Can Freshman team players play rec league?

gooddog

100 year old argument. The rule is as shown. Opinions have always varied depending on a kid's role and potential future in the HS program. May shock some folks that I would say this, but IMO the HS season should be for HS ball ONLY and the AAU (or even Rec) season its own. I don't like the crossover of either.

I'm also a proponent of multiple sport athletes not "focusing" on just one sport. If a kid plays football and basketball or baseball or all 3, how is he supposed to juggle all that is almost "required" to be successful and remain a part of the teams he is a part of? I wish a season was designated and there was no interference from the others. Never gonna happen though.....

12 hours ago, chattaauhoops said:

100 year old argument. The rule is as shown. Opinions have always varied depending on a kid's role and potential future in the HS program. May shock some folks that I would say this, but IMO the HS season should be for HS ball ONLY and the AAU (or even Rec) season its own. I don't like the crossover of either.

I'm also a proponent of multiple sport athletes not "focusing" on just one sport. If a kid plays football and basketball or baseball or all 3, how is he supposed to juggle all that is almost "required" to be successful and remain a part of the teams he is a part of? I wish a season was designated and there was no interference from the others. Never gonna happen though.....

Agree.

15 hours ago, chattaauhoops said:

Agree also

14 hours ago, HOOPSGURU said:

According to TSSAA, every kid that plays HS sports must be listed on the eligibility report at any level of play. 

4 hours ago, orngnblk said:

This was my thought also.

agreed... 

Junior Varsity – Any level of play below the varsity level, whether denominated as junior varsity, b-team, or otherwise. The membership of a junior varsity team shall be composed of varsity substitutes and any other nonvarsity players identified on the school’s eligibility list.

But from the way I read it. If the kid he's talking about is on the freshman only team and is not going to ever suit up or play on the varsity team then they could play rec. Would I ever allow my child to do it... HECK NO! The punishment by TSSAA would be if the kid played Rec during the season and then was brought up to the varsity team and played minutes. Then from what I read that would be playing an ineligible player at the varsity level. 

Again these are only my personal opinions of the rule as I read it.  The school's coach and AD should be in this conversation before the parent does it. 

i think some of the confusion comes in when comparing small schools to larger schools. With small schools you may be on the Freshman/JV team but you still dress out for the varsity & may play in blowouts. With some larger schools the freshman/JV players never see the varsity bench the whole year. 

Edited by Dunc4265

15 hours ago, HOOPSGURU said:

According to TSSAA, every kid that plays HS sports must be listed on the eligibility report at any level of play. 

There are kids who transfer, are ineligible for a period of time, but are allowed to practice and play JV. 

I looked through the handbook and couldn't find anything about it at any level though.

37 minutes ago, Dunc4265 said:

agreed... 

Junior Varsity – Any level of play below the varsity level, whether denominated as junior varsity, b-team, or otherwise. The membership of a junior varsity team shall be composed of varsity substitutes and any other nonvarsity players identified on the school’s eligibility list.

But from the way I read it. If the kid he's talking about is on the freshman only team and is not going to ever suit up or play on the varsity team then they could play rec. Would I ever allow my child to do it... HECK NO! The punishment by TSSAA would be if the kid played Rec during the season and then was brought up to the varsity team and played minutes. Then from what I read that would be playing an ineligible player at the varsity level. 

Again these are only my personal opinions of the rule as I read it.  The school's coach and AD should be in this conversation before the parent does it. 

i think some of the confusion comes in when comparing small schools to larger schools. With small schools you may be on the Freshman/JV team but you still dress out for the varsity & may play in blowouts. With some larger schools the freshman/JV players never see the varsity bench the whole year. 

If the kid is playing at any level of high school: ie varsity, JV or freshman, he is listed on eligibility and therefore cannot participate in any other organized game in that sport during the school ball season. If they do they are then immediately ineligible to participate any further for the school. If they do participate, all victories would  be vacated and the  school fined by the TSSAA.

4 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

If the kid is playing at any level of high school: ie varsity, JV or freshman, he is listed on eligibility and therefore cannot participate in any other organized game in that sport during the school ball season. If they do they are then immediately ineligible to participate any further for the school. If they do participate, all victories would  be vacated and the  school fined by the TSSAA.

So you are saying that if a kid that's only on a Junior Varsity team can not participate in any other organized game? even if he does not suit up and play in the varsity level?

Because the below was copied straight out of the TSSAA rule book and it says the only eligibility rules that apply to Junior Varsity is those listed..... and Section 21 "Independent-Game Participation" is not in that list. It clearly separates the Varsity level and below junior varsity or B-Team levels. 

"At the junior varsity or B-Team level, the only eligibility rules that apply are those in Sections 1 (Enrollment), 2 through 4 (Academic Rules), 5 (High School Graduate), 6 (Eight-Semester Rule), 7 (Repeating Rule), 8 (Eighth Grade Participation), 9 (Age Limit), 10 (Physical Examination and Parental Consent), 13d (Under Disciplinary Action), 13e (Coaching Link), and 25 (Home School Rule). At the varsity level, all eligibility rules apply."

Again, I have no dog in this... just trying to understand the actual rules I see posted and debated on here. 

4 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Where does it say that?