Derrick Davis resigns (Polk Co.)

OldCharger

9 minutes ago, ValleyTroll said:

If you think soccer had anything to do with this, you’re as misinformed as I thought. I’m sure you would like to think it did, but once again you’re wrong. Nothing other than the administration in central office is the reason he left. Go back to the soccer threads with the other 8 people that care about that sport. Be careful what you wish for. I was here the last time a Davis left this program. That didn’t end well.

Glad someone said it. Soccer definitely wasn't the issue. 

5 minutes ago, ValleyTroll said:

Look for them to hire the current offensive coordinator, Rusty Brewer. I don’t think the school system is in financial condition to go after another head coach.

Definitely not financially stable to go after a big time coach. And I agree I think Brewer would take the job if offered and wish him well if he does take it. 

5 hours ago, Blaster7 said:

Hate to see him go was a great coach was a freshman his first year and after I graduated I started running the chains for him. Like I said great coach and even better friend. I have the out most respect for Derrick he is definitely going to be missed. Polk is heading in a rough patch I fear. 

What kind of mess is this? If that Davis man would have shaved that mustache he wouldnt have had to quit.  I garuntee you if he coaches somewhere else they will make him shave that nappy looking moustache.  You think im joking but im not. 

50 minutes ago, Roy Dillard said:

What kind of mess is this? If that Davis man would have shaved that mustache he wouldnt have had to quit.  I garuntee you if he coaches somewhere else they will make him shave that nappy looking moustache.  You think im joking but im not. 

Not funny anymore Roy. Coach Davis will be sorely missed and it is a shame he was put in a situation where he chose to resign rather than have to continue to deal with upper admin. meddling. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ValleyTroll said:

If you think soccer had anything to do with this, you’re as misinformed as I thought. I’m sure you would like to think it did, but once again you’re wrong. Nothing other than the administration in central office is the reason he left. Go back to the soccer threads with the other 8 people that care about that sport. Be careful what you wish for. I was here the last time a Davis left this program. That didn’t end well.

Great Post!

Anyone close to the program or someone from the outside know this is only the truth.

Let's follow ole Chuck posts during this process. It will be interesting........NOT!

I am not sure of any of the reported soccer issues not the exact problems with the Head Office Administration. I do know Derrick Davis.......Loved his alma-mater, coached his kids hard, got more out of them then they will ever know, well respected among his peers and absolutely one of the classy coaches around. You do not have to win state championships to be a great coach. Did he make a mistake or two along the way, probably so. Passionate leaders sometimes do but most often adapt and change to the new standard. I think he was past the issue with the soccer team. Administration might have been another story.

I agree with Rusty Brewer being a good fit as replacement. Polk needs a Polk guy.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Charger64 said:

Great Post!

Anyone close to the program or someone from the outside know this is only the truth.

Let's follow ole Chuck posts during this process. It will be interesting........NOT!

I am not sure of any of the reported soccer issues not the exact problems with the Head Office Administration. I do know Derrick Davis.......Loved his alma-mater, coached his kids hard, got more out of them then they will ever know, well respected among his peers and absolutely one of the classy coaches around. You do not have to win state championships to be a great coach. Did he make a mistake or two along the way, probably so. Passionate leaders sometimes do but most often adapt and change to the new standard. I think he was past the issue with the soccer team. Administration might have been another story.

I agree with Rusty Brewer being a good fit as replacement. Polk needs a Polk guy.

Very well said as well. 

You are correct, following my posts will not be of any interest to you, because I deal in reality. I guess he got "past the issue with the soccer team" after the season, since he never attended a game. Not district championship, not region championship, not sub state game, not at state semi finals. ..and for those folks that aren't aware, his daughter plays on the soccer team.

that's a pretty sorry man in my book

Edited by Charlie Murphy

30 minutes ago, Charlie Murphy said:

You are correct, following my posts will not be of any interest to you, because I deal in reality. I guess he got "past the issue with the soccer team" after the season, since he never attended a game. Not district championship, not region championship, not sub state game, not at state semi finals. ..and for those folks that aren't aware, his daughter plays on the soccer team.

that's a pretty sorry man in my book

Here you go people. A guy that truly doesn’t get it. Head coaches across the country miss things with their family and friends to pour into the young men on their team. That’s what makes them so special and unique. If I recall, all these soccer event took place right at the end of football season, while Coach Davis probably was preparing his team for district games and a playoff game. That doesn’t make him “sorry”. A sorry man is one that hides behind a keyboard and bashes a man’s character on a day that the rest of the community is celebrating the end of his era with their program. “Losers assemble in small groups and complain about others”. So you and your group keep “dealing in reality” (LOL) while the rest of the community sits around and laughs and waits to see what idiotic thing you complain about next.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ValleyTroll said:

Here you go people. A guy that truly doesn’t get it. Head coaches across the country miss things with their family and friends to pour into the young men on their team. That’s what makes them so special and unique. If I recall, all these soccer event took place right at the end of football season, while Coach Davis probably was preparing his team for district games and a playoff game. That doesn’t make him “sorry”. A sorry man is one that hides behind a keyboard and bashes a man’s character on a day that the rest of the community is celebrating the end of his era with their program. “Losers assemble in small groups and complain about others”. So you and your group keep “dealing in reality” (LOL) while the rest of the community sits around and laughs and waits to see what idiotic thing you complain about next.

Yep had coaching duties being the Head coach. Many good coaches miss family events and their own kids playing.  Heck my dad missed some of my games when I got older because he was coaching and I had younger siblings playing sports. But that's just unbelievable to bash a man that put his heart and soul into that program. Somewhere along the lines your feelings must've got hurt Murphy or you're in with the upper management that could care less about the athletics at that school. 

Edited by Blaster7