Williamson County

Williamson Co schools board policy 6.2052 mentions that students are assigned to certain schools based upon transportation zones. But goes on to say that students wishing to attend another school within the district have to request such and such from the district. In a true closed zone district you must attend the school you are assigned and no students from outside the district are allowed to attend. A school system is considered open zone when students are allowed to attend schools other than their assigned schools. This is the case in Williamson Co. 

20 minutes ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Williamson Co schools board policy 6.2052 mentions that students are assigned to certain schools based upon transportation zones. But goes on to say that students wishing to attend another school within the district have to request such and such from the district. In a true closed zone district you must attend the school you are assigned and no students from outside the district are allowed to attend. A school system is considered open zone when students are allowed to attend schools other than their assigned schools. This is the case in Williamson Co. 

There are only certain exceptions in which students can go out of zone. For example, Franklin High has an IB program, so if you are accepted into that, you may attend Franklin High. (Not Many Athletes) Oakland High in Rutherford has that also. It's very rare in which a school can get a student that is not in the zone. There are always exceptions such as: a parent working for the school, a sibling that was grandfathered, or a certain program that other schools don't have. To my knowledge, any closed zone school system will have similar exceptions in which certain students with certain circumstances can attend, but it's rare. For the most part, you have to attend the High School in your zone. Totally different dynamic than rural areas.  

1 hour ago, MidStateFan1 said:

There are only certain exceptions in which students can go out of zone. For example, Franklin High has an IB program, so if you are accepted into that, you may attend Franklin High. (Not Many Athletes) Oakland High in Rutherford has that also. It's very rare in which a school can get a student that is not in the zone. There are always exceptions such as: a parent working for the school, a sibling that was grandfathered, or a certain program that other schools don't have. To my knowledge, any closed zone school system will have similar exceptions in which certain students with certain circumstances can attend, but it's rare. For the most part, you have to attend the High School in your zone. Totally different dynamic than rural areas.  

I understand what you are saying but the policies still allow for it. Although it may be rare Williamson co is still open zone. 

7 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

Yes there are 9 high schools. And they all have zone. But read your board policies. Students from outside the zone can attend. That makes Williamson Co schools an open zone school district. 

Only certain schools are opened zones to relieve overcrowding at other schools.  For example Page kids can go to Centennial but not vice versa.  

8 hours ago, BIGPURPLEMACHINE said:

I understand what you are saying but the policies still allow for it. Although it may be rare Williamson co is still open zone. 

You either are or you're not... all schools are "open zone" until their respective board of control votes otherwise. Any and all exceptions to being totally closed designate you as open zone. BPM knows his stuff!

• Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 12:39 PM, MidStateFan1 said:

I know a little about the IB program and while it is a good academic program it's not a super rigorous program.  It was established for the military base schools so that when parents were reassigned from one base to another base the children were all being taught the same material.  The IB program is no where close to being as difficult as the honors program at The McCallie School or Harpeth Hall.