West Tn Class A

Intense

People got their money’s worth at the Westview tournament tonight. Gleason with a close win over Henry Co and a great game between GC and Westview. GC coach made adjustments at halftime and they came back to win. Really impressed with the hustle of GC. I haven’t seen all the Single A teams in Tennessee play but the best team I’ve seen this year is GC . Surprised at the TCA score, I really thought they might win that game 

Refs definitely didn’t cost them the game.   It was pretty clear GC was attacking the basket all night while Westviews offense is pretty much shooting jump shots and very aggressive defense.  Also thought it looked like Westview got tired late and GC kept coming.  That’s where the depth they have comes in to play.  Great game I thought.   

28 minutes ago, westtnsportsfan said:

Refs definitely didn’t cost them the game.   It was pretty clear GC was attacking the basket all night while Westviews offense is pretty much shooting jump shots and very aggressive defense.  Also thought it looked like Westview got tired late and GC kept coming.  That’s where the depth they have comes in to play.  Great game I thought.   

I thought and every one on our side thought Westview got tired. GC looked to be the better conditioned team. Thought the PG for Westview was a Beast in the first half and GC controlled her in the 2nd Half. GC allowed 8 points in the second half against Westview and 10 in the second half against Gleason the day before. You will win a lot of games with these numbers. GC has handled the ball well for the most part in the last few games as well.

9 hours ago, hoopfever said:

People got their money’s worth at the Westview tournament tonight. Gleason with a close win over Henry Co and a great game between GC and Westview. GC coach made adjustments at halftime and they came back to win. Really impressed with the hustle of GC. I haven’t seen all the Single A teams in Tennessee play but the best team I’ve seen this year is GC . Surprised at the TCA score, I really thought they might win that game 

Yes.  TCA did not play well at all.  Lot of credit goes to CC for making that happen.  Got to get better!

13 hours ago, loveofsports said:

It wasn't called both ways. No one believes the refs are calling fouls to "Appease fans" however like I said Good game for both teams. 

First time I've seen both these teams this year, had nothing better to do on Saturday lol. Just from my observation of the game, Westview has a lot of quit in them when things aren't going their way and I don't think they're as good as advertised. GC is a solid team but if you don't think they got every call from the refs idk what game you were watching. A lot of reaching, slapping and flopping going on around the basket. Now in saying that GC out played Westview in the 2nd half, GC made them quit. Just my thoughts. 

36 minutes ago, BABABA said:

First time I've seen both these teams this year, had nothing better to do on Saturday lol. Just from my observation of the game, Westview has a lot of quit in them when things aren't going their way and I don't think they're as good as advertised. GC is a solid team but if you don't think they got every call from the refs idk what game you were watching. A lot of reaching, slapping and flopping going on around the basket. Now in saying that GC out played Westview in the 2nd half, GC made them quit. Just my thoughts. 

You can accuse GC of some things but slapping and flopping is not one of them.  One of the most disciplined hard nosed defenses you will see.  Again,   Fouls aren’t suppose to be even every game.  Westview lived and died by the 3 while GC attacked all game long.  Would definitely disagree and I was there watching the same game you were. 

1 hour ago, BABABA said:

I didn't see bad officiating last night in the Gleason/Henry County game or the GC/WV game. I did see an aggressive first half Westview. I respect WV and I'm friends with a lot of the WV faithful. Over the last several years, WV has had players to make those "dagger" 3 pointers to end the opponent's run and a ball handler that could penetrate deep & dish to a dominant big girl. I'm not seeing that this year.  I wouldn't call WV quitters, but last night they couldn't find an answer to our second half intensity. I believe it'll come down between them and Crockett. If we continue playing how we are, I think we're going to be pretty good at the end. We don't panic, hustle for 4 quarters, and play GC ball. But I'll go on record now and say that I wouldn't trade Wilkins for WV's coach. I think if Wilkins had their program over the last decade, they'd have a couple of gold balls. Their coach is a good one, but we have a great one. 

Edited by SuperFan14A

4 hours ago, BABABA said:

I thought refs called a great game. Never even heard a boo from the Westview faithful. GC was in attack mode whole game. I will say this obout our girls. They play disciplined defense. Refs shouldn't call fouls just to be calling fouls. They quit attacking.

Edited by pioneer42

On 12/30/2018 at 11:32 AM, BABABA said:

First the disclaimer. I broadcast Westview as well as the other Weakley Co. teams but my daughter-in-law is an administrator in Gibson Co. & have many friends in the Pioneer faithful. That being said here are my observations:

Westview lacks the dribble drive penetration they've had the last four years with Tasia Jones. When the 3's aren't falling you have to create some offense. No one has taken over that role. Think Lady Chargers were a bit leg weary in 2nd half and it showed with long balls being short. Fouls were unbalanced in 1st half but Westview played through it with good bench play and a huge half from PG Zanasha Gadlen and held a good lead anyway. 2nd half fouls were more even.

GC depth took its toll in 2nd half with pace of game never changing and Westview unable to create offense or make 3's. GC outscored WV by 21 points at FT line and won by 6. Credit them attacking the basket. One thing I would agree with post above is "flopping." I can't agree with anyone who encourages that on defense. Two come to mind, one on a blockout on the lane on a FT, the other a post move on Reagan Johnson. Not a Physics professor but when a player goes down harder in a side-by-side position than a moving football player does after a tackle it seems pretty obvious the contact is being "sold." This practice can be assessed a technical foul by rule but is rarely done.

I vote in the AP poll and will vote Gibson Co. #1 in Class A. They are the best team in any class in West Tennessee.