Cleveland vs Bradley

DaBears1976

I really hate to agree with Winnie Pooh1976 here, but anyone who thinks Cleveland's success isn't based on MONEY then you have your head in the sand or somewhere else where the sun doesn't shine.  Bosken is a big part of their success but without Bosken earning a nice salary from Jones, Bosken wouldn't be able to put in the time he does.  If there was no Bosken in Cleveland, there would be someone else earning that salary and coaching those kids to success.  There are many wrestling coaches around the state who put in countless hours and have success on a smaller level.  The only thing preventing them to have the same success and notoriety as HCWC (and the spillover to high school) is the almighty $$$. 

When the HCWC machine needs something to take its program up a notch, a check is written.  Other programs have to claw and scrape to get those same next level needs.  For example, when a team wants to travel to national tournaments with a large group of kids, It might take the less fortunate several years to raise money to buy a bus for travel, hotel rooms, entry fees, etc. etc. etc, when Cleveland decided it was easier and more effective to haul everyone on a bus, they got a bus.  If you are HCWC and want to grow your program...write a check and put up a billboard!  Don't have space for everyone...write a check build a state of the art wrestling facility.  Need additional coaches...write a check.  Have lesser fortunate kids who need gear...write a check.  Need to get stronger...write a check and get new weight equipment.  Need more exposure....write a check and get live steaming and social media.  

1 hour ago, ObserverW said:

I really hate to agree with Winnie Pooh1976 here, but anyone who thinks Cleveland's success isn't based on MONEY then you have your head in the sand or somewhere else where the sun doesn't shine.  Bosken is a big part of their success but without Bosken earning a nice salary from Jones, Bosken wouldn't be able to put in the time he does.  If there was no Bosken in Cleveland, there would be someone else earning that salary and coaching those kids to success.  There are many wrestling coaches around the state who put in countless hours and have success on a smaller level.  The only thing preventing them to have the same success and notoriety as HCWC (and the spillover to high school) is the almighty $$$. 

When the HCWC machine needs something to take its program up a notch, a check is written.  Other programs have to claw and scrape to get those same next level needs.  For example, when a team wants to travel to national tournaments with a large group of kids, It might take the less fortunate several years to raise money to buy a bus for travel, hotel rooms, entry fees, etc. etc. etc, when Cleveland decided it was easier and more effective to haul everyone on a bus, they got a bus.  If you are HCWC and want to grow your program...write a check and put up a billboard!  Don't have space for everyone...write a check build a state of the art wrestling facility.  Need additional coaches...write a check.  Have lesser fortunate kids who need gear...write a check.  Need to get stronger...write a check and get new weight equipment.  Need more exposure....write a check and get live steaming and social media.  

Don't like agreeing with someone who doesn't know much about wrestling, but you're 100 % correct. Wether the fairweather fans wants to admit it or not, Cleveland has been about money for a while. Bout the only thing he is right on is how lazy our pride coaches and such has become about going out getting and keeping our talent. Jones pays for 90 or more percent on every single trip they take out of town. Pays for everything. Got or gets Bradley a bus? I remember 2 years ago when we won state, we followed them fellers back to Bradley in a old yeller beat down smoking school bus... Jones donates to Bradley and county schools, but it's not even a hair compared to what Cleveland and HC gets. Without Jones, their would be not even a half what you see at Cleveland right now. Until Pride can come up with something to get the top notch kids back and staying, HC will always be the go to place for Cleveland and whoever else can pull them away. It's really mind boggling that Cleveland fans really think their success is only based on that school with no other kind of help. 

• Upvote 1

What about the other AAA teams that are better than Bradley? I guess u can blame that on money too lol. Nobody is scared of Bradley anymore, they don’t intimidate ppl anymore, other schools are working their butts off and not relying on a tradition to stay on top. You didn’t answer my question about Jones paying for Logsdons pay check just to come back to coach pride because the youth program had gotten so bad. Money only gets u so far.

Well - Foose & DaBears are both right in their own way... 

Bosken is at HCWC because Jones funded HCWC from the ground floor. Jones is a major funder for Bradley/Pride Wrestling (but not nearly as much as Cleveland/HCWC). 

