succession play calling, rpos, etc, then yes the spread looks unorganized and a “show” but I’ll take it against that outdated wing T any day. There is a reason it’s not ran by any good teams in college and especially pros LOL

There is a lot to love about how Oakland uses their offense, first off labeling Oakland as a team that just sticks to the Wing-T is painting then with a broad brush. They use the Wing-T pretty effectively when they do throw the ball, spreading you out and letting their athletes make plays. When the run it, they're bringing more people to the party than you are. 

You could argue that mistakes were made in years past with offense in big games. By the same token, a lesson was clearly learned from those games. Oakland no problem moving the  ball against Whitehaven, regardless of field position. Using the word choked when playing Maryville and Whitehaven is a bit much. 

We can debate and argue all day if there is a team or offense capable of making Oakland's defense look bad. What history will show is that they dominated the teams in front of them and got revenge on the one team they lost to early in the season