Derrick Davis resigns (Polk Co.)

OldCharger

Everything boothman said is spot on. I went to one soccer game this year and was so embarrassed by the actions of these parents it was uncomfortable. I will not be back in attendance to any more games. I have played sports in a lot of environments and that was one of if not the most embarrassed for a group I have been in my life. Watching parents run up and down a sideline screaming and yelling nonsense at a state tournament game nonetheless was unbelievable behavior for grown adults. When the game ends and PC wins most of these same parents rush the field to celebrate. Was it the state championship? Of course not, it was the first round. It was such a look at me move by these parents the kids were not able to celebrate with their teammates and coaches which actually won the game because they were having to maneuver around parents. Again unbelievable actions, especially after a first round game. Luckily I didn't make it in time for the district tournament game when multiple of these parents were kicked out of the game because as you know you have to be seen as a parent. It goes back to demanding free rooms just the look at me and reward me for doing my job. Since when is doing something you are responsible for supposed to be rewarded like it was something out of the ordinary. 

I also ask the question how much money has been raised to help get the soccer field built by these parents? What would be their demand if they raised money for that, box seats at the games? I was around for the baseball field being built I witnessed first hand the amount of fundraising, time, blood, sweat, and personal money spent to build a field. I was there helping the entire time it was being built. If you want the field bad enough you can get it done and you can do it right, just look back at how nice the baseball field was  from the time it was built until 2013. 

Enough about soccer. The athletic department as a whole is in such a bad place at PC its saddening. Coaches are backed into corners into doing things they do not want to do but for a job they have to do.  I want to preface the rest of this paragraph by saying I appreciate the coaches that are there because it takes a lot to be in the positions they are in. How does a baseball program that had 5 consecutive region births with 2 region championships and a state tournament bid go to being a program that will not hire a baseball guy that wanted the job? I know someone that tried to get the job and teach in the classroom starting in  2014 but could not find a position for him, now he has been a 5 teacher multiple years in row and teaching AP Biology with a district championship under his belt at another school but couldn't find a spot for them there. There are coaches at the middle school level that never played a sport and now a middle school football program starting that had yet to ask DD for input to help the transition into high school before his resignation.

I could go on forever about DD and what he meant to me and so many others before and after me but most everyone already knows what he is about. With that said thank you DD for everything you did for that program and community.

The problem starts from the top and until something is fixed at the Central Office the community will suffer. PC is a place of Pride and should be treated as such, where coaches want to be and kids want to play hopefully one day it will return to what is should be.

• Like 1

Whew, for soccer to have nothing to do with the old ball coach leaving, some of you folks sure are riled up. Note: you can be mad without spewing mindless drivel. First of all, soccer is not set up like football. The state tournament first round winner moves to the final four in the state in their classification. So, to clarify, that win meant these same soccer girls that grew tired of being given the scraps from the table, were the most successful team at Polk county since 1983. So, yeah, it was a bigger deal that winning a first round football game. Second, ask any kid on that team if they could not celebrate with their teammates. I was on that field and it was a special atmosphere. The student section rushed the field and the parents followed. To clarify the comparison, this would be equal to the football team winning a 3rd round playoff game. Yes, the girls were one game away from playing for the state championship. So, don’t get on here and spew your ignorance and expect everyone to just sit back and believe your mindless chatter. Just like, don’t expect the peasants to keep playing on the practice field and just have the parents keep allowing these girls to be treated as second class citizens. That is not how this thing works. If you can’t accept that, then move on. The coach left. Countless genius posters on here have stated over and over that it had nothing to do with soccer. I hope they are right. That does not mean that you have to get on here and lie and spew your hate for another group of kids from the same school and county. Ultimately, if you are from Polk county, we should celebrate the success of all of our sports, right? Of course, these girls want a field of their own. At this point, that is not feasible. Until it is, they will use the football field. These kids deserve to be treated with the same benefits as any team on this campus. To be relegated to playing on the practice field was demeaning and ultimately against Title 9 laws. So, you can bemoan the administration until heck freezes over. You can get on here and spout nonsense about embarrassing parents. But, ultimately, as some of have so eloquently stated, soccer had nothing to do with the coach leaving. So, get on here and celebrate what was accomplished in the last 19 years in football. You can do that without running down a group of Polk county girls and parents that will soon be hanging and banner in the gym to commemorate a historical run to a top 4 finish in the state. Little podunk Polk county finished in the final 4 in soccer. We should all be happy, right? Not pointing fingers and trying to belittle parents for supporting their kids. If that embarrassed you, then so be it. We will be at the games, watching, yelling, encouraging, these Polk county kids without you. And, that is ok. In closing, I wish the old and the new football coach at Polk county success. There is room for all of us to hold a bright candle. I don’t have to make mine look brighter by blowing yours out. Give that a shot. It ain’t bad.