Kids are moving to Cleveland from various places to be part of HCWC & the Cleveland program, but not all HCWC kids end up at Cleveland. 

Bradley dominated the state for nearly 10-15 years & they had the best kids club in the state for most of that period of time. HCWC has replaced them in that capacity. 

Because of how well funded HCWC is, Cleveland looks to be in control for the foreseeable future. Their resources (including $$$ which funds Bosken, buses, travel cost, etc.) simply will make it nearly impossible for any public school to compete with them. So while I agree that Bosken likely will not be outworked, but he wouldn’t have the opportunity without the funding. 

7 hours ago, DaBears1976 said:

Bout the only thing he is right on is how lazy our pride coaches and such has become about going out getting and keeping our talent.

Who are our Pride coaches, DaBears1976? Or, Mr. Goodman, I presume. And, since you know so much about Pride, who are they and on what levels do each of them focus on? Pride Wrestling Club encompasses all levels of our program: Kids, MS, and HS...just like most wrestling clubs do. So, you're painting w/ a very wide brush w/ the above statement. 

The phrase "going out (and) getting" athletes, to me, refers to recruiting athletes from other programs and coaches. Surely, that's not the way you want things done here? B/c if so, I missed that memo or meeting. And, that's not the way we want to do business at Pride, LF, or BC. Now, if you're referencing purchasing local billboards, running ads in local papers, handing out flyers at football games, renting booths at block parties/fall festivals, doing social media pushes, etc...we've been doing that for as long as I've been around for our Kids Program. What other suggestions do you have? We had over 50 kids sign-up this year and had to turn nearly 20 away due to lack of space and safety concern. Now, "keeping our talent"...perhaps. Hence the change at the top of our kids program w/ Coach Logsdon. We recognized it and have put a plan in action to stop the potential bleeding. And, I assure you, Coach Logsdon is more than just a name. Give him time and we'll be just fine. He's yet to finish his first year. Just because we don't blast or paste every little practice, trip, or tournament a wrestler or team full of wrestlers of ours takes, doesn't mean that they're not out there working and competing. In the words of Coach Logsdon and Coach Jackson, we prefer to just paddle our own canoe. If our backs deserve to be patted, we prefer others to pat them...not ourselves. 

Now, Pride MS or HS Coaches being lazy? That's the farthest from a fact and just plan offensive. Any given weekend in March, April, May, and/or June you can find a contingent of Pride wrestlers and coaches at just about any TNUSAW event. We support ALL TNUSAW events and even host one...the Keller Classic...have for years now. You should check it out. We've had very high if not the highest number of entrants in just about all TNUSAW sanctioned events for several years now. And, that's not counting our support of the Dixie Duals (for years) and/or now King of the Hill Duals and VA Beach Nationals in March OR our string of summer duals that we attend every weekend in June up until the dead period begins. Again, this has been the norm for us since 2012. Don't forget about the kids we've had on schoolboy, cadet, and junior teams the past several summers. Doesn't seem to lazy to me. But, again, I'm open to suggestions as I'm sure that all our many other Pride MS and HS coaches are. Not back-patting here...just defending our Pride Coaches (myself included) for being tabbed as lazy. But, if being lazy means not "going out (and) getting" talent, then, I suppose we are lazy. But, we're at least out working, conditioning, practicing, and finding competition all spring and summer whether it's posted on social media or blasted in the local paper or not. 

We've put a plan and a great coach w/ a great staff in place now for the kids level and we'll keep doing what we do in the off-season on the MS and HS levels. All we can do is work hard, provide opportunities, and do the right things. If that occurs, winning and losing takes care of itself. And, we're thankful for Mr. Jones and his matching funds that he's provided us through the Jones Foundation. This has helped w/ the revival of our kids program. So, whatever "rumors" that you've heard, are obviously false. 

But, as the proud alumni that you are, we appreciate your concern and opinion. I look forward to seeing you and many other Bear fans tomorrow. Rest assured, we'll do our best. We do not intend to lay down. That's not our style. 

