How Whitwell Won The Gold

whitwellpaw

1 hour ago, Red Rebels said:

Corners (well), (burg), (vegas), (ville) could have kicked a field goal from the 2 in the first half.

59 minutes ago, rlh said:

It is amazing how many good 1a teams don't take the kicking game seriously.  One of the few is Onion City and Wayne County.

I believe you two are underestimating the wind last Saturday.

However, Randolph mentioned he would have kicked a FG if we were closer on the last drive. Personally, I think it would be crazy in those conditions.

1 hour ago, TheAmbassador said:

Trust me.. we will hear about this for the rest of our lives. We will be gone and people will still be talking about this happening. It was truly a once in a lifetime event. 

Maybe for the rest of your life. I’ve got over 50 years left at minimum. Doubt I’ll hear about it in 2073. Cornersville will be bringing home their 47th state championship home by then.

1 hour ago, rlh said:

It is amazing how many good 1a teams don't take the kicking game seriously.  One of the few is Onion City and Wayne County.

1 hour ago, PHSRollTide said:

I believe Peabody’s field goal made a huge difference in the 2A game. Made it a two score game for a while and put pressure on Trousdale to score quicker.

Interesting note about the 2A championship. Trousdale County was inside the 10 maybe even the 5 four times and did not get a touchdown. They went for it and didn’t get it. If they had kicked field goals they could have gotten 12 points combining those drives together. Then the game would have been 19 to 17 with a trousdale win. Just some food for thought lol

One has to wonder what the outcome could have been if Cornersville had just punted the ball out of the back of the endzone and given Whitwell the safety. They would be kicking off from the 20 and may have put the Tigers at the 50 at worst. If they score it's still a 1 score game. Just some food for thought.

7 hours ago, cornerback10 said:

However, Randolph mentioned he would have kicked a FG if we were closer on the last drive. Personally, I think it would be crazy in those conditions.

I agree , the wind was crushing, the FG woulda ended up in hurt feelings.....

The last pass looked like it was gonna land perfectly in the back corner of the end zone then looked like it hit a brick wall.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cornerback10 said:

I agree, if you watch the last play of the game the throw hit the wind and just dropped like it was shot out of the air. 

3 hours ago, leadfarmer said:

One has to wonder what the outcome could have been if Cornersville had just punted the ball out of the back of the endzone and given Whitwell the safety. They would be kicking off from the 20 and may have put the Tigers at the 50 at worst. If they score it's still a 1 score game. Just some food for thought.

It’s hard to say in that wind. In a perfect game conditions this would of made the coach a genius 

13 hours ago, PHSRollTide said:

Interesting note about the 2A championship. Trousdale County was inside the 10 maybe even the 5 four times and did not get a touchdown. They went for it and didn’t get it. If they had kicked field goals they could have gotten 12 points combining those drives together. Then the game would have been 19 to 17 with a trousdale win. Just some food for thought lol

I thought the same thing as I was watching. Their kicker booted the PAT pretty good so I would expect he could’ve hit 3 of them at least 

23 hours ago, cornerback10 said:

The passed over an opportunity in the 1st half.  3 points is better than none.