Consolidation of Marion County schools

Roy Dillard

I was at Ronnies red eye tonight and this man was telling me and that Tower man that these kinfolk is wanting to consolidate our schools and shut Griders school down. What kind of mess is this? Our boys dont want to go to school with them jailhouse fellars.  This is a bunch of mess. They can join with that Boldin man and Grider can keep his school open.  You think im joking but im not. 

1 hour ago, Roy Dillard said:

I was at Ronnies red eye tonight and this man was telling me and that Tower man that these kinfolk is wanting to consolidate our schools and shut Griders school down. What kind of mess is this? Our boys dont want to go to school with them jailhouse fellars.  This is a bunch of mess. They can join with that Boldin man and Grider can keep his school open.  You think im joking but im not. 

What kind of mess is this??? I guarantee you that Griffith man is real stupid if he puts all your schools together. If you figger up how much it would cost to build a big enough school to hold 'em all, and what it would cost to haul 'em all over the county to get there, you would see how big of a durn mess this would make out of your towns and schools. It would mess up all the football playin to... watch that Final Season baseball movie about some durn idiots doing the same thing to that Astin mans baseball school and you will no what I mean. I'm not falling for this durn mess Roy, and I hope you dont to, and you no I ain't joking neither.

9 hours ago, tradertwo said:

What kind of mess is this??? I guarantee you that Griffith man is real stupid if he puts all your schools together. If you figger up how much it would cost to build a big enough school to hold 'em all, and what it would cost to haul 'em all over the county to get there, you would see how big of a durn mess this would make out of your towns and schools. It would mess up all the football playin to... watch that Final Season baseball movie about some durn idiots doing the same thing to that Astin mans baseball school and you will no what I mean. I'm not falling for this durn mess Roy, and I hope you dont to, and you no I ain't joking neither.

At the end, they would still need the same number of teachers to keep the pupil/teacher ratio.  They would have 1 principal, but then have more vice principals and assistant principals.  The busing would still be just as big because the county will still be the same size. 

2 hours ago, rlh said:

At the end, they would still need the same number of teachers to keep the pupil/teacher ratio.  They would have 1 principal, but then have more vice principals and assistant principals.  The busing would still be just as big because the county will still be the same size. 

This is a hot topic rlh, with proponents on both sides having "logical" arguments. In addition to logic and facts, I like to consider everything involved and how the facts affect everyone involved. Consolidation usually eliminates a few positions and condenses maintenance of facilities, while incurring large up front expenses and increasing busing expense into perpetuity. Long story short... into the foreseeable future the expenditures/savings are nullified. So why do it? Advocates argue diversity of course offerings and campus security, while those against counter with student performance and community involvement. If you want to stick to scientific findings, schools ranging from 600 to 900 students most effectively balance curriculum and optimizing student performance.

What very few proponents of consolidation want to address is the effect of closing schools on the communities in which they are located, and the impact on individual students in outlying areas of the county. Boarding a bus every morning two hours before, and exiting two hours after school isn't considered... businesses dependent on localized activity isn't considered... school support by those same businesses and the community as a whole isn't considered, as well as other "small" issues made more difficult to monitor and police, such as truancy, abuse, bullying, ect…

My personal viewpoint is that small rural schools offer security and individuality to the students that the large ones can't match. Diversity of curriculum is good on paper, but by percentages of student application's, it is more for propaganda than application. I would be much more comfortable sending my kid to a school on a bus driven by my neighbor, where the principal and most teachers were my classmates, and most of the students and their families are familiar to me. Also, even though the school system has no "official" affiliation with, nor duty to the community in which the school is located, I (personal opinion here) feel that our schools "owe" a gratitude to them for policing, servicing, and supporting the school. Last, but not least... those "positions" that proponents desire to eliminate are held (in majority) by good taxpaying county residents who depend on their jobs. If consolidation eliminates 9 positions (roughly $460,000.00), yet incurs an up front cost of 10 million for construction, and increases the transportation budget by $90,000.00 per year...well, you do the math.

Edited by tradertwo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, tradertwo said:

I garuntee you these jailhouse fellars is full of mess. Me and that Tower man was out at cracker barrel this morning and they was a Jasper skillet slinger there and we got to arguing about this mess.  I never did convince her that bigger wasnt better.  I garuntee you I aint joking either. 

28 minutes ago, Roy Dillard said:

I garuntee you these jailhouse fellars is full of mess. Me and that Tower man was out at cracker barrel this morning and they was a Jasper skillet slinger there and we got to arguing about this mess.  I never did convince her that bigger wasnt better.  I garuntee you I aint joking either. 

You can’t convince no skillet slinger that bigger ain’t better. You should have learned that when Wendy left. 

30 minutes ago, Roy Dillard said:

Maybe she didn’t understand what you were arguing with her about Roy. Maybe she thought you meant... LMBO