Lastly, fooseball95, you won't hear any excuses from my staff, my program, or myself. Josh and the HCWC crew do a great job as does Joey and his. So, please don't confuse others w/ us. 

Best of luck to both programs involved tomorrow night. God Bless and Go BEARS!!!

Ben Smith, Bradley Wrestling

423-650-2662, [email protected]

22 minutes ago, bradleywrestling22x said:

Who are our Pride coaches, DaBears1976? Or, Mr. Goodman, I presume. And, since you know so much about Pride, who are they and on what levels do each of them focus on? Pride Wrestling Club encompasses all levels of our program: Kids, MS, and HS...just like most wrestling clubs do. So, you're painting w/ a very wide brush w/ the above statement. 

The phrase "going out (and) getting" athletes, to me, refers to recruiting athletes from other programs and coaches. Surely, that's not the way you want things done here? B/c if so, I missed that memo or meeting. And, that's not the way we want to do business at Pride, LF, or BC. Now, if you're referencing purchasing local billboards, running ads in local papers, handing out flyers at football games, renting booths at block parties/fall festivals, doing social media pushes, etc...we've been doing that for as long as I've been around for our Kids Program. What other suggestions do you have? We had over 50 kids sign-up this year and had to turn nearly 20 away due to lack of space and safety concern. Now, "keeping our talent"...perhaps. Hence the change at the top of our kids program w/ Coach Logsdon. We recognized it and have put a plan in action to stop the potential bleeding. And, I assure you, Coach Logsdon is more than just a name. Give him time and we'll be just fine. He's yet to finish his first year. Just because we don't blast or paste every little practice, trip, or tournament a wrestler or team full of wrestlers of ours takes, doesn't mean that they're not out there working and competing. In the words of Coach Logsdon and Coach Jackson, we prefer to just paddle our own canoe. If our backs deserve to be patted, we prefer others to pat them...not ourselves. 

Now, Pride MS or HS Coaches being lazy? That's the farthest from a fact and just plan offensive. Any given weekend in March, April, May, and/or June you can find a contingent of Pride wrestlers and coaches at just about any TNUSAW event. We support ALL TNUSAW events and even host one...the Keller Classic...have for years now. You should check it out. We've had very high if not the highest number of entrants in just about all TNUSAW sanctioned events for several years now. And, that's not counting our support of the Dixie Duals (for years) and/or now King of the Hill Duals and VA Beach Nationals in March OR our string of summer duals that we attend every weekend in June up until the dead period begins. Again, this has been the norm for us since 2012. Don't forget about the kids we've had on schoolboy, cadet, and junior teams the past several summers. Doesn't seem to lazy to me. But, again, I'm open to suggestions as I'm sure that all our many other Pride MS and HS coaches are. Not back-patting here...just defending our Pride Coaches (myself included) for being tabbed as lazy. But, if being lazy means not "going out (and) getting" talent, then, I suppose we are lazy. But, we're at least out working, conditioning, practicing, and finding competition all spring and summer whether it's posted on social media or blasted in the local paper or not. 

We've put a plan and a great coach w/ a great staff in place now for the kids level and we'll keep doing what we do in the off-season on the MS and HS levels. All we can do is work hard, provide opportunities, and do the right things. If that occurs, winning and losing takes care of itself. And, we're thankful for Mr. Jones and his matching funds that he's provided us through the Jones Foundation. This has helped w/ the revival of our kids program. So, whatever "rumors" that you've heard, are obviously false. 

But, as the proud alumni that you are, we appreciate your concern and opinion. I look forward to seeing you and many other Bear fans tomorrow. Rest assured, we'll do our best. We do not intend to lay down. That's not our style. 

Lastly, fooseball95, you won't hear any excuses from my staff, my program, or myself. Josh and the HCWC crew do a great job as does Joey and his. So, please don't confuse others w/ us. 

Best of luck to both programs involved tomorrow night. God Bless and Go BEARS!!!

