Derrick Davis resigns (Polk Co.)

OldCharger

3 minutes ago, Charlie Murphy said:

"want everything for nothing"... ? I think the soccer parents probably  pay taxes that support that high school and it's facilities, just like the football parents. derrick davis doesn't own that field. And why wouldn't you want each student athlete to have the best available, whether its equipment, facilities, etc. Why?

Don't always assume that the school system or taxes pay for football facilities.  Its not the case in South Pittsburg. Soccer needs a field that seats about 25 people on each side anyway.

3 minutes ago, Charlie Murphy said:

"want everything for nothing"... ? I think the soccer parents probably  pay taxes that support that high school and it's facilities, just like the football parents. derrick davis doesn't own that field. And why wouldn't you want each student athlete to have the best available, whether its equipment, facilities, etc. Why?

Don’t disagree an earlier poster comment the baseball field was built with donations sweat blood etc. Has that happened for the wanted soccer field? If I read correctly no baseball booster went whining to say give me anything. They did what was needed and desired and built a beautiful facility. 

I think some money has been raised toward a soccer field. But if you know anything about the condition of some of the Polk County schools, it doesn't really make sense for the balance of any money needed to be put toward a new sports facility when there is a perfectly acceptable option already in place that meets the title 9 requirements. And there is no reason to not use the football field, it hurts no one! Well, almost no one.

8 minutes ago, Charlie Murphy said:

I think some money has been raised toward a soccer field. But if you know anything about the condition of some of the Polk County schools, it doesn't really make sense for the balance of any money needed to be put toward a new sports facility when there is a perfectly acceptable option already in place that meets the title 9 requirements. And there is no reason to not use the football field, it hurts no one! Well, almost no one.

Football surfaces don't upkeep themselves.  How many extra games and wear and tear would soccer season do to the facilities.  What about running the lights?  Soccer fields are roughly 7 yards wider than a football field which may or may not be an issue.

9 minutes ago, Charlie Murphy said:

I didn’t see in the earlier post about any county funds going towards the baseball field. I was raised to work for what I needed. I have no issue with title 9. I read also in an earlier post that a regulation soccer field is larger that a football field of this I have no clue. If that’s the case does any football field satisfy as title 9 acceptable?

23 minutes ago, Charlie Murphy said:

If you raise enough money in the soccer booster club you can build Wembley Stadium and no one can say a word to you. But that would also require this group of parents to do something other than Google Title IX. 

So to answer rlh there were 8 or 9 girls games this included hosting district, region, and substate, The boys are just ramping up the team so I think they played 2 - 3 home games. I have heard "wear and tear" as a reason, however the practice field, which I believe is the same grass seems to not have an issue with wear, and it has 3-4 practices per week, plus the soccer games. So I think the actual field could handle 6 football games and soccer.

Fiberoptic.. I don't know if there is space for a soccer field, without purchasing land. As for the title 9 question, maybe a field is required and the football field use was an interim accommodation, I don't know. But I think there is space within the fence, when you consider sideline area, to accommodate the soccer size.

And with that, I have nothing else to add to this conversation. I look forward to supporting the football team with whoever the new coach is, just like I have for the past 19 years. When an announcement is made, I look forward to a discussion regarding the selection.

Edited by Charlie Murphy

Whew, for soccer to have nothing to do with the old ball coach leaving, some of you folks sure are riled up. Note: you can be mad without spewing mindless drivel. First of all, soccer is not set up like football. The state tournament first round winner moves to the final four in the state in their classification. So, to clarify, that win meant these same soccer girls that grew tired of being given the scraps from the table, were the most successful team at Polk county since 1983. So, yeah, it was a bigger deal that winning a first round football game. Second, ask any kid on that team if they could not celebrate with their teammates. I was on that field and it was a special atmosphere. The student section rushed the field and the parents followed. To clarify the comparison, this would be equal to the football team winning a 3rd round playoff game. Yes, the girls were one game away from playing for the state championship. So, don’t get on here and spew your ignorance and expect everyone to just sit back and believe your mindless chatter. Just like, don’t expect the peasants to keep playing on the practice field and just have the parents keep allowing these girls to be treated as second class citizens. That is not how this thing works. If you can’t accept that, then move on. The coach left. Countless genius posters on here have stated over and over that it had nothing to do with soccer. I hope they are right. That does not mean that you have to get on here and lie and spew your hate for another group of kids from the same school and county. Ultimately, if you are from Polk county, we should celebrate the success of all of our sports, right? Of course, these girls want a field of their own. At this point, that is not feasible. Until it is, they will use the football field. These kids deserve to be treated with the same benefits as any team on this campus. To be relegated to playing on the practice field was demeaning and ultimately against Title 9 laws. So, you can bemoan the administration until heck freezes over. You can get on here and spout nonsense about embarrassing parents. But, ultimately, as some of have so eloquently stated, soccer had nothing to do with the coach leaving. So, get on here and celebrate what was accomplished in the last 19 years in football. You can do that without running down a group of Polk county girls and parents that will soon be hanging and banner in the gym to commemorate a historical run to a top 4 finish in the state. Little podunk Polk county finished in the final 4 in soccer. We should all be happy, right? Not pointing fingers and trying to belittle parents for supporting their kids. If that embarrassed you, then so be it. We will be at the games, watching, yelling, encouraging, these Polk county kids without you. And, that is ok. In closing, I wish the old and the new football coach at Polk county success. There is room for all of us to hold a bright candle. I don’t have to make mine look brighter by blowing yours out. Give that a shot. It ain’t bad

