Should High School ADs hold a coaching postion?

EastNasty

Well it depends.  To do either job well requires a significant amount of time.  All sports take time on top of teaching or administrative/educator time.  Football especially is time intensive and to walk away from a practice to be at a different sporting event isn't the ideal position to be in.  Off season wouldn't be as detrimental but man that is a long day to go from school to the locker room/ weight room, to a basketball or baseball game.  Can it be done, sure.  Can both be done well, potentially.  Should one person be both....depends.   Can the school system afford 2 different people; Is the AD/Coach mature enough to be objective;  Is there comfort in the head coach/AD bifurcating responsibilities when it comes to promoting a certain culture on the team. Hey skill player you can't leave practice 30 minutes early to go to your after school job and if you don't like it come see me after practice...….I'll be at the women's soccer game.  Maybe that is a little extreme but it gets the point across that IMO there isn't a blanket answer. 

• Upvote 2

Each school and situation is very different.  If you are at a school that is 9-12 and offers every sport plus JV teams that the TSSAA sponsors it would be very difficult to be the athletic director without 1 or even 2 assistant athletic directors.  Would the AD be required to hire & fire coaches?  Do they have a secretary that would be responsible for the clerical work?  Would the AD be required to attend every athletic event?  So many variables that it's difficult to determine if the AD would have the time to be a head coach or even an assistant coach.

I had someone discuss the AD position at an elite grade 7-12 private school with me a few years ago.  Like I told the man who was considering taking the job.

1.  Don't do it for less than $150,000 per year

2.  You must have a secretary and two assistant athletic directors

3.  You must have a company car or be reimbursed for mileage at the federal mandated level.  I want to say that is now .545 per mile

4.  A school credit card is a must for dinners and lunches when you travel.  If you travel to an event most every evening you don't want to leave the athletic contest at 9:00pm and have to go home and cook.  They must allow you $25.00 per meal for those days you are working late.

It's not free to hire a good athletic director and if you want to dance you have to pay the band unless you go cheap and hire a DJ.  I have learned over the years that in most every instance you get what you pay for.  There is a big difference between a professional and someone that has little if any experience.  

Edited by cbg
  • Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 2:00 PM, cbg said:

Each school and situation is very different.  If you are at a school that is 9-12 and offers every sport plus JV teams that the TSSAA sponsors it would be very difficult to be the athletic director without 1 or even 2 assistant athletic directors.  Would the AD be required to hire & fire coaches?  Do they have a secretary that would be responsible for the clerical work?  Would the AD be required to attend every athletic event?  So many variables that it's difficult to determine if the AD would have the time to be a head coach or even an assistant coach.

I had someone discuss the AD position at an elite grade 7-12 private school with me a few years ago.  Like I told the man who was considering taking the job.

1.  Don't do it for less than $150,000 per year

2.  You must have a secretary and two assistant athletic directors

3.  You must have a company car or be reimbursed for mileage at the federal mandated level.  I want to say that is now .545 per mile

4.  A school credit card is a must for dinners and lunches when you travel.  If you travel to an event most every evening you don't want to leave the athletic contest at 9:00pm and have to go home and cook.  They must allow you $25.00 per meal for those days you are working late.

It's not free to hire a good athletic director and if you want to dance you have to pay the band unless you go cheap and hire a DJ.  I have learned over the years that in most every instance you get what you pay for.  There is a big difference between a professional and someone that has little if any experience.  

Where can I APPLY??

4 hours ago, FridayMainEvent said:

Where can I APPLY??

I am just saying that I know what a good persons time is worth!  If you are going to be required to work 60 or 70 hours per week figure what you get paid per hour for 40 hours and then figure time and a half for the other 20 or 30 hours per week.  Other than a small college or going out of state to a very large high school you would have to work for a D2AAA school in Tennessee.

2 hours ago, strongx said:

Should high schools and middle schools even have AD’s? With all the “specialized” coaches and assistant principals these days, an xtra AD position is for those systems with money to blow.

Some school districts have an "ATHLETIC PRINCIPAL" and they are paid as if they were an assistant principal.

On 12/18/2018 at 12:44 PM, FBfan26 said:

True but I would feel funny if I was a HC and the AD is my oc which is also my boss.

It happens... Just have to be able to allow him to wear both hats and trust him enough to be able to give you the backing through the tough times. He has to respect the fact you have the final say. Would have to be friends for sure.

MOJO

Public School, Full-time, autonomous Athletic Directors whose only oversight from the Principal is hiring and firing does not exist.  Anyone that tells you differently is dreaming.  Public school "Athletic Principals" also do not exist.  They just happen to be the assistant principal that drew the shortest straw to deal with the parents who won't stop complaining.  Those people usually do not get it completely resolved and the Principal usually has to deal with it. 

In different states, the AD's are full time, good salaries, held accountable, autonomous, and with little oversight when it comes to hiring and firing.  This will never happen in TN.  Until then they will be nothing but glorified schedulers, and light turner offers and oners. 

Privates fall into the trap of usually making the football coach the Ad and that is purely for a financial purpose to 1) give the coach a better compensation package, 2) keep them in their current positions.  The other teams in most cases are the ones that get the short end of the deal.  In certain cases, the other sports get no attention or very little support.  

I do agree with the statements from earlier posts "someone that has never done it" and "someone that is not a head coach".  Hard to get the attention of other head coaches in the building when you have never sat in that chair.  By making an assistant coach an AD you have put them in a no-win situation and they have officially become the scheduler and utility man/woman.

Just my observations and by no means the gospel truth.