Brentwood Academy vs Whitehaven 2019

zoneread56

10 hours ago, kwc said:

No reason at all. And before anyone tries to insinuate otherwise, the BA loss to McCallie, does not, in any way, shape, form, or fashion, reduce the expectency, of this game. I don't want to read that garbage.

Anyway ... BGIM 3. I gotta go grade papers. brb.

I'm with you on that lol

I will stop taking shots at BHS but I don’t understand the stuff he post sometimes — teams likes these  ?????

You guys may very well come into Brentwood and out play BA but I don’t think it will be easy. You are coming into a place with 14 state championships and a long history going back 50 years. The kids play hard and play the game the right way with respect and hard work.

I will be straight up with you guys. If you come in here undisciplined and thinking that way — we should run all over ‘teams like these ‘ you will leave here with a loss and your tail between your legs on that long ride back to Memphis. If you play well / like you did last week you can have a different outcome but you will not roll all over BA - you do not have enough firepower to run all over our defense or keep us off the board.

Of the last 3 classes going to the NFL from the state of TN- BA has a third of the kids and would have had more had one not been cut and is playing pro ball elsewhere. There will be multiple players on the next  level from college come out this year and next as well. More than likely BA will produce over a third of our states pro players if you add up the period from 2016-2021.

This game has a potential if done right to help the entire state get behind more rivalries and teach the kids something very valuable in return. Each year I think the top 6a teams should play the top Privates — Maryville to Ensworth- Oakland to McCallie- Whithaven to BA - home and home .

These games , especially this one between WH and BA continue to reinforce in our kids something many of them already know - that when you step on the field we are all colorblind and it does not matter if a rich kid goes home in a Range Rover or a middle class kid goes home on a bike as many of us did on this board. 

We are all brothers in the end. And sports over any other venue we have should teach these lessons to our kids and especially to the parents that sit in the stands who have never once stepped onto a football field to play the game.

i know there is incredible respect by the coaching staffs of what each has accomplished and I do hope BA comes to WH next year and many years to come because it’s more than football as we know.

We still have a lot of work to do and healing to do on both sides of the ball of life - black and white and when teams like Pearl Cohn can knock off MBA in a given year it helps to fuel something  that most people can’t always understand - it’s just another game to them. Or people get so self absorbed in what’s in it for me or my team they fail to see the big picture.

Those games are about community - school pride and a sense of inclusion, contribution and achievement.

I was at that game toward the end and the best part was when I saw some of the MBA players come over and congratulate some of the PC players after the game. 

This will not be one of those games as WH is a TN football powerhouse not playing the David and Goliath role but I do think it is needed on many levels and unfortunately as in many cases this opportunity will be lost on deaf ears.  Or maybe it’s just ignorance sometimes or people are just doing the best that they can. 

These types of things flourish and have staying power when we as a group of fans express our interests to keep them going. But they need to have purpose and take on a deeper meaning to do so. Unfortunately I can image many people in the stands on Friday night will not know or care much about WH, it’s school , it’s mission and how many kids leave there / academic and athletic and move on to do amazing things in the world . And I imagine I can say some of the same things regarding stereotypes of people who will be traveling here from West Tennessee as well.  And people unfortunately will leave Brentwood only learning who is the better football team Friday night. And that’s our fault - all of us.

“ Teams like these  “ ????? BHS I love ya man but this game will be just another game in a busy schedule if we all think this way. And trust me it will be just that I am afraid. Off my rant and on to the game.

BA is young this year but has 12 or more players who should play on Saturdays. The starting safeties are hurt so that has put pressure on 2 ways and the defensive line is all new but there are pieces there to make another run at States this year.

I do not know how BA will respond to how physical WH is this year on the Defensive side of the ball but they can mix it up and are tough and pretty big upfront on the O line. So only time will tell 

Edited by baylorbigdog1976

First post on the T in a good bit. After watching the BA game on Friday vs mccallie, I have to say Ba is severely out manned up front on dline. They do not have the front to run a 3-4 Like in years past so if a team likes to ground and pound then they can have success like mccallie did. The BA d coordinator seems to be stuck in his ways because even on those great teams from 2015-2017 BA was having to score 35-40+ a game at times to win. Now, even though BA still has athletes on offense, it’s not nearly the same as in the past especially at the WR position group, so it’s gonna have to make the D play better defense whereas in years past they could just get 2-3 stops and win the game on just offense. That being said BA still has the advantage on DaHaven imo Bc of how disciplined they are and their execution on O. If whitehaven can come out and stay in the game up to half and into the 3rd it could get interesting to see how it plays out. Should be a good game and good atmosphere!

1 hour ago, zoneread56 said:

That being said BA still has the advantage on DaHaven imo Bc of how disciplined they are and their execution on O. If whitehaven can come out and stay in the game up to half and into the 3rd it could get interesting to see how it plays out. Should be a good game and good atmosphere!

There we go! BA's inferred superiority due to discipline and execution alone. My, how refreshing.  This could get interesting indeed!

LOL@ if WH can stay in the game. Good one. THAT made me laugh.

This is going to be a fun week.

Edited by kwc

1 hour ago, zoneread56 said:

First post on the T in a good bit. After watching the BA game on Friday vs mccallie, I have to say Ba is severely out manned up front on dline. They do not have the front to run a 3-4 Like in years past so if a team likes to ground and pound then they can have success like mccallie did. The BA d coordinator seems to be stuck in his ways because even on those great teams from 2015-2017 BA was having to score 35-40+ a game at times to win. Now, even though BA still has athletes on offense, it’s not nearly the same as in the past especially at the WR position group, so it’s gonna have to make the D play better defense whereas in years past they could just get 2-3 stops and win the game on just offense. That being said BA still has the advantage on DaHaven imo Bc of how disciplined they are and their execution on O. If whitehaven can come out and stay in the game up to half and into the 3rd it could get interesting to see how it plays out. Should be a good game and good atmosphere!

If BA starts the way they have all year in the first half then it’s more than probable WH will jump out on top. If they crank it up like they have in the second half early then we shall see.

13 minutes ago, kwc said:

There we go! BA's inferred superiority due to discipline and execution alone. My, how refreshing.  This could get interesting indeed!

KWC if whitehaven plays like they did against Ridgeway- ZR is right. BA is not a team that will stick to something if it is not working .

Not like NLR or the Clearwater Catholic Team BA played. They continued to run the ball over and over and over  again.

WH will have everything and the kitchen sink thrown at them - doesn’t mean you guys can’t absorb it but it’s how the game will go. I know your QB can also pass the ball. That alone will make the game more interesting.

i don’t think you guys are a track race team - Ridgeway showed me this but I think you have a heck of a defense and if you can shut down BAs offense and score in the 20’s I for one think you guys can win.

i May be completely off target and maybe it’s a track meet but I Just don’t see that type of game - not as 48-45 type 

i could see a 17- 7 or 21-10 score before I see the other.

10 minutes ago, baylorbigdog1976 said:

If BA starts the way they have all year in the first half then it’s more than probable WH will jump out on top. If they crank it up like they have in the second half early then we shall see.

You think this game is up to how BA starts the game? As if the opposing team has no say in the matter?

Oh, it doesn't get any sweeter then this right here!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, kwc said:

Games with teams from memphis usually go one of two ways my man: the other team gets up by 14+ and the whole cookie crumbles due to in fighting and lack of discipline, or its a hard fought game to the wire. I see this one as more of the second option due to saulsberry being a good coach. You trying to find beef where there is none lol