Tellico Plains High Lady Bears Basketball

pitner

Lady Bears undefeated with wins over Wartburg, Oliver Springs, Loudon, Polk County, Sweetwater,and Sequoyah.  Deeper and more experienced than last years squad that lost to Unaka in sectional. If young freshman talent gains experience and learns from   older players they may be a team to watch come tourney time.

Just a question, why don't Tellico play McMinn Central or Meigs? Local teams, would be great revenue for both schools and would be very competitive games. Tellico has a good team but the teams listed above aren't very good with a combined record of 10-20 they aren't getting tested nightly. That's what got them last year. Soft scheduling until sectionals to get Ws didn't prepare them for post play. Maybe the best team that has ever been at Tellico with the freshman they have but not challenging the team is a disservice the coach is doing to them. Just a real shame the Central and Meigs games don't get played. Think of the fans, both are really close both would be great games. Other sports get the matchup. Why not let them play?????

Yes curious! Meigs and McMinn Central are the premier AA schools in your area so why play Polk, Loudon, Sweetwater and Seq. but not the the other 2 the problem can't be logistics! What a great opportunity for the young ladies on all these teams since most already play on a couple of the same AAU teams! Tellico could be very competitive with both so someone is doing them an injustice by not scheduling a home and home! 

Tellico and Meigs did play, I think from 2011 till last year, I think it was a little lopsided Meigs going 12-2 in that span. they were in the same district for years before that. but I do agree Tellico has a good team this year and has a good chance to go to state in 1A this year. I saw Unaka play a couple weeks ago and they are not very good this year, but I did see where Oneida lost to Clarkrang by 8 and Clarkrang is very good. I hope playing a week schedule doesn’t hurt them come tournament time, I hope they go all the way.

6 hours ago, Indian said:

Why play a team that takes their players? 

Thank You! You seem to have info most are not privy to so please explain which player Meigs or McMinn Central took from Tellico! And please explain why a young lady and her family would decide to make this move! Since this obviously does not ever happen anywhere else! 

So you lost a player so what. Does that mean you hide from now on. That just don't make sense. I'm pretty sure there are kids at every school that aren't zoned for that school. It happens every day. It's funny though if 30 wins over bad teams make you feel better so be it but that 1 loss every year ends your season tells me that your coach isn't preparing your team for post season. I'm sure you're sub-state opponents appreciate it. 

• Like 1

What makes people think it was Tellico that didn't want to schedule Meigs or Central this year?  I don't know but I'm curious if anyone else knows it was Tellico that didn't schedule them, or was it Meigs and Central who didn't schedule Tellico?  No speculation please - just facts.
I haven't heard of anyone from Tellico (or Monroe County) playing for McMinn Central this year, but let's not act like McMinn Central hasn't "encouraged" young ladies from there - and Athens - to come to Central for over a decade.

As mentioned in previous posts. payers going from one school to another within their county happens, but when a coach from one county ( or an AAu handler) spends more time at a different county's junior high schools and does in fact get a player to come to their school,  that is , while not illegal,  pretty unethical.  I am glad , however, that it turned out great for the young lady who did what she and her family thought was best for her.  It has happened and as recently as last year  another player from Tellico was encouraged  to do the same thing.  That's why we don't schedule Central.

As for last year Tellico played most of the post season without their second leading scorer until she cut a cast off to play in the Unaka game where she was, as expected, not near 100 percent. 

As mentioned in earlier posts Tellico and Meigs played for years but not in recent years  this happens all the time and no one has ever accused anyone of ducking someone else. Must be a touchy subject for some.

My original post was meant to give Tellico the same pr that other schools with similar records were getting for no real reason as it pertains to state rankings in class A. This early in the season (7 games) really no one has played that tough a schedule so early rankings are meaningless. That will change for some I realize.  I guess we should be penalized for playing in a weak district. Would that make you happy?  I will continue to post about Tellico Basketball in a positive way and would hope you would simply do the same for your school without turning to sniping about someone else. Stay positive and have  a great season!

I am sure that the decisions for Tellico not to schedule Meigs and Central or visa versa were made by adults! The bottom line Tellico has a really good team! Russell is the best player in the area and they also have a great freshman group! Tellico could compete with both schools and in my opinion beat both on any given night! Its a shame that petty decisions made by adults can take away from experiences of the kids! Logistically these 3 schools should always play! Great for the players and the fans! Hopefully it will happen next year! 

• Like 1