I’m not confusing u guys with anybody coach, I’m simply standing up for my program (alum) just has u are. But when Bradley fans say we are on top because of money it’s a joke. It’s a slap in the face to our whole program by pretty much saying they don’t work hard and everything is given to Cleveland. Jones matches our funds just like he does y’all. I think it’s always a slap in you guys face as well meaning y’all aren’t working hard and using money as a outcry whenever everyone knows that’s not true. No disrespect from me

2 hours ago, bradleywrestling22x said:

If you ask me, Lake Forest (AKA Pride) looked pretty darn good to me. Just Saturday I had the other top coaches 'round here pleading me not to invite you guys back to our duals anymore!

8 hours ago, JSamson7 said:

If you ask me, Lake Forest (AKA Pride) looked pretty darn good to me. Just Saturday I had the other top coaches 'round here pleading me not to invite you guys back to our duals anymore!

I was informed by a Nashville Catholic coach that Lake Forest wrestled NCW on Thursday evening when Bradley Central wrestled against Father Ryan.  From everything that I have heard it was a good match and both teams agreed to continue doing this in the future.

12 hours ago, fooseball95 said:

I’m not confusing u guys with anybody coach, I’m simply standing up for my program (alum) just has u are. But when Bradley fans say we are on top because of money it’s a joke. It’s a slap in the face to our whole program by pretty much saying they don’t work hard and everything is given to Cleveland. Jones matches our funds just like he does y’all. I think it’s always a slap in you guys face as well meaning y’all aren’t working hard and using money as a outcry whenever everyone knows that’s not true. No disrespect from me

Agreed, sir. But, please understand, that our "fans" or a few "fans" do not speak for us or our program as a whole. Most of the people on here are nameless, faceless entities who actually know very little or at least present inaccurate information. So, let me speak for our coaches and our program and clear any air. The hard work that HCWC and CHS has put in over the YEARS on ALL levels is noticed, noted, not taken lightly, and motivating. Hence, the change on our Kids level and continued rigorous off-season schedule for our MS and HS levels. Our staff and theirs, generally speaking, have a very good, respectable working relationships. I would say, at least from our side, that there is mutual respect. Whatever economical advantages they may or may not have (on the record, I have no clue what they do or do not receive from Mr. Jones or anyone, if anything...I'm not on their staff...nor do I have access to their books), there is no disregard for their hard work and time that they put in...as a whole, from HCWC (all levels), Cleveland Middle, and Cleveland High. We notice and respect all hard work that is being put in across the state. Hence the rise of other AAA powerhouses and regulars at the top of the rankings, not just Cleveland/HCWC. So, fooseball95, I hope this clears the air on where we stand as a program and coaches. Best of luck tonight. Hopefully we'll win more than one or two matches as predicted by some. God Bless and Go BEARS!!!

[email protected], 423-650-2662

1 hour ago, bradleywrestling22x said:

Agreed, sir. But, please understand, that our "fans" or a few "fans" do not speak for us or our program as a whole. Most of the people on here are nameless, faceless entities who actually know very little or at least present inaccurate information. So, let me speak for our coaches and our program and clear any air. The hard work that HCWC and CHS has put in over the YEARS on ALL levels is noticed, noted, not taken lightly, and motivating. Hence, the change on our Kids level and continued rigorous off-season schedule for our MS and HS levels. Our staff and theirs, generally speaking, have a very good, respectable working relationships. I would say, at least from our side, that there is mutual respect. Whatever economical advantages they may or may not have (on the record, I have no clue what they do or do not receive from Mr. Jones or anyone, if anything...I'm not on their staff...nor do I have access to their books), there is no disregard for their hard work and time that they put in...as a whole, from HCWC (all levels), Cleveland Middle, and Cleveland High. We notice and respect all hard work that is being put in across the state. Hence the rise of other AAA powerhouses and regulars at the top of the rankings, not just Cleveland/HCWC. So, fooseball95, I hope this clears the air on where we stand as a program and coaches. Best of luck tonight. Hopefully we'll win more than one or two matches as predicted by some. God Bless and Go BEARS!!!

