TN Coach's Poll for 3 December

ArtusCimber

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:25 PM, ArtusCimber said:

Let the diatribes begin...

TENNESSEE HIGH SCHOOL WRESTLING POLL

From: Jeff Price                                                               Results from: 12/3/18

THIS IS THE FIRST POLL OF THE SEASON. 

Now in its 27th year, The Poll is primarily a measure of dual meet strength with some consideration to individual tournament strength.   Votes are cast by a state-wide panel of high school wrestling coaches and are based on a maximum Power Ranking of 100%.

STATE POLL:

RANK

SCHOOL

POWER

RANKING

LAST WEEK

CLEVELAND

N/A

BAYLOR

N/A

CHRISTIAN BROTHERS

N/A

MCCALLIE

N/A

BRADLEY CENTRAL

N/A

WILSON CENTRAL

N/A

BLACKMAN

N/A

FATHER RYAN

N/A

BRENTWOOD

N/A

SCIENCE HILL

N/A

ARLINGTON

N/A

BEECH

N/A

Others receiving votes:  CENTENNIAL, INDEPENDENCE, JEFFERSON COUNTY, OAKLAND, ROSSVIEW, SODDY DAISY, SUMMIT

It appears there will be some shake up this week.  AC, I hope your group of pollsters are paying attention and don't vote with their hearts and 2010 yearbooks this week.  I'll help out with some cliff notes:

Baylor put a hush over the crowd and reminded everyone that the Big Red Machine is alive and well in Chattanooga.  Arlington made a statement with their strong win over Bradley, I know it will be hard for the voters but its time to recognize and run them up the ladder.  Wilson Central had a very strong showing at the Indian Classic.  I think a replacement is needed for Beech in the poll.  They had a very bad weekend--only an 8th and 6th place finish, also at the Indian Classic.  It appears they were missing 2 wrestlers but not enough to keep them in the discussion.  Blackman won the Carpet Classic but the jury is still out, that tournament seems weak (to put it nicely).  So who fills in at 11 & 12 this week? 

Disclaimer:  If Soddy shows up on the poll again, this poll will officially be deemed invalid and should be removed from any future discussions.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ObserverW said:

It appears there will be some shake up this week.  AC, I hope your group of pollsters are paying attention and don't vote with their hearts and 2010 yearbooks this week.  I'll help out with some cliff notes:

Baylor put a hush over the crowd and reminded everyone that the Big Red Machine is alive and well in Chattanooga.  Arlington made a statement with their strong win over Bradley, I know it will be hard for the voters but its time to recognize and run them up the ladder.  Wilson Central had a very strong showing at the Indian Classic.  I think a replacement is needed for Beech in the poll.  They had a very bad weekend--only an 8th and 6th place finish, also at the Indian Classic.  It appears they were missing 2 wrestlers but not enough to keep them in the discussion.  Blackman won the Carpet Classic but the jury is still out, that tournament seems weak (to put it nicely).  So who fills in at 11 & 12 this week? 

Disclaimer:  If Soddy shows up on the poll again, this poll will officially be deemed invalid and should be removed from any future discussions.

After speaking with a few individuals it appears as if Baylor won 33-32 over Cleveland and forfeited one weight classification.  It's difficult enough to defeat Cleveland (Nationally Ranked) but to do so and have one forfeit is next to impossible.  Congratulations to The Baylor School!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ObserverW said:

I agree with everything except for the part about Blackman, but I also see where you’re coming from on that. Baylor is the clear cut #1 now. Arlington continues to prove everyone wrong after being disrespected week after week, year after year..and I believe they are the #2 team in AAA ahead of Wilson Central. I’d slot them in at 5 behind Baylor, Cleveland, CBHS, and McCallie. Beech does need to be removed at the moment. While I think they will be a strong team and a solid top 6-8 team in AAA  and should be in this poll soon, right now we don’t really know what we are getting from them with the loss of Horst and Bates. It will be interesting to see how they look after Christmas. 

And most importantly, Soddy 100% needs to be removed and shouldn’t even sniff the rankings anytime soon. No more legacy votes. The Trojans are not good and people in the chatt area need to start to realize that. Any ranking with Soddy present is irrelevant

Edited by Bump11

18 minutes ago, Bump11 said:

I agree with everything except for the part about Blackman, but I also see where you’re coming from on that. Baylor is the clear cut #1 now. Arlington continues to prove everyone wrong after being disrespected week after week, year after year..and I believe they are the #2 team in AAA ahead of Wilson Central. I’d slot them in at 5 behind Baylor, Cleveland, CBHS, and McCallie. Beech does need to be removed at the moment. While I think they will be a strong team and a solid top 6-8 team in AAA  and should be in this poll soon, right now we don’t really know what we are getting from them with the loss of Horst and Bates. It will be interesting to see how they look after Christmas. 

