How does this year's Alcoa team rank all time?

32hammer

Discussion on another thread led me to thinking about how good this years  team was. 

This is what Alcoa did on the field this year.

Undefeated .

Only allowed one team to score more than 17 points

1st team to win at Maryville in 76 games ( since 2010)

Outscored region 299-8.

1st 3A team to defeat the defending state champion in the states largest classification

6 regular season shutouts. 8 shutouts including playoffs.

Beat the team that beat the 6A state champs.

#24 ranked team in the nation and I believe the #1 ranked public school  team with under 700 students in the nation. ( still working on confirming the 2nd part) 

How does this team compare with '89, '09. '10  etc?

4 minutes ago, 32hammer said:

Discussion on another thread led me to thinking about how good this years  team was. 

Undefeated .

Outscored region 299-8.

1st 3A team to defeat the defending state champion in the states largest classification

#24 ranked team in the nation and I believe the #1 ranked public school  team with under 700 students in the nation. ( still working on confirming the 2nd part) 

I have been around since 1969.  This 2018 team was very good, but you really can't compare teams of different eras.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, clintabbott said:

I have been around since 1969.  This 2018 team was very good, but you really can't compare teams of different eras.

Lot of truth in that statement sir. I guess in hindsight my original post should have left the last sentence out. Probably better just as an appreciation post for what the team accomplished this year rather than a compare and contrast.

After looking at the whole body of work this team would definitely rank in the top  5 or 6 best teams. The 1989, 01, 05, 09, 10, 13, and this years team would be my top. The 2005 and 2013 teams were not undefeated but at the end of the year they were playing as good as any Alcoa team that I have seen. The 89 team was probably the best team in my opinion but some people will disagree. The linebacker core on that team was unbelievable and then you had Billy Williams at wide receiver on offense with an all SEC TE to boot. Don’t forget we also had one of the top nose guards in the state that year too. That team was without a doubt the best team in Tennessee that year. 

I've seen some great Alcoa teams but I 'm no Guru on Alcoa football . I've watched teams in the past that gave more of a dominate vib about them during that year.They didn't have to beat Maryville either.I wouldn't put this years Maryville team anywhere near their best either for an example. Maybe I'm right on the year but take the Alcoa 2010 team,I think they were the only loss for Maryville's state championship team that year and they went undefeated.Might want to correct me but anyway,I've seen Alcoa teams that would have destroyed DB in the first half this year as well and I think took care of the championship game a little quicker.Maybe I'm wrong but you have a lot of super teams to pick from with a bunch of great players

7 hours ago, 32hammer said:

Undefeated .

Outscored region 299-8.

Ranked #24????? On what poll? If it’s not the unapproved website website Poll then it’s essentially not worth anything. Everyone knows that Is the real poll that’s the hardest to get ranked on. Alcoa is like 400 something on that one lol. However the 2009 alcoa team is possibly the best one I have ever seen. That team that yr was #2 in the state behind the nationally ranked Barry Brunetti led MUS owls who were like 26-0 his last 2 yrs. 09 Alcoa was insanely good along with cobbs senior yr

Edited by zoneread56

8 hours ago, BCsportsfan said:

Modern era: (last ten years)

1. 2010

2. 2009

3. 2015

4. 2018

5. 2017

I didn’t notice but put 2013 instead of 2015. Typo! The 2015 defense was one of our best ever! At the end of the year that team was playing awesome. A lot of people don’t remember the 1988 team but that team was awesome as well. Lost to BA that year which they ended up being ranked #4 in the country. To me that’s our most underrated team. 

On 12/7/2018 at 5:44 PM, Springbrookrat said:

After looking at the whole body of work this team would definitely rank in the top  5 or 6 best teams. The 1989, 01, 05, 09, 10, 13, and this years team would be my top. The 2005 and 2013 teams were not undefeated but at the end of the year they were playing as good as any Alcoa team that I have seen. The 89 team was probably the best team in my opinion but some people will disagree. The linebacker core on that team was unbelievable and then you had Billy Williams at wide receiver on offense with an all SEC TE to boot. Don’t forget we also had one of the top nose guards in the state that year too. That team was without a doubt the best team in Tennessee that year. 

Your right about the 89 team even though it's hard to compare era's because so many rules have changed. That team was the best in Tennessee no doubt in 89. Henry and Williams went to UT and Mitchell to Georgia.