Can Freshman team players play rec league?

gooddog

23 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

If the kid is playing at any level of high school: ie varsity, JV or freshman, he is listed on eligibility and therefore cannot participate in any other organized game in that sport during the school ball season. If they do they are then immediately ineligible to participate any further for the school. If they do participate, all victories would  be vacated and the  school fined by the TSSAA.

That is absolutely incorrect.

Find out through the TSSAA they will answer any and all questions.I called them in 2007 about transferring my son because everyone had an opinion and i didnt want to cause ANY issues with his new team.Its just added insurance.Anyone can read these rules and get a different perspective of the meaning.In my opinion if the kid ISNT ON THE VARSITY ROSTER AND DOESNT PLAY OR DRESS with the varsity and there is 0 chance he will,there shouldnt be an issue but if there is that chance its worth a call.So many innocent teammates are punished because of selfish parents and coaches.

I do know for a fact if he is listed on the varsity roster he CANNOT play rec league ball.like i said earlier we had two suspended during the season of 2010 for this very act and the only played JV at the time.

Edited by orngnblk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, orngnblk said:

Find out through the TSSAA they will answer any and all questions.I called them in 2007 about transferring my son because everyone had an opinion and i didnt want to cause ANY issues with his new team.Its just added insurance.Anyone can read these rules and get a different perspective of the meaning.In my opinion if the kid ISNT ON THE VARSITY ROSTER AND DOESNT PLAY OR DRESS with the varsity and there is 0 chance he will,there shouldnt be an issue but if there is that chance its worth a call.So many innocent teammates are punished because of selfish parents and coaches.

I do know for a fact if he is listed on the varsity roster he CANNOT play rec league ball.like i said earlier we had two suspended during the season of 2010 for this very act and the only played JV at the time.

Yes! Always best to call TSSAA and document the conversation. Interpretation of rules ends up being the opinion of those involved and the hope of the outcome being in their favor. NEVER trust a Rec league or even an AAU coach's opinion. I love what most coaches do to help kids develop and compete but some are very selfish and use kids for their talent. Call TSSAA!

3 hours ago, MichaelMyers76 said:

Call Gene Menees and then come back here  and apologize if you are man enough.

All right, genius. Here you go. Directly from page 21 of the TSSAA handbook. This is the entirety of the "Independent-Game Participation" section -- my bold italics for emphasis:

"Section 21. Once a student’s name is listed on the school’s eligibility report, if a student participates in an independent game in that sport after the first contest date allowed and before the season has closed or his/her name has been removed from the eligibility report at the request of the school principal, the student shall be ineligible at the varsity level as explained below.

Any organized game in which players not registered with TSSAA participate – regardless of whether admission is charged - is considered as an independent game. Violation of this rule will render the student ineligible for 25% of the number of contests/dates allowed in that sport by the sports calendar or for the remainder of the season in that sport, whichever number is the least. Violation of this rule a second time in the same sport in the same season will render the student ineligible in that sport for the remainder of the season.

A student's name may be removed from the school's eligibility list upon written request of the principal prior to the first official contest date allowed in that sport without penalty. After the first official contest allowed, a student’s name may be removed from the school’s eligibility list upon written request of the principal, and he/she may then participate as an independent without penalty. If the principal requests the state office to remove a student’s name after the first official contest date allowed in that sport, such student may not again be certified during the season of that sport."

That's a three paragraph section. The ineligibility in the second and third paragraphs pertain only to VARSITY sports. Under TSSAA rules, a student may play in independent games during the season if that student does not play on a VARSITY team. 

2 minutes ago, MoonDogRex said:

All right, genius. Here you go. Directly from page 21 of the TSSAA handbook. This is the entirety of the "Independent-Game Participation" section -- my bold italics for emphasis:

"Section 21. Once a student’s name is listed on the school’s eligibility report, if a student participates in an independent game in that sport after the first contest date allowed and before the season has closed or his/her name has been removed from the eligibility report at the request of the school principal, the student shall be ineligible at the varsity level as explained below.

Any organized game in which players not registered with TSSAA participate – regardless of whether admission is charged - is considered as an independent game. Violation of this rule will render the student ineligible for 25% of the number of contests/dates allowed in that sport by the sports calendar or for the remainder of the season in that sport, whichever number is the least. Violation of this rule a second time in the same sport in the same season will render the student ineligible in that sport for the remainder of the season.

A student's name may be removed from the school's eligibility list upon written request of the principal prior to the first official contest date allowed in that sport without penalty. After the first official contest allowed, a student’s name may be removed from the school’s eligibility list upon written request of the principal, and he/she may then participate as an independent without penalty. If the principal requests the state office to remove a student’s name after the first official contest date allowed in that sport, such student may not again be certified during the season of that sport."

That's a three paragraph section. The ineligibility in the second and third paragraphs pertain only to VARSITY sports. Under TSSAA rules, a student may play in independent games during the season if that student does not play on a VARSITY team. 

Just call Menees, give him the  scenario and then get back to me. I have already seen it happen. Obviously you have not.

Steve Kern and Stan Lane say hello.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/17/2018 at 7:24 AM, MichaelMyers76 said:

Thanks for the advice. I just got off the phone with Gene Menees. From his own mouth.... a player that is freshman/JV ONLY can play both Rec League and freshman/ JV level at the same time.

Like mentioned here a number of times... that player CAN NOT be on the varsity team bench or player's list for the remainder of the season though. So, if your school is big enough to have a completely separate freshman/JV team than the varsity level then yes a freshman/JV ONLY player can play Rec. 

Edited by Dunc4265

On 12/17/2018 at 7:24 AM, MichaelMyers76 said:

DONE

On 12/17/2018 at 10:44 AM, MichaelMyers76 said:

Just call Menees, give him the  scenario and then get back to me. I have already seen it happen. Obviously you have not.

Steve Kern and Stan Lane say hello.

DONE

So, you man enough?