TN 8th grader wins NCAA college open

durdon

10 hours ago, Baylorfanwres said:

This is great for Cody and TN wrestling. I wish he could have wrestled in the Midlands or the Southern Scuffle to see how he matches up against real college wrestlers. Is this open tournament new? I can not seem to find past results on it. 

What are real college wrestlers ?

His team has not beat your team in 10 years so why the shot at this accomplishment ? I sure if you took the time to check niether the Midlands or the Scuffle allow any high school students in there tournaments. 

Maybe just maybe years later we can sit back and brag to everyone that he wrestled in Tennessee. 

Edited by PaulSimpson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, PaulSimpson said:

What are real college wrestlers ?

His team has not beat your team in 10 years so why the shot at this accomplishment accomplishment ? I sure if you took the time to check niether the Midlands or the Scuffle allow any high school students in there tournaments. 

Maybe just maybe years later we can sit back and brag to everyone that he wrestled in Tennessee. 

No reason to brag that he wrestled in TN because he will not be! Sorry it might be just my opinion but he will be a Blair wrestler not a TN wrestler, it would be like saying Leen was a Oklahoma wrestler since he grew up there and wrestled there before having to move here because of his dad coaching UTC. Cody will be a Blair wrestler when he starts there because he moved there to wrestle(since Blairs academic rating is actually lower than McCallie and about four to five Atlanta private schools). Good for him on being good enough to take the opportunity to wrestle for a national powerhouse, but with that he will be one of them, I will cheer him on either way, but whenever I hear TN wrestler I will more think of one sitting at Baylor right now that had a chance of moving to a bigger wrestling school but chose to stay at Baylor instead and devote his years in state schools. Good luck to Cody, but I am more interested in keeping up with kids that stay to make TN a better wrestling state. Also there was one familiar name on his bracket at the College open. Dymond Smith a state champ from I think Pigeon Forge in A/AA.

Baylor fan made his profile yesterday and started taking shots at multiple kids and teams on different post.  Not sure who his team is as I am sure it is not Baylor as he took shots at those kids as well.

Good job Cody as you are a good kid and your family has done good things for TN wrestling.  There will always be haters, so who cares what they say or think.  

Edited by BQ125
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cobrakid8 said:

No reason to brag that he wrestled in TN because he will not be! Sorry it might be just my opinion but he will be a Blair wrestler not a TN wrestler, it would be like saying Leen was a Oklahoma wrestler since he grew up there and wrestled there before having to move here because of his dad coaching UTC. Cody will be a Blair wrestler when he starts there because he moved there to wrestle(since Blairs academic rating is actually lower than McCallie and about four to five Atlanta private schools). Good for him on being good enough to take the opportunity to wrestle for a national powerhouse, but with that he will be one of them, I will cheer him on either way, but whenever I hear TN wrestler I will more think of one sitting at Baylor right now that had a chance of moving to a bigger wrestling school but chose to stay at Baylor instead and devote his years in state schools. Good luck to Cody, but I am more interested in keeping up with kids that stay to make TN a better wrestling state. Also there was one familiar name on his bracket at the College open. Dymond Smith a state champ from I think Pigeon Forge in A/AA.

Where would I be able to find these academic rankings that you refer to when you say that Blair is ranked below McCallie?

29 minutes ago, cbg said:

Where would I be able to find these academic rankings that you refer to when you say that Blair is ranked below McCallie?

Very easy you can google about anything. But niche.com does a very good job of rankings by college prep. There isn’t much of a difference like McCallie is 265 and Blair is 276 or something like that, of course there are also twice as many students at McCallie which would make it harder for it to maintain its academic standards, while also being an all boys school while Blair is not.  Of course there are 3 I think in Atlanta ranked in the top 100 of private schools. Lovett, Pace and Westminster

9 hours ago, DAKEKO said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Per the National Federation Of High School Sports a student may not reach their 19th birthday before September 1 if they wish to participate in athletics.  So for a student athlete to be eligible their senior year they may not turn 19 before September 1 that year.  What I have witnessed the past 15  years is student athletes turning 19 after January 1 and for most it was March-June.  The earliest that I have witnessed a high school student athlete turning 19 was in November.  

So.....because he was an 8th grader last year also,  he can't compete this year again as an 8th grader,  so he is wrestling opens?   Is that the understanding of the rule?

Also,  This is not the first year of the Open,  in some previous years it had different sponsorships...I think this is the 3rd or 4th year of it.  

Opens....Open to all

Midlands/Scuffle- Special permission to compete (invite)....I only know of 1 non D1 ever to compete at Scuffle.  

On 1/5/2019 at 11:29 PM, mat73557 said:

"Real college wrestlers."  What an idiotic thing to say.  

Amen...I have been to opens with "D1" guys and a lot that are at that level have no business.   BTW toward the midwest,  the Opens for DI means you typically are the redshirts or the backups.