How Whitwell Won The Gold

whitwellpaw

5 hours ago, TN225 said:

It’s good to see a staff that capitalizes on having talent. Here is another thing the Juniors coming back have played 40 weeks of football those extra weeks of practice go a long way in play development and maturity. 

Whitwell had GREAT talent in 2017-2018. The talent will drop off considerably for next season, but with that weaker schedule they will win a lot. 

17 minutes ago, Salem said:

@tradertwo has the best post I've read on here in a while. Pretty cool to compose such a long, sincere post about a team you only casually follow.

It runs deeper than casually following Cornersville.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2011 at 11:20 PM, tradertwo said:

Allycat, I'm pretty sure I've figured out who you are and I'll ASSURE you that the whole Scotts Hill community(fanbase) is heartsick tonight....not for us,but for the feelings of the wonderful "family" that you girls have become to each other,as well as to all us who live and die with you. The unselfishness and single minded determination that your team has displayed all season is what high school sports are all about,and I personally couldn't be more proud of all of you if you'd won it all.....and that's a promise.The real reason that we follow and cheer and wear the shirts,and act like kids ourselves,is to SUPPORT the kids that we LOVE and ADMIRE so much,and I'm glad that you all can have the satisfaction of knowing that the Lady Lions have the fan support that you do because so many feel the same as I do.I'm honored that you regard the fans highly enough to feel that you've "let us down",but the truth is that you have it all wrong.You,your teammates,and your coach have given us fans a great gift by giving everything you have for each other,and apparently us too.Good Lord willing there'll be more teams and more years for me(and the rest) to follow but this team will always be special to me. Thank you to all you wonderful young ladies for the memories that you've given me,maybe one day you all can sit beside me in the stands,and a daughter,son,niece,nephew or neighbor will make you as proud of them as I am of all of you. :wub:

That's a response to one of the players on Scotts Hill's girls Basketball team. They went 33-1, and lost to state champs Wayne County at Murfreesboro... afterward she posted on coachT about how bad she felt that she and the team had let the community down by not winning the gold ball FOR US. I don't mind telling you that I still get a lump in my throat when I see her, and from remembering writing this. Life's experiences make us who we are, and I know how the Cornersville posters feel about their team... believe me, the pain goes away but the pride never will.

• Upvote 1

On 12/8/2018 at 1:36 PM, leadfarmer said:

I has a similar situation when we were playing Columbia Academy.  I was standing in my endzone awaiting the snap, long snapper snapped it high and I got a hand on it and knocked it down. I just kicked it out of the endzone. I would rather give them 2 than 6. I missed a 48 yard field goal that would have given us the win by 1. 

Was that me snapping or was that our Jr year 

On 12/9/2018 at 10:36 AM, tradertwo said:

Both teams had the wind at their back for half the game. This thread is full of "what if's" and "I would have's", but we all have the luxury of knowing the outcome of every play we're picking apart. Both teams played excellent football, both made a few mistakes, and both were good enough to win... one mistake by Cornersville cost them one point, and that decided the game. I don't know of many plays the Cornersville Coach would like to do over in order to change his call, and I'd bet that there have been very few games across the state this entire season with fewer. Despite the disparity in yardage gained, these were two very evenly matched teams who played a very close game until the final whistle. People are fond of saying that there are no such thing as moral victories. I disagree with that in principal, but in this case their right... the Bulldogs came out of the shadows last season, demolished most opponents for two years running, and came up a single point short...no moral victory. Having said that, this group has changed Cornersville football from homecoming queen, into a program to be feared by all of 1A/2A. I'm sure that Cornersville has always supported their team, but I'm just as sure that now that support has grown, that the Bulldog program will continue to see that in the stands (and boosters), and to reap the rewards in facilities.