[email protected], 423-650-2662

If the coaches move Trae to 113 and Jackson to 120 to wrestle Wes (which Jackson should win that match fairly easy) that woukd knock one of Bradley's win out. Bradley's 106 i heard is good. Should be one of Bradley's only wins if Trae moves up of course. I was told this morning that Skyler tore his ACL possibly over the weekend? That one will hurt if he is out or done for the year. DJ will get his test tonight. Could possibly walk away defeated. Like it or not, DaBears and Foose is right on all sorts of things posted. But just like i told an certain person this morning, who cares what coaches are doing what, who is spending or receiving more money, we're all in the same county and should support all 4 clubs, Cleveland, Higher Calling, Bradley and Pride. For these is what makes this county the most dominate county ever in the state. That being said, let the butt whooping take place tonight! 

My "prediction " 

Cleveland 60 Bears 9

WVHS wrestling program gets boost by Jones

WALKER VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL wrestling head coach Al Morris, center, accepts a check from the Allan Jones Foundation. With Morris are Jones Management Services Vice President J. Bailey Jones, left, and Will Jones, right, vice president of Jones Properties.
WALKER VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL wrestling head coach Al Morris, center, accepts a check from the Allan Jones Foundation. With Morris are Jones Management Services Vice President J. Bailey Jones, left, and Will Jones, right, vice president of Jones Properties.
CONTRIBUTED PHOTO
Posted Wednesday, January 9, 2019 10:03 am
Special to the Banner

The Walker Valley High School wrestling program received a recent boost of support from the Allan Jones Foundation. 

Al Morris, head coach of Walker Valley wrestling, announced that his program received a check from the Jones Foundation for $2,000. The donation was to help the program meet its annual fundraising goal. 

“The generous donation given by the Allan Jones Foundation actually allowed us to surpass our goal,” Miller said. “Thanks to the foundation, I’m proud to say that we are positioned to have a very competitive season.”

J. Bailey Jones, vice president at Jones Management Services and a representative of the foundation, was a  160-pound Division 1 state champion in 2010. He set the all-time record with 125 takedowns in the Chattanooga area that stood until 2012 when another Cleveland wrestler, four-time state champion Chris DeBien, broke it with 134 takedowns. 

“Our foundation is proud to support all three of our local high schools,” Jones said. “We give the programs the challenge to raise money on their own, and we are always ready to pitch in and help.” 

Will Jones, vice president of Jones Properties, agreed. 

“If there is a state championship won in wrestling, the Allan Jones Foundation wants it to be one of our [community's] three schools,” Jones said.

quote.png
“Our foundation is proud to support all three of our local high schools. We give the programs the challenge to raise money on their own, and we are always ready to pitch in and help.” ”

— J. BAILEY JONES

Comments

NO COMMENTS ON THIS STORY | PLEASE LOG IN TO COMMENT BY CLICKING HERE

WELCOME! Login | Subscribe
fuof.png
ai.php?filename=grayepperson2019.jpg&con

Match summary

No. 1 BLUE RAIDERS 54

No. 4 BEARS 10

match started at 120

106 — Trae McDaniel (C) pinned Ethan Wilson, 5:08; 113 – Jackson Bradford (C) tech. fall  Glen O’Daniel, 17-2, 5:11; 120 – Wes Devaney (BC) major dec. Blake Randall, 11-2; 126 – Daniel Mroz (BC) dec. Burns Meagher, 5-0; 132 – Gavin Hughes (BC) dec. Garrett Stevenson, 5-3; 138 – Logan Whiteside (C) pinned Carson Parker, :35; 145 – Grant Lundy (Clev) tech. fall Sebastian Hernandez, 19-4, 5:11; 152 – Austin Sweeney (C) pinned Brance Falls, 2:53;

160 – Zach Brezna (C) dec. Seth Gerena, 6-5; 170 – Ashton Davis (C) dec. Tyrone McDonald, 7-5 OT; 182 – Dylan Jones (C) pinned Trey Johnson, 1:05; 195 – Isaiah Perez (C) dec. DJ Gibson, 7-3; 220 – Wilson Benefield (C) pinned Gavin Sewell, 3:06; 285 – Titus Swafford (C) pinned Austin McClure, 2:19. Cleveland had one team point deducted for excessive celebration.