17 minutes ago, Charlie Murphy said:

So to answer rlh there were 8 or 9 girls games this included hosting district, region, and substate, The boys are just ramping up the team so I think they played 2 - 3 home games. I have heard "wear and tear" as a reason, however the practice field, which I believe is the same grass seems to not have an issue with wear, and it has 3-4 practices per week, plus the soccer games. So I think the actual field could handle 6 football games and soccer.

Fiberoptic.. I don't know if there is space for a soccer field, without purchasing land. As for the title 9 question, maybe a field is required and the football field use was an interim accommodation, I don't know. But I think there is space within the fence, when you consider sideline area, to accommodate the soccer size.

And with that, I have nothing else to add to this conversation. I look forward to supporting the football team with whoever the new coach is, just like I have for the past 19 years. When an announcement is made, I look forward to a discussion regarding the selection.

What about the land that is already purchased? Is there not enough room for a soccer field on the farm behind the sports complex as well as a school and any other field you would like to build? Because I'm pretty confident that the answer to those questions is a resounding yes.

Again another one with no more comment because facts and truth prevail. Funny how that works.

5 minutes ago, PCPeasant said:

Whew, for soccer to have nothing to do with the old ball coach leaving, some of you folks sure are riled up. Note: you can be mad without spewing mindless drivel. First of all, soccer is not set up like football. The state tournament first round winner moves to the final four in the state in their classification. So, to clarify, that win meant these same soccer girls that grew tired of being given the scraps from the table, were the most successful team at Polk county since 1983. So, yeah, it was a bigger deal that winning a first round football game. Second, ask any kid on that team if they could not celebrate with their teammates. I was on that field and it was a special atmosphere. The student section rushed the field and the parents followed. To clarify the comparison, this would be equal to the football team winning a 3rd round playoff game. Yes, the girls were one game away from playing for the state championship. So, don’t get on here and spew your ignorance and expect everyone to just sit back and believe your mindless chatter. Just like, don’t expect the peasants to keep playing on the practice field and just have the parents keep allowing these girls to be treated as second class citizens. That is not how this thing works. If you can’t accept that, then move on. The coach left. Countless genius posters on here have stated over and over that it had nothing to do with soccer. I hope they are right. That does not mean that you have to get on here and lie and spew your hate for another group of kids from the same school and county. Ultimately, if you are from Polk county, we should celebrate the success of all of our sports, right? Of course, these girls want a field of their own. At this point, that is not feasible. Until it is, they will use the football field. These kids deserve to be treated with the same benefits as any team on this campus. To be relegated to playing on the practice field was demeaning and ultimately against Title 9 laws. So, you can bemoan the administration until heck freezes over. You can get on here and spout nonsense about embarrassing parents. But, ultimately, as some of have so eloquently stated, soccer had nothing to do with the coach leaving. So, get on here and celebrate what was accomplished in the last 19 years in football. You can do that without running down a group of Polk county girls and parents that will soon be hanging and banner in the gym to commemorate a historical run to a top 4 finish in the state. Little podunk Polk county finished in the final 4 in soccer. We should all be happy, right? Not pointing fingers and trying to belittle parents for supporting their kids. If that embarrassed you, then so be it. We will be at the games, watching, yelling, encouraging, these Polk county kids without you. And, that is ok. In closing, I wish the old and the new football coach at Polk county success. There is room for all of us to hold a bright candle. I don’t have to make mine look brighter by blowing yours out. Give that a shot. It ain’t bad

CTRL C and CTRL V you have mastered. Congrats

• Upvote 1

Ahh, your arrogance makes me laugh. You are right. I bow to the presence of your massive intellect. I feel so defeated. Whatever will I do??? I think I will refer to a Mark Twain quote “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience”. Enjoy your victory, you intellectual giant you... as smart as you obviously are, it is shocking that you think I said even one negative thing about the football coach. Again, thank you for taking the time to grovel with the intellectually challenged peasants. I am honored to have been part of this discussion. Thank you!!!

3 minutes ago, PCPeasant said:

Ahh, your arrogance makes me laugh. You are right. I bow to the presence of your massive intellect. I feel so defeated. Whatever will I do??? I think I will refer to a Mark Twain quote “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience”. Enjoy your victory, you intellectual giant you... as smart as you obviously are, it is shocking that you think I said even one negative thing about the football coach. Again, thank you for taking the time to grovel with the intellectually challenged peasants. I am honored to have been part of this discussion. Thank you!!!

I don't think I mentioned my intelligence once the only person that did that was you. I said facts beat you I did nothing other than state those facts it has nothing to do with my intelligence. But continue to think what you want and hide from the truth.