To the Bulldog players... You will forever be the team that put your school, community, and football program on the map. You will forever be the bunch of young men who set the standard, inspired the younger kids, motivated your entire town, and gained the highest level of respect from the entire state. I have never been to a Cornersville football game, but I was sick for you players and your fans that you didn't hold that gold ball... before you feel that you have let yourselves or the community down, you need to understand the enormous gift that you have given your fans. You have filled their Friday nights with positive emotions... they have cheered, laughed, yelled, high fived, and lived your victories with you, and you have brought them together as one. They are heartbroken right now, but here's the part that you players don't understand. They are not heartbroken for themselves. Until you one day sit in the stands alongside your fans and families, and feel the pride in watching your little brother, cousin, son, grandson, neighbor, or someone that you don't even know wearing your school colors with the same pride that you have, you won't understand that the pain felt now is for the young men that have given so much to them and asked nothing in return. They know the level of effort, desire, brotherhood, and pride that you all have played with because they have felt it, and the cost that comes with that when you lose, because they have felt that, not so much for themselves, but for you. Keep your heads up boys...you are the true hometown hero's. 

Much respect 

5 hours ago, Bull02 said:

Was that me snapping or was that our Jr year 

Scott Elliot snapping. It was my senior year. That was the second time in that game that he snapped it over my head. Both times it led to points for .CA. I was just as much to blame I guess. I put some pressure on him. He had trouble snapping it durring practice that week and both times in the huddle durring the game I grabbed his facemask and pulled him up close and told him to bounce it back to me if he had too, just don't snap the darn ball over my head. You know the rest of the story. Weird how it was almost 20 years ago and I still remember all that stuff like it was yesterday. 

Edited by leadfarmer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, leadfarmer said:

Scott Elliot snapping. It was my senior year. That was the second time in that game that he snapped it over my head. Both times it led to points for .CA. I was just as much to blame I guess. I put some pressure on him. He had trouble snapping it durring practice that week and both times in the huddle durring the game I grabbed his facemask and pulled him up close and told him to bounce it back to me if he had too, just don't snap the darn ball over my head. You know the rest of the story. Weird how it was almost 20 years ago and I still remember all that stuff like it was yesterday. 

I'm 51 and have a better recollection of some of my high school baseball games than my wedding night.....:rolleyes::D:D

4 minutes ago, lakecounty1968 said:

Will not hear it from Cornersviile again in the next 10 years. Conersville plays with what gets off the yellow buses much like Lake County but most 1a valley schools don't and some school that calls themselves Greenback. Play with what you have instead of acquiring talent to give you an advantage. If you can't beat em, I guess join them. Lol

On 12/10/2018 at 10:45 AM, ImaSavage said:

Hmm most all of them I’ve talked too, understand exactly what it is, and I’ve seen many acknowledge this was their best an likely only shot. 

But I’d have to say the staff and the two you coached seemed to have done a dang good job. 

Will be some staff changes at Whitwell next year. Some are moving on and some are staying.  Whitwell will still be very competitive in 2019 with some drop off in 2020 due to playing alot of SO.  There is talent coming down the pipe to be competitive, just have to develop it.Whitwell program is in much better shape due to the last two years. 

Those two coaches he coahed have very bright futures in front of them. CWF has done a remarkable job with the OL past two years and has a good offensive mind. CJC has an incredible defensive mind, that private school is getting a good one right there. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TigerfootballFan said:

Will be some staff changes at Whitwell next year. Some are moving on and some are staying.  Whitwell will still be very competitive in 2019 with some drop off in 2020 due to playing alot of SO.  There is talent coming down the pipe to be competitive, just have to develop it.Whitwell program is in much better shape due to the last two years. 

Those two coaches he coahed have very bright futures in front of them. CWF has done a remarkable job with the OL past two years and has a good offensive mind. CJC has an incredible defensive mind, that private school is getting a good one right there. 

Theyre good at what they do, I'm happy they saw the opportunity they had in Whitwell, and stuck around, I'm sure they coulda been paid much more other places to coach.....