And most importantly, Soddy 100% needs to be removed and shouldn’t even sniff the rankings anytime soon. No more legacy votes. The Trojans are not good and people in the chatt area need to start to realize that. Any ranking with Soddy present is irrelevant

Soddy has dropped off the radar pretty bad. Don't know what happened, but something has. Didnt understand the weight movings in the Cleveland Baylor match, but it was still a good showing.  Bradley will be better than what ppl saw against Arlington. Not saying we can or cannot beat them, but Ben cannot get his lineup right. Why Gibson is not actually weighing 220 and starting there is crazy. He is not himself at 180 and wrestling at 220 over the weekend weighing in at 180 is just even crazier. Devaney will also be back in the lineup this week. We will be ok. Just will take some time. On a side note, Arlington is pretty darn good and could very well crack the final spot to face Cleveland at state. 

Edited by DaBears1976

9 hours ago, DaBears1976 said:

Soddy has dropped off the radar pretty bad. Don't know what happened, but something has. Didnt understand the weight movings in the Cleveland Baylor match, but it was still a good showing.  Bradley will be better than what ppl saw against Arlington. Not saying we can or cannot beat them, but Ben cannot get his lineup right. Why Gibson is not actually weighing 220 and starting there is crazy. He is not himself at 180 and wrestling at 220 over the weekend weighing in at 180 is just even crazier. Devaney will also be back in the lineup this week. We will be ok. Just will take some time. On a side note, Arlington is pretty darn good and could very well crack the final spot to face Cleveland at state. 

Soddy lost their two best wrestlers with Wilson getting kicked off and for now Hayden Maynor not wrestling. Hard to miss two big timers and point grabbers and be anywhere near top 10.

as far as AAA right now it's everyone fighting for second. Arlington is most likely that number 2 but for now everyone I see is so far back of Cleveland I don't see anyone touching them. I mean McCallie slapped Arlington around the other night and I think Cleveland is better than McCallie. Thankfully though the season doesn't end today and all these teams will be able to prove themselves later when it actually matters. 

26 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

I am sure the voting has been done for this week, but I hope the esteemed panel of sheep, I mean voters, took a look at some results.  Your new top 10 team should be Page.  I am going out on a limb and saying they slot in top 8.  

The only person Page has faced even mentioned in this poll is Jefferson Co and they won 42-32. In order for them to get any votes they're going to have to start beating the teams on this list and I don't think they face anybody on here until 1/8 when they have Brentwood.

I would go out on a limb and posts this weeks rankings for myself of

Baylor, Cleveland, Christian Brothers

Father Ryan, Blackman, McCallie, Arlington, Wilson Central, Bradley, Page

After the top 3 I think its a pretty big drop-off and Cleveland unless something bad happens brings another State title home while D2 should be a good fight for sure! 

As far as Brentwood, Page or any others, it seems their beginning schedules on a lot of teams on the bottom of the polls seem to be barren. Brentwoods closest match i see dual wise is MBA and they arent very good and Wilson Central beat them 64-6. Of course there will be many weight movements and other things that happen towards the end of the year that will hopefully make every team a little stronger.

Edited by cobrakid8

12 hours ago, Bump11 said:

The thing about Blackman is that they don't give up any points to forfeits and the bottom tier of their lineup is not horrible.  They are serviceable wrestlers, and I don't mean that to be dismissive of them; just to say that they aren't just "warm bodies" that are there to pick up forfeits.  Those guys complement the middle-to-heavy part of their lineup which is excellent.  Anyone but teams like Cleveland, Father Ryan, McCallie, CBHS, and Baylor will be at a disadvantage against them IMO.  I would favor them against Arlington at this point.  I don't know much about Wilson Central this year so I can't say there but I am looking forward to that dual this week.  

20 minutes ago, WrestlingGod said:

The only person Page has faced even mentioned in this poll is Jefferson Co and they won 42-32. In order for them to get any votes they're going to have to start beating the teams on this list and I don't think they face anybody on here until 1/8 when they have Brentwood.

So you're saying if the poll gods anointed a team as top 12 during the first week, then the only way another team not in the poll can replace them is by beating one of the chosen 12?   Has Brentwood faced anyone in the poll?  Should they have to wait until January to get placed?  WG, you need to rethink your argument.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ObserverW said:

So you're saying if the poll gods anointed a team as top 12 during the first week, then the only way another team not in the poll can replace them is by beating one of the chosen 12?   Has Brentwood faced anyone in the poll?  Should they have to wait until January to get placed?  WG, you need to rethink your argument.  

The Bruins are returning state medalists. They absolutely should be on the first set of rankings and then yes, if you rankings are that important to you and you want to be on the list, you should have to beat a team currently ranked. Just because you are 16-0 doesn't mean you should be on this list. Its quality of opponents, not quantity.

Edited by WrestlingGod