58 minutes ago, Charlie Murphy said:

As the OC, Brewer has had a front row seat to this so called "dumpster fire" of central office meddling, corruption, favoritism, etc...

Would he want the job?

Wouldn't be surprised if his brother Chad came back. It won't matter much. Program takes a big step back either way. Glad the girls soccer team is good, should keep the school really relevant in southeast Tennessee.

6 hours ago, PCPeasant said:

Whew, for soccer to have nothing to do with the old ball coach leaving, some of you folks sure are riled up. Note: you can be mad without spewing mindless drivel. First of all, soccer is not set up like football. The state tournament first round winner moves to the final four in the state in their classification. So, to clarify, that win meant these same soccer girls that grew tired of being given the scraps from the table, were the most successful team at Polk county since 1983. So, yeah, it was a bigger deal that winning a first round football game. Second, ask any kid on that team if they could not celebrate with their teammates. I was on that field and it was a special atmosphere. The student section rushed the field and the parents followed. To clarify the comparison, this would be equal to the football team winning a 3rd round playoff game. Yes, the girls were one game away from playing for the state championship. So, don’t get on here and spew your ignorance and expect everyone to just sit back and believe your mindless chatter. Just like, don’t expect the peasants to keep playing on the practice field and just have the parents keep allowing these girls to be treated as second class citizens. That is not how this thing works. If you can’t accept that, then move on. The coach left. Countless genius posters on here have stated over and over that it had nothing to do with soccer. I hope they are right. That does not mean that you have to get on here and lie and spew your hate for another group of kids from the same school and county. Ultimately, if you are from Polk county, we should celebrate the success of all of our sports, right? Of course, these girls want a field of their own. At this point, that is not feasible. Until it is, they will use the football field. These kids deserve to be treated with the same benefits as any team on this campus. To be relegated to playing on the practice field was demeaning and ultimately against Title 9 laws. So, you can bemoan the administration until heck freezes over. You can get on here and spout nonsense about embarrassing parents. But, ultimately, as some of have so eloquently stated, soccer had nothing to do with the coach leaving. So, get on here and celebrate what was accomplished in the last 19 years in football. You can do that without running down a group of Polk county girls and parents that will soon be hanging and banner in the gym to commemorate a historical run to a top 4 finish in the state. Little podunk Polk county finished in the final 4 in soccer. We should all be happy, right? Not pointing fingers and trying to belittle parents for supporting their kids. If that embarrassed you, then so be it. We will be at the games, watching, yelling, encouraging, these Polk county kids without you. And, that is ok. In closing, I wish the old and the new football coach at Polk county success. There is room for all of us to hold a bright candle. I don’t have to make mine look brighter by blowing yours out. Give that a shot. It ain’t bad.

I'm glad you described to me an 8 team single elimination tournament I couldn't for the life of me figure that out. I never compared to what this soccer team accomplished to any other team. I know the significance of what they did.

1. It had nothing to do with him leaving, if you read anything that I said it had nothing to do with soccer being the reason he left, please go reread.

2. The only reason it has people riled up were because Charlie Murphy, that seems to be in your corner about this stuff, attacked DD on here about soccer so that's something you should talk to your soccer parents about.

3. If it was such a problem to play on the practice field why was DD never asked by the coaches or the booster club of the soccer team about playing on the game field and finding a way to help him take care of the field? Seeing as he is the only one that does anything to the field.

4. If scraps are an irrigated practice field that is maintained just like the game field those are some pretty darn good scraps.

5. What this group of people trying to make this resignation about soccer is doing is taking away the accomplishment of the team by forcing the focus not on soccer. So if any one is belittling what they did it's the ones forcing this narrative because it takes away from them. 

6. I cannot wrap my head around you actually backing up the parents rushing the field. And only doing so because the students did is crazy so following suit of high schoolers makes sense for the parents? Does that sound crazy to only me or what? A parent should never repeat NEVER go on a field or playing surface unless they are a medical professional and are assisting a potentially serious injury. I don't care what the circumstances are. Learn how to support in some other manner if you think that is acceptable.

10 hours ago, PCPeasant said:

Also why is a field not feasible what are the things that are keeping the field from being built?

Whew, for soccer to have nothing to do with the old ball coach leaving, some of you folks sure are riled up. Note: you can be mad without spewing mindless drivel. First of all, soccer is not set up like football. The state tournament first round winner moves to the final four in the state in their classification. So, to clarify, that win meant these same soccer girls that grew tired of being given the scraps from the table, were the most successful team at Polk county since 1983. So, yeah, it was a bigger deal that winning a first round football game. Second, ask any kid on that team if they could not celebrate with their teammates. I was on that field and it was a special atmosphere. The student section rushed the field and the parents followed. To clarify the comparison, this would be equal to the football team winning a 3rd round playoff game. Yes, the girls were one game away from playing for the state championship. So, don’t get on here and spew your ignorance and expect everyone to just sit back and believe your mindless chatter. Just like, don’t expect the peasants to keep playing on the practice field and just have the parents keep allowing these girls to be treated as second class citizens. That is not how this thing works. If you can’t accept that, then move on. The coach left. Countless genius posters on here have stated over and over that it had nothing to do with soccer. I hope they are right. That does not mean that you have to get on here and lie and spew your hate for another group of kids from the same school and county. Ultimately, if you are from Polk county, we should celebrate the success of all of our sports, right? Of course, these girls want a field of their own. At this point, that is not feasible. Until it is, they will use the football field. These kids deserve to be treated with the same benefits as any team on this campus. To be relegated to playing on the practice field was demeaning and ultimately against Title 9 laws. So, you can bemoan the administration until heck freezes over. You can get on here and spout nonsense about embarrassing parents. But, ultimately, as some of have so eloquently stated, soccer had nothing to do with the coach leaving. So, get on here and celebrate what was accomplished in the last 19 years in football. You can do that without running down a group of Polk county girls and parents that will soon be hanging and banner in the gym to commemorate a historical run to a top 4 finish in the state. Little podunk Polk county finished in the final 4 in soccer. We should all be happy, right? Not pointing fingers and trying to belittle parents for supporting their kids. If that embarrassed you, then so be it. We will be at the games, watching, yelling, encouraging, these Polk county kids without you. And, that is ok. In closing, I wish the old and the new football coach at Polk county success. There is room for all of us to hold a bright candle. I don’t have to make mine look brighter by blowing yours out. Give that a shot. It ain’t bad

No need to re-read your ramblings. I have spent more time than intended on this. If you can’t figure out how it is not feasible to build a soccer field, then your vocabulary and writings are a smoke screen to hide your true deficiencies. Therefore, I choose not to engage  further. But, thanks for teaching all of us field etiquette. That was very helpful. 

9 minutes ago, PCPeasant said:

No need to re-read your ramblings. I have spent more time than intended on this. If you can’t figure out how it is not feasible to build a soccer field, then your vocabulary and writings are a smoke screen to hide your true deficiencies. Therefore, I choose not to engage  further. But, thanks for teaching all of us field etiquette. That was very helpful. 

There nothing but pride for the soccer team an their accomplishment. It’s the parents that want everything for nothing and have the administrations “ear” that are frustrating. This thread has nothing to do with Coach Davis resigning he’s is a good coach always will be as well as his father. Both have done more for PCHS that anyone involved in this bantering. Enough said

36 minutes ago, PCPeasant said:

You choose not to engage further to stop digging yourself a bigger hole, nothing else. You tried to diminish the legacy of a good man and football coach and you were soundly defeated by reason and facts. Go continue to live in your fantasy land playing victim that these girls are treated differently because that is a flat out false. You have diminished what the group of girls were able to accomplish by pushing false narratives that took the attention away from them. Congratulations.

Also you're welcome for the etiquette now try to put it to use.

Edited by DumpyRhino12

19 minutes ago, Fiberoptic said:

There nothing but pride for the soccer team an their accomplishment. It’s the parents that want everything for nothing and have the administrations “ear” that are frustrating. This thread has nothing to do with Coach Davis resigning he’s is a good coach always will be as well as his father. Both have done more for PCHS that anyone involved in this bantering. Enough said

"want everything for nothing"... ? I think the soccer parents probably  pay taxes that support that high school and it's facilities, just like the football parents. derrick davis doesn't own that field. And why wouldn't you want each student athlete to have the best available, whether its equipment, facilities, etc. Why?

Edited by Charlie Murphy