AAU coaches on HS benches

WaReAgLe3

On 12/12/2018 at 3:23 PM, BoomKing2006 said:

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but the TSSAA requires certain head coaches to be faculty members: Football, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Track and Field/Cross County. That applies to head coaches only. All other coaches (JV, Freshman, Assistant) can be non-faculty members but must pass a general background check administered by the county. The person may or may not be paid... could be volunteers and not paid. 

The topic is a little vague but I'm assuming the AAU coach was just on the bench and not the Head Coach. 

Where the problem may lie which is why this was posted in the first place is if athletes from the AAU program begin transferring to the school they volunteer or assistant coach at. At that point a violation occurs with coaching connections. The athlete would be ineligible for a year. There are a few loopholes with private schools... etc... 

If you have been a non-faculty assistant for 5 years  then you can be a head coach. Pickett Co., Memphis East, Perry County all have or have had non faculty head coaches. White Co just hired a non faculty Head Football Coach who won a state championship in Georgia.  Many many many schools have non faculty head coaches who do a great job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldEagleEye said:

If you have been a non-faculty assistant for 5 years  then you can be a head coach. Pickett Co., Memphis East, Perry County all have or have had non faculty head coaches. White Co just hired a non faculty Head Football Coach who won a state championship in Georgia.  Many many many schools have non faculty head coaches who do a great job.

Is there a qualifier that you have to be at the same school for 5 subsequent years to become a head coach at that school or 5 years anywhere to become a head coach anywhere else? 

21 hours ago, Play 4 Fun said:

I had a key word in my post. GOOD HS and MS coaches. lol....secondly as long as there are coaches in aau, there will be recruiting? There was recruiting a long time before AAU became relevant. There will be a long time after it's gone. The more these kids get to interact with technology, the more they recruit each other and plant those seeds. A lot of times, the coach doesn't have to say anything. Also, let it be known the Insell machine that ran through Shelbyville was a recruiting monster....recruiting will happen. Transfers will happen. Those are facts. No reason to penalize the kids and take GOOD coaches out of the game. 

You are spot on with how the recruiting is done! A Coach just has to let the friendships and networking take place! Just reality! I would say 80% of schools with winning programs have at least 1 kid on the team that is zoned for another school! But that's on the parents! Instant gratification and the unwillingness to let their kids fail! 

• Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 3:23 PM, BoomKing2006 said:

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but the TSSAA requires certain head coaches to be faculty members: Football, Basketball, Baseball, Softball, Track and Field/Cross County. That applies to head coaches only. All other coaches (JV, Freshman, Assistant) can be non-faculty members but must pass a general background check administered by the county. The person may or may not be paid... could be volunteers and not paid. 

The topic is a little vague but I'm assuming the AAU coach was just on the bench and not the Head Coach. 

Where the problem may lie which is why this was posted in the first place is if athletes from the AAU program begin transferring to the school they volunteer or assistant coach at. At that point a violation occurs with coaching connections. The athlete would be ineligible for a year. There are a few loopholes with private schools... etc... 

Per TSSAA Bylaws. Section 9. All coaches must be registered with TSSAA annually and will fall under one of the following categories:
1. Full-time certified teacher (a minimum of 100 school days) of a board of education with a Tennessee
teaching license or the equivalent.
2. Retired educator (five or more years' experience) with a valid Tennessee state teaching license or the
equivalent.
3. Non-faculty coach – Anyone approved by the principal, superintendent, and/or local board of
education in the normal course of employment procedures in accordance with applicable state law.
4. Classified Employee – Any individual employed by a member school or school system in a position
that does not require a teaching license or the equivalent. A Classified Employee must be employed
30 hours or more per week in a non-coaching position and may not be an independent contractor or
an employee of an independent contractor.

Vote occurred not too long ago to allow non-faculty to be head coaches in the major sports.

Yes you can be on bench.....that’s why the link rule was installed. No more than 3 players from the same high school can be on a team per AAU rules. The rule however does not apply to 8th graders because they have not established a high school record. Parents are going to do what’s best for their kid regardless  in my opinion. The culture now is players want to go where their friends are or to programs that have winning traditions/good coaching. Look at the NBA...Unfortunately, the playing for your hometown win or lose mentality is diminishing unless you don’t have any other choice......If you have a winning program, players will come....

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 11:20 AM, OldEagleEye said:

it can be anywhere and i've even seen that rule waived. Penny Hardaway was Head Coach at memphis east without being a teacher and now he is at the University of Memphis. Kirk Haston coaches at perry county and was a lottery pick in the NBA. TSSAA can do what they want when they want.

Haston is faculty if I'm not mistaken, but no coach has to be. there are parameters allowing for non faculty including being fingerprinted, background checked, and a certain amount of "tenure" ( I believe that five years is correct ). In my opinion, allowing "contact" between AAU and TSSAA members is a Pandora's box that will not end well for TSSAA if they don't address it quickly and define lines that can't be crossed in either direction.

19 hours ago, tradertwo said:

Haston is faculty if I'm not mistaken, but no coach has to be. there are parameters allowing for non faculty including being fingerprinted, background checked, and a certain amount of "tenure" ( I believe that five years is correct ). In my opinion, allowing "contact" between AAU and TSSAA members is a Pandora's box that will not end well for TSSAA if they don't address it quickly and define lines that can't be crossed in either direction.

Well said! Agree 100%