Derrick Davis resigns (Polk Co.)

OldCharger

On 1/8/2019 at 3:47 PM, 6+4+3=2 said:

YOU people can’t let it go…Derrick is living rent free in your heads. 

Would you like to talk about a couple parents dancing on the P at midfield while lining off the football field laughing because they had achieved their goal of using the field, but you all claim to support all athletics. 

No one is talking bad about the girls everyone is proud of their accomplishments and it was a great season.

As for the small group of parents being an embarrassment that is 100% correct. I find it repulsive to see grown men and women screaming and yelling at opposing teams’ kids and in some instances making fun of their physical appearance and athletic performance on the field. I was there to see this happen numerous times and parents yelling at the opposing student body and fans who were there to support their team just like ours is nothing to be proud of yet some of these men would give each other high fives and laugh. I saw firsthand when an opposing player tried to kick a rolling ball and missed these same dads laughed and made fun of her. 

Charlie Murphy was thrown out of a game along with a member of the central office staff who was mentioned earlier in another post, and it was sickening! Our very own Charlie Murphy then asks the principal (game administrator) if he can go down to the field and have his say to the officials since he was being removed. I believe it was during this same game where these same parents were heckling a girl on the other team and Polk’s coach who was standing outside the fence with her two small children had to turn to some of the fans and tell them to not get personal. These are a small number of our fans, but it makes ALL of Polk athletics and fans look terrible. 

What narcissistic dad would go raise money for the soccer team that his daughter plays on then demand that his family’s hotel room be paid for out of these donations? Wonder if all the people that contributed would have done so if they knew some of their money was being spent on this guy’s hotel room. I won’t mention names, it was actually two different parents, but this is TRUE it happened sadly enough!!

PCPeasant, let’s clear up a false claim in your first ever post which gave me a headache trying to read. Last year’s soccer team had a great year, and everyone is very proud of them but they are not the most successful team since '83. In 1986 Polk baseball went to the final four and got beat by Unicoi County on a 7th inning home run at Cleveland State. Did they get a banner? I also don’t remember seeing one parent rush the field to celebrate making it to the final four they waited on Coach Dixon to meet with players and then congratulate the kids when they came out from the dugout and left the field. In 2011 no parents rushed the field when baseball went to the state.

I’m shocked that your referring to these girls as peasants and they were treated as second class citizens. This is a lie that you and others are trying to get people to believe. Even though these girls played on the practice field it was better than what football and baseball played on for many years. The football field was redone after the 1986 season and baseball played at the show barn and eventually in the early 90’s moved to the middle school field both of which is terrible. Rocks were everywhere, and the outfield had clumps of grass that players turned their ankles on and we can’t forget the Kudzu in right field where balls would get lost if it wasn’t mowed. Also, little league football used this field to practice and the fair was held there every year.

You say we should celebrate all sports success if so then why are some of these parents so happy to see football fail and make no mistake losing Coach Davis is not a win for our sports program or community and neither is hiring unqualified coaches to coach sports they don’t know anything about. 

Your bright candle looks more like a torch and Coach Davis was tied to the stake. He is gone now, and this small group of parents are still making up usernames on football forums to keep fanning the flames their torch lit!!

The only way we can be successful is to stand together for the future of all Polk athletics and demand that coaches are hired based on achievement and knowledge of the game they are coaching.

Congratulation to the 2018 PCHS girls soccer team and coaches you are all winners in my book!

We all know what happened. Derrick Davis will be GREATLY missed at Polk County. I don't blame the guy one bit for not wanting soccer to use the game field that HE works on, lines off, and maintains. Mr. Culpepper (AKA Charlie Murphy) got on here bashing Derrick. Most of us that know Derrick through football don't pay attention to it. He needs to go to the soccer boards. Like I said, we all know EXACTLY what happened and those at the core of the problem.

• 3